What Do You Think of Thanksgiving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Do You Think of Thanksgiving?

• Where I go... the food isnt great, but I love the people!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • People come to MY house. I cook and they better like it! :)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good food and seeing everyone that I don't get to see, except at Thanksgiving and Christmas is what makes it so special to me.

I LOVE it because of answer #2 - it's a time for family and friends with NO other reason for getting together except food and friendship.
I agree wholeheartedly! altho it's third on my list of favorite holidays, after Christmas and Passover. :)

My Mom had a lot of issues, but when she got into the kitchen, she left them all behind. Not just Thanksgiving, I don't remember ever having less than a stellar meal at her table. All our dinners were "family time" since I grew up in a time and in a family where all dinners were eaten together, all eating the same menu, and we all talked about our days and did a lot of brainstorming at the dinner table.

Food and friendship are (for me) the true music of life, and so, even tho every day is one to be thankful for, and to give thanks for ones blessings, it's good to have Thanksgiving as a special day set aside to remind us when we get off track.

I love Thanksgiving. Friends, family, good food, good drink, pinochle and no worries about presents. Plus, though I cook, I don't have to clean!

Thanksgiving is a good holiday, but I enjoyed it more in my youth. As an adult, we tend to be at Mrs. Big Dog's family's since my family lives about 1500 miles east. Interestingly enough, we both prefer it with my family.

I appreciate the time to reflect on the multitude of blessings I have, and enjoy to various extents the company. Certainly not my favorite holiday, but enjoyable.

FraidKnot said:
I have two Thanksgiving stories.

The first takes place around 1976. My mom hates to cook and she kept seeing these ads on television for "Let Kroger Cook It For You!" So she caved, called up and ordered a turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, a pumpkin pie. We went to pick it up. My brother helped us put in in the trunk of the car but he said, "Hmmm, this feels awfully cold."

Turned out everything was frozen solid. The turkey was not only frozen, it was not cooked. The mashed potatoes were in a bucket, cooked but frozen. Ditto the dressing and ditto the pumpkin pie. Um, HELLO? The ads led everyone to believe the meal would be hot, cooked and ready to go. Apparently they just stuck it in a box. We had steak and baked potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner that year.

Meanwhile back at the ranch... it was around 1988 and my brother and I were roommates. My brother decided it would be a good idea to smoke the Thanksgiving turkey. Happened to be the coldest November in Memphis on record. My brother had decided to go out the night before and have a little bit to drink. He came home around 3AM. Dragged himself out of bed around 6AM to put the bird on the smoker. Heh. It was sooooooo cold outside he couldn't keep the smoker going. By the time the bird was done, lets just say it's a good thing we weren't expecting company! And after all that, the turkey didn't taste very good. :-p

Fraidy
I love these stories - Thank you for sharing them with us. It reminded me of the Thanksgiving we had years ago. The dinner was at our house - The house was full - My aunt raised Great Danes at the time so of course we had a huge Great Dane at the time named "Pretty Girl" who was running around all excited to have all the kids to play with. The dinner was ready to serve - My mother had set the table and putthe turkey out to rest . Meanwhile everyone is running around placing things on the table when we hear this scream from the living room - we all run into the room to see the dog running around with the 25lb turkey in his mouth - The whole house is now chasing this huge great dane - looked like a scene from a movie - My mom caught the dog and wrestled that bird from his mouth - Needless to say we had a huge feast minus half a turkey that year.

Last edited:
We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in the UK - and I know that the Canadian Thanksgiving has been and gone... but I wish all the US contingent a happy day, when it arrives.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom