ISO tips for using xlrg cookie cutters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

terrabear

Assistant Cook
Hi - I am making gingerbread men. I wanted a really big cutter for writing names on them. I got a 7.5 in gingerbread man and woman. Today I used them and realized how tricky this is gonna be! I think the recipe I have may be too soft for such big cookies. I need them to be tougher to hold up. Any tips or suggestions for working with large cookie cutters?

thanks!

I like to make great big gingerbread cookies too. Paula Deen's recipe is really a good one, and the cookies keep their shape. They're so sturdy, that I keep them in a cookie jar and they never break.
As for the recipe - I add way more spice than she does. About 3-4x more ginger, at least double the cinnamon and fresh nutmeg. Everything else is the same.

I read a suggestion for this somewhere: Put a piece of parchment paper large enough to cover the cookie sheet on the counter and roll out the dough on that. Press the cutter on the dough to cut out the cookies. Now just pick up the dough in between the cookies, transfer the parchment to the cookie sheet, and you're ready to bake. HTH.

The other thing that you can add to what GotGarlic said is that you can roll and chill the dough on the parchment on the cookie sheet and then, cut the cookies and remove the excess dough. Also, don't roll the cookies too thin.

Back
Top Bottom