"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2020, 06:12 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 208
Am I having mental disorder?

I always know that there is a big and frightening lizard living and hiding behind my refrigerator, it doesn't show up very often, but it sometimes comes out and scares me.

A few days ago I saw him again, he was climbing on my washed plates and bowls.... I was shocked and he was shocked too, he then escaped quickly.

Since then I have never used the plates and bowls that he once climbed on it. I
have washed them again and again but I still haven't used them to serve my food. I just put them away, I do not want to throw them away because I think
it doesn't make sense because they are all good. However, I can immediately connect to the memory that the lizard climbed on them..... I think it 's so
dirty no matter how many times I have washed them and how much detergent I have used.....

Is it a disorder???

kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:24 PM   #2
Master Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 9,574
Donate the plates to charity and buy new ones. You could donate the lizard too!
__________________
I Luv Sandy Eggo!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:01 PM   #3
Head Chef
 
pepperhead212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Woodbury, NJ
Posts: 1,942
You could thing of the lizard in a positive way - it may have been eating some bugs off that plate that you couldn't see!
__________________
Dave
pepperhead212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:37 AM   #4
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,576
Don't worry, we all have our quirks and foibles!

As an example, I won't walk barefoot on a hotel room carpet.

If the plates are easily replaced it might be best for you to let them go.

You could also save them for those special people in your life that annoy you.

For me, I would wash them and use them.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:44 AM   #5
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Donate the plates to charity and buy new ones. You could donate the lizard too!
There are also several YouTube videos on how to prepare and serve lizards.

The cook's revenge for a lizard that can't wait to sit on a plate!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:49 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 13,310
Buy new dishes or spend a week at an OCD camp.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:21 AM   #7
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Don't worry, we all have our quirks and foibles!

As an example, I won't walk barefoot on a hotel room carpet.

If the plates are easily replaced it might be best for you to let them go.

You could also save them for those special people in your life that annoy you.

For me, I would wash them and use them.

I want to wash them too, because they are quite new, expensive, delicate...and 100% usable

But I can easily remember that the big and white and horrible lizard that

once climbed on them..... I cannot forget ....

In fact, could the lizard leave any micro dirt or particles or bacteria and get into the plates that cannot be washed away??
kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:26 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,907
No, as long as the plates are well-washed with soap and hot water, they won't have any residue on them. Honestly, if it bothers you that much, just buy new plates and give these away.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
luckytrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southeastern pa.
Posts: 14,522
Forget the Plates........ it's the lizard that must go .............
__________________
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
luckytrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytrim View Post
Forget the Plates........ it's the lizard that must go .............
Yeah. Maybe there's a way to trap it.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:37 PM   #11
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,390
Kenny - how big is this lizard? Gecko size or bigger?

If this is common where you live I'm sure there must be many people around you that would know now to trap one. I'm sure you're not the only one that has the problem.

Actually I'm the complete opposite - my reaction would be more nervous NOT seeing him and wondering just where he is!
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:08 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 13,310
My cat brings in small lizards into the house all the time and plays with them til they’re about half dead. I pick them up with a paper towel for disposal.
I used to be afraid of lizards but my cat helped me cure this phobia. Thanks Mozart!
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #13
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Kenny - how big is this lizard? Gecko size or bigger?

If this is common where you live I'm sure there must be many people around you that would know now to trap one. I'm sure you're not the only one that has the problem.

Actually I'm the complete opposite - my reaction would be more nervous NOT seeing him and wondering just where he is!
Yes, Gecko size , at least, if not bigger. Very horrible....

I don't know if it's common but I have been living here for 20+ years and
I only see lizard of this size and color (big and white) this year....

Luckily it almost always stays behind my refrigerator only, and unluckily, looks like plastic tape trap doesn't work on him. I had put many plastic tape and it trapped some small lizards....
kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
Yes, Gecko size , at least, if not bigger. Very horrible....

I don't know if it's common but I have been living here for 20+ years and
I only see lizard of this size and color (big and white) this year....

Luckily it almost always stays behind my refrigerator only, and unluckily, looks like plastic tape trap doesn't work on him. I had put many plastic tape and it trapped some small lizards....
Well, I think you should tell "the big ugly" Thank you for eating all the other lizards that come in.

Is white his normal colour, or maybe it's because he's never been outside?
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:05 AM   #15
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Well, I think you should tell "the big ugly" Thank you for eating all the other lizards that come in.

Is white his normal colour, or maybe it's because he's never been outside?
Could a bigger lizard feed on smaller lizards??? Don't they just feed on
coaches and flies???
kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.