Two meatloaf observations/questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I made meatloaf that was a minor experiment. I usually use half a kilo (about a pound) of ground beef to make a meatloaf. We discovered that meatloaf freezes well, so tonight I made my first ever one kilo meatloaf. Of course it took longer to bake, but it seemed to need salt. I have never added salt, per se, to my meatloaf. There is salt in the Worcestershire and in the fish sauce. The other thing that surprised me, was how high the middle of it got. Why does my meatloaf rise? I have actually noticed this, in a minor way, with the half kilo meatloaf, but it wasn't very noticeable, so I didn't give it much thought. But this double meatloaf, made in the same Pyrex loaf pan that I always use, really rose up, the full length of the loaf, down the middle. Anyone have any idea why. Also wondering why the double meatloaf needed extra salt.

Just guessing, but I would think that a higher percentage of moisture cooks off in the smaller loaf, leaving less meat to the salt you added. A lower percentage cooked off in the larger loaf, making it less salty. If made into a free standing loaf, and just twice as long, it probably wouldn't make a difference, but in the same pan, with the same crust size, it probably made a big difference.

Just guessing, but I would think that a higher percentage of moisture cooks off in the smaller loaf, leaving less meat to the salt you added. A lower percentage cooked off in the larger loaf, making it less salty. If made into a free standing loaf, and just twice as long, it probably wouldn't make a difference, but in the same pan, with the same crust size, it probably made a big difference.

That makes perfect sense. DH noticed that this meatloaf was even moister than usual. I didn't notice, because I had already put some of the liquid that comes out of the meatloaf on my piece, and on my potatoes.

When meat cooks, the heat causes the muscle fibers to contract. That's what causes it to rise. That's why it's recommended to create a divot in a hamburger patty. As it cooks and contracts, the divot prevents the patty from developing a mound in the middle.

When meat cooks, the heat causes the muscle fibers to contract. That's what causes it to rise. That's why it's recommended to create a divot in a hamburger patty. As it cooks and contracts, the divot prevents the patty from developing a mound in the middle.

:doh: D'oh! We do that with burgers. Where are my brains?:rolleyes: :LOL:

Great explanation for something I should have known.

I've been doing the divot for years and never really questioned why. I think I must have seen it done, at some time and just went with it. :ermm: :LOL:

Ross

One of my original go-to meatloaf recipes, cooked in a loaf pan, called for making three holes equally placed down the length.

Made with the end of my wooden spoon, I would insert and give it a squiggle to enlarge a bit. Extra juices/fat would gather in there. Easily poured off or left behind in the pan when the loaf was lifted out.

Then I started making most of my meatloaves freeform on a sheet pan, so the holes weren't really necessary. But I would/will continue making the holes if the loaf is being baked in a loaf pan.

Although the centres raised a bit, nothing notable.

taxy, I would say you need to change the size of the pan if you are changing the quantity of the largest ingredient.

One of my original go-to meatloaf recipes, cooked in a loaf pan, called for making three holes equally placed down the length.

Made with the end of my wooden spoon, I would insert and give it a squiggle to enlarge a bit. Extra juices/fat would gather in there. Easily poured off or left behind in the pan when the loaf was lifted out.

Then I started making most of my meatloaves freeform on a sheet pan, so the holes weren't really necessary. But I would/will continue making the holes if the loaf is being baked in a loaf pan.

Although the centres raised a bit, nothing notable.

taxy, I would say you need to change the size of the pan if you are changing the quantity of the largest ingredient.
I pour off the fat after baking and use it to make gravy for the mashed potatoes [emoji39]

Taxy, you could also use a muffin pan for extra meat mixture and make meat muffins [emoji16]

<snip

That would assume I was using the right size of pan to start with. :LOL:

I use a Pyrex loaf pan. I have always looked at the meatloaf in that pan and thought I should make a bigger meatloaf in it. I like the taller meatloaf. It's proportioned better. I will just make adjustments as warranted.

In don’t use a loaf pan when I’m cooking meatloaf. I just shape it on a quarter sheet pan and pop it in the oven. That way I get an all over crust.

I have done meatloaf two different ways. I used to place paper towels in the bottom of the loaf pan to absorb the grease so the meatloaf doesn't 'boil' in it. Now I form the meatloaf in a loaf pan, turn it upside down on a broiler pan like the one that comes with your stove, and remove the loaf pan. This allows the grease to drain into the pan below and makes the top and sides nice and crisp.

Yes, I am a professional, but go ahead and try this at home anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELzhPuBMJFE

Last edited:
I will never forget the first time I made meatloaf. In considering the pan to make it, I selected the loaf pan. I was also newly out of my parent's house and did not have much money so I used a high fat ground beef. When it was time for it to be done, I took it out of the oven. It looked like a little raft of meat floating freely in a sea of fat. :) It tasted like it did not get rid of all of its fat...

I now make it in a free loaf form on a quarter sheet.

My meatloaf mixtures turn into meatballs, whether they are made from beef and pork, or chicken. If I'm using a loaf pan, I make either pate, or terrines. If I'm making a meatr loaf, I turn it into a volcano, on a sheet pan. I also like to cook a meatloaf mixture in patties, on the stove top, and make pan gravy, similar to Salisbury Steak. This can also be served with catsup on top.You could almost call a meatloaf mixture a forcemeat,

I have to say though, that a meatloaf made right, in a loaf pan, comes together firmly when chilled, with enough collagen to hold it all together for great sandwich slices. And who doesn't love a great meatloaf sandwich.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Next day (or later) meatloaf sandwiches are one of the great little pleasures in life.

I've been wanting to try a stovetop skillet meatloaf but I haven't yet.

Mayhaps if this kitchen remodel ever gets finished I can make a meatloaf.

I have done smoked meatloaf too, that was pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom