What Do You Think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
SO wanted to check out a super market in Danbury . . .

Photo - 1.jpeg

Not sure I could handle this much color early in the morning. So do you think they taste like Skittles?

A place here makes them like that sometimes. They are just plain bagels and I've only ever seen really little kids or young girls eat them.

Thats a little too much for me, kinda like that purple ketchup Heinz made . Im a purist.
I agree with this.

And what's funny about the purple (and also green) ketchup, they apparently were trying to appeal to kids. My son, who was (and still is) a ketchup lover, wouldn't touch any of it.

As for the rainbow bagels (I'm assuming those are bagels) I'd pass on those.

I had to enlarge the picture twice to figure out what they were!
My first thought was they were hacky sacs! then donuts and finally bagels.
Wonder if they come out the same colour going in. Disgusting I know but the thought was there.

nope and nope again.

They used paste food coloring and you don't really need too much of that to get rich deep colors. I know this for sure because i made my daughter's wedding cake, complete with plates, columns and a fountain, and the base color was royal blue, like the blue above, with white fleur-de-lis and curved shell piped decorations. There was no added taste from the food coloring in the icing. No fondant because she hated the taste and having to peel it off, so I found a technique to make icing look as smooth as fondant. Extra work but worth it. Guests wanted to know the bakery because it was the best wedding cake they had ever tasted.

Yes, paste food coloring comes out pretty much the same. Maybe not quite as bright if long baking in oven, but close.

Remember too that the bagel dough rose so not quite as much food coloring as it would appear in the final product.

They used paste food coloring and you don't really need too much of that to get rich deep colors. I know this for sure because i made my daughter's wedding cake, complete with plates, columns and a fountain, and the base color was royal blue, like the blue above, with white fleur-de-lis and curved shell piped decorations. There was no added taste from the food coloring in the icing. No fondant because she hated the taste and having to peel it off, so I found a technique to make icing look as smooth as fondant. Extra work but worth it. Guests wanted to know the bakery because it was the best wedding cake they had ever tasted.

Yes, paste food coloring comes out pretty much the same. Maybe not quite as bright if long baking in oven, but close.

Remember too that the bagel dough rose so not quite as much food coloring as it would appear in the final product.
True, and I'm sure they don't taste like a mouthful of food dye. But still... we eat with our eyes first and those are not visually appealing.

True, and I'm sure they don't taste like a mouthful of food dye. But still... we eat with our eyes first and those are not visually appealing.
Maybe not to you, but, as noted above, I've only seen little kids or young girls eat them in the place that makes them here. They are visually appealing to small children and young girls.

Different strokes for different folks!

Maybe not to you, but, as noted above, I've only seen little kids or young girls eat them in the place that makes them here. They are visually appealing to small children and young girls.

Different strokes for different folks!
Well, of course, that's what I meant. To me personally. I'm not speaking for everyone.

I had to enlarge the picture twice to figure out what they were!
My first thought was they were hacky sacs! then donuts and finally bagels.
Wonder if they come out the same colour going in. Disgusting I know but the thought was there.

nope and nope again.
My wife gave me a huge green frosted cupcake once. Must have had a pound of green frosting.

Lets just say it was a bit alarming on the way out...

My wife gave me a huge green frosted cupcake once. Must have had a pound of green frosting.

Lets just say it was a bit alarming on the way out...
Every time I eat beets I have a 😳 reaction until I remember I had beets.

@Andy M. those would be a hard "no" for me. I don't even like the red or blue M&Ms. Nor the orange. Actually, the only ones I eat are the brown ones,the color of chocolate.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom