This sounds like a great idea - Preserved Lemons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The way they describe the preservation, you still will not be able to use the rind. I've done it in a very similar way many times and rind is not usable. You do collect a lot of juice though. In my case preservation was not a goal, but a necessity.

The rind and pith are usually the only part that is useful. The pulp is pretty lacking by the time it's preserved, kind of like the mirepoix after making stock. You can use it if you want, but it doesn't add much. The juice is mostly just salt, and unusable.

I always have a jar in my fridge. It's a common ingredient in Mediterranean and North African food.

I'm glad you asked the question, Kayelle. I have one paper recipe that calls for them that I spirited away, probably never to be found again. :ermm: Now that I know how very many uses for them, I can't wait for Meyers lemons to be in season again. That's the only time I see them here. At $2.99 for a one-pound bag (about 7 lemons) I find them to be a real deal. When Meyers are available here, regular lemons are going for 2/$1 or 2/89 cents.

Meanwhile, I guess I'll just slum it and make a small batch with regular lemons.

Slumming it? No. It's not necessary to use Meyer lemons for this. They don't even have Meyer lemons in Morocco. Any type will work fine.

Well, I'm glad someone convinced you.
Aww, you did too. :flowers:;)

I'm glad you asked the question, Kayelle. I have one paper recipe that calls for them that I spirited away, probably never to be found again. :ermm: Now that I know how very many uses for them, I can't wait for Meyers lemons to be in season again. That's the only time I see them here. At $2.99 for a one-pound bag (about 7 lemons) I find them to be a real deal. When Meyers are available here, regular lemons are going for 2/$1 or 2/89 cents.

Meanwhile, I guess I'll just slum it and make a small batch with regular lemons.

I'm more than thankful to have a Meyer lemon tree. The reason they are so expensive to purchase is they don't ship well with their thin delicate skin.

Since it's only the preserved skin that's used, I see no reason to preserve the whole lemon, nor does the author of that site on the subject. http://mjskitchen.com/2014/02/recipes-using-preserved-lemons/
Quick Preserved Lemons in less than 24 hours

Instructions

1. Peel the zest off 1 large lemon. Try not to get any of the white pith.
  2. Juice the lemon and set the juice aside.
  3. Cut the zest into narrow strips and place in a glass jar or bowl. Top with 1 tsp. (5 g) salt and the lemon juice.
  4. Stir to dissolve some of the salt. If the juice does not cover the zest, add more lemon juice.
  5. Let sit on the counter for 20 to 24 hours or longer.
  6. After 24 hours, both the zest and the juice are ready for use.
  7. Be careful about adding salt to any dish in which you use preserved lemons. They are pretty salty.

Last edited:
Dang...something sounded like a good idea to me and I posted it and now there are 3 pages of discussion! Who'd have thunk?

I'm gonna make them the way that takes a month. I'll let you know what I think of them in a month. I love cooking with lemon. Most fish must have it. It does wonders for Chicken.

What got me was that the article said that is lemon with umami. I yearn for umami and when a new different way of getting it presents itself I must try it and decide for myself.

LizStreithorst, look what you started!

Although I knew about preserved lemons, except for the one recipe I set aside, I hadn't a clue what to do with them. Since the Greek deli near us sells jars at around $6-plus, I wasn't in a hurry to buy them so they could take up space in my fridge. Thanks to your query and the rest of us scurrying around and posting hints, I put up a jar today! Made them from a 1# bag of "Sunkist Baby Lemons". $1.99 for the bag. Thanks for the push, guys. ;)

Attachments

• 2016-08-05 17.46.26.jpg
    2016-08-05 17.46.26.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 163
When we get back home Sunday, my batch of preserved lemons I started last month should be ready for testing!

I love this idea to purée some of the preserved lemons, to make it easier to use a little bit at a time. There are more good suggestions in the comments: http://foodinjars.com/2013/01/preserves-in-action-pureed-preserved-lemons/

This is one of my favorite sites for ideas on preserving all kinds of things. I have two of her books.

Last edited:
The last time I made them, I found it easier to just quarter the lemons, rather than cut them partway through, so that's what I did last month.

Attachments

• 1470455345464.jpg
    1470455345464.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 136
I put these Meyer Lemons up two years ago as gifts ... one jar for my Mother and the other for my chef-y friend.

preserved meyer lemons 004.JPG

They both loved them!
My friend who owns a restaurant in Colorado said that the Persevered Meyer Lemons were far superior to the Preserved Persian Lemons.
I should make another round, Christmas will be upon us soon and I just adore food as gifts!

Wondering if a similar result could be had with limes. Mexican friends have an unending supply of limes in their grocery stores, no lemons to be found.

Wondering if a similar result could be had with limes...

I think that would be really good! I would definitely give it a try.

I found a blog that tells you how to preserve lemons, limes and Kumquat. Kumquats? I'm in! Mom used to get those every year at Thanksgiving. I loved to pop them whole into my mouth and brace for a shudder! After that, they were so good.

The deli mentioned in this article is about 60 miles from our house - or nearly an hour and a half as the roads flow. However, it is just a short hop over to the Penzeys store in Arlington. If I remember it, we'll have to hop and skip next time we go to that Penzeys.

On the road to Marrakech - Preserved lemons, limes, and kumquats.

And now I have Crosby, Stills and Nash singing in my ear...:wacko:

CG, "All aboard..." HA! Now you've done it to me !!!
I've bookmarked that article/blogpost, but I have a question to the group:
What kind of recipes or applications could I use for the kumquats?
I've had a kumquat before, what do they taste like?
I think that would make a fantastic gift, a jar each of lemons, limes and kumquats, don't you think?

GG, my girlfriend, who is a rockin' chef/owner of her own restaurant said that Meyer Lemons have a sweeter, more mellow flavor to them and work beautifully Preserved. Preserving Meyer Lemons is a great idea because they have such a short season... I also freeze them for later use.

KGirl, kumquats are neat. The sweetness is in the peel, with a really sour pulp as you bite into one. You eat the whole thing, um, whole. My grandma used to get them in her Christmas fruit basket, and I happily ate the kumquats.

Love your preserved citrus gift idea!

Last edited:
I think that would make a fantastic gift, a jar each of lemons, limes and kumquats, don't you think?

GG, my girlfriend, who is a rockin' chef/owner of her own restaurant said that Meyer Lemons have a sweeter, more mellow flavor to them and work beautifully Preserved. Preserving Meyer Lemons is a great idea because they have such a short season... I also freeze them for later use.

I like the gift idea, too, although there aren't many on my gift list who would make good use of them.

Re the Meyer lemons - if sweeter is what you're going for, great :) The thing I like best about Persian lemons is their puckeriness as a counterpoint to the richness of stews.

24-hours after closing the lid on my canning jar, I did the smoosh-and-shake thing with the lemons and am amazed by how pliable they have become already! I didn't get quite enough juice at this point, so I squeezed another lemon's worth into the jar. I just hope I can wait to use them. Per the article I posted from the blog:

"We recommend that people allow their preserved lemons to cure for a month, unrefrigerated, before using...if you use them too early you won’t get the full effect"

A MONTH??? :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom