"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2017, 07:13 PM   #1
Executive Chef

ISO Cabbage soup ideas/recipes

My wife has a friend who has a cabbage in the house that she wants to use before it goes bad.

She has had cabbage soup in the past, and wants to try making a cabbage soup.

I have no info on what the cabbage soup she had tried in the past tasted like, or what may have been in it.

My question is, do any of you folks have any cabbage soup recipes you have tried and liked.

***She is NOT a vegetarian, so anything goes***

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
My wife has a friend who has a cabbage in the house that she wants to use before it goes bad.

She has had cabbage soup in the past, and wants to try making a cabbage soup.

I have no info on what the cabbage soup she had tried in the past tasted like, or what may have been in it.

My question is, do any of you folks have any cabbage soup recipes you have tried and liked.

***She is NOT a vegetarian, so anything goes***
Steve Kroll's Hungarian Goulash soup is a winner. There recipe is here somewhere.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
Master Chef

Do a quick search on Kapuska, some versions are spicy and similar to a stew other versions are more like a skillet dinner.

I usually make a Polish American version with sauteed pieces of ham or kielbasa coins, sauteed cabbage, onions, butter and caraway seeds. It should also contain noodles or bow tie pasta but I leave it out because of the carbs. Don't be shy with the butter, added at the end, the cabbage and noodles should have a sort of shine to them. It would be easy enough to make this vegetarian by leaving out the meat, using margarine, adding some cooked butter beans and or carrot coins for a little color.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:00 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I make something called Carpathian cabbage that includes onions, garlic, tomatoes, browned ground beef and lots of cabbage. I don't remember the exact recipe right now but I'll look in my recipe file for it. It's delicious and I've served it to folks who claimed to dislike cooked cabbage.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:19 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

If she's married to the idea of soup, she could also do a riff on a stuffed cabbage dish. There are all kinds of recipes "out there" on the interwebs.

If I had cabbage to get rid off, I'd just do a long, slow simmer with it in a bit of butter and a generous glug of a flavorful beer. She could toss caraway seeds in if she wants. Oh, wait, I DO have cabbage to use...

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:49 AM   #6
Master Chef

If I had a cabbage...

If the cabbage is becoming slightly dilapidated remove the wilted outer leaves and cut a 1/4 inch off the bottom core, put the cabbage in a bowl of water, stem side down, overnight in the refrigerator to crisp up.

I would use half of the cabbage to make a cabbage salad and then use the other half in a dish like Gladys Taber's Stillmeadow Pork Chops and Cabbage. Pork chops, chopped onion, shredded cabbage, a little flour, butter, S&P, milk, cover and bake at 350 for an hour or so until everything is bubbly and a gravy has formed.

If you don't eat pork the cabbage and onions can be combined with a thick cheese sauce, think mac & cheese. Bake in a casserole topped with cracker crumbs at 350 for approx. 45 minutes or until everything is bubbly and the vegetables are tender.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:42 AM   #7
Master Chef

If making vegetarian or simply vegetable, Start with mary qua (how do I spell that?). If making meat start with making good meat broth. When that is ready, add some potatoes, when potatoes are almost ready add shredded cabbage. Super simple. Seasoning to taste.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:48 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
If making vegetarian or simply vegetable, Start with mary qua (how do I spell that?). If making meat start with making good meat broth. When that is ready, add some potatoes, when potatoes are almost ready add shredded cabbage. Super simple. Seasoning to taste.
I'm pretty sure Charlie is referring to "mirepoix," which is usually a mince of carrots, celery and onions. Mirepoix is a great foundation for many dishes.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:23 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I'm pretty sure Charlie is referring to "mirepoix," which is usually a mince of carrots, celery and onions. Mirepoix is a great foundation for many dishes.

Thanks, why can't English be easier. I even googled the thing and still got it wrong.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:35 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

ISO Cabbage soup ideas/recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post

Thanks, why can't English be easier. I even googled the thing and still got it wrong.

We knew what you meant, Charlie. Good to know that mary qua is Russian for mirepoix. And you can blame the French for the word mirepoix. Otherwise we'd just call it certain chopped up vegetables here. Or the trinity in Louisiana.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:48 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
From what I understand, she does seem to be suggesting that she wants it to be a soup.
Im trying to have my wife get more out of her, so I/ We have better direction as to what she is looking for and how I/We can help.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:00 PM   #12
Wannabe TV Chef

Lightbulb Cabbage Soup

I just saw a recipe on some blogsite for what they call Cabbage Casserole that I for one will be trying.
I had a head of cabbage a while back that I just couldn't get to and was going south, so I cored and chopped it, stuff it in a zip-top freezer bag and when I did have some time on my hands, I made Portuguese Bean Soup, and Island staple.
Here's a recipe that lots of folk in Hawaii use:
https://www.foodland.com/recipe/portuguese-bean-soup
Linguica or Portuguese Sausage can be subed for Italian Sausage, either sweet or hot, we like hot.
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:20 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Here is a recipe I use when I have extra cabbage --- I combined several recipes. You may use ground beef instead of turkey. Also, to make the soup in shorter time, you could add precooked rice, pasta, or potatoes, etc. I make lots of this soup and freeze portions for quick lunches or light dinners on cold nights. Enjoy!

Turkey Veggie Soup
1 pound of ground turkey
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2-3 carrots, chopped or diced
2-3 stalks of celery, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 of a large red or green pepper, chopped (optional)
1-2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes (do not drain)
1-2 teaspoons dried or fresh herbs (basil, thyme, oregano, Italian seasonings, etc.)
Salt and pepper to taste
2-4 cups of broth (beef, chicken, or vegetable)
1-2 cup rice, barley, small pasta, or diced potatoes
2-3 cups cabbage and/or kale, thinly sliced or shredded
1 can (15oz.) beans, rinsed and drained

In a large soup pot, sauté the turkey in olive oil until cooked through. Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and pepper. Cook for a few minutes until the veggies are just barely tender.
Add tomato paste, canned tomatoes, herbs, salt, and pepper. Stir until well combined. Add broth and rice OR barley OR pasta OR potatoes. Stir well, bring to a boil and then simmer until rice, etc. is tender.

Add cabbage/kale and beans and simmer for 5-10 minutes more.
Add more salt and pepper to taste, if desired.

NOTE: You may add frozen veggies like peas and corn at the end and let them simmer just a few minutes so they don't over cook. Also, when you sauté the veggies in the beginning of the recipe, you may add any veggies you like such as mushrooms, zucchini, fresh green beans, broccoli, etc. Customize the soup to your taste! Enjoy! (The soup is actually better the next day!)
ShellyCooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:17 PM   #14
Master Chef

I think classic cabbage soup, if there is such thing as classic cabbage soup, is very simple and contains mostly cabbage.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:49 AM   #15
Master Chef

The poor old cabbage is probably gone by now but I thought about a cabbage chowder.

This is a basic recipe. I would probably just wing it, add some onion, leave out the dill, etc...

A little crumbled bacon as a garnish wouldn't hurt.

Potato Cabbage Chowder Recipe - Food.com
Old 04-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

My favourite cabbage soup is a take on cabbage rolls. I use stewed tomatoes (home canned), cabbage, rinsed homemade sauerkraut, homemade beef stock (but you could use veggie stock). I season ground beef as if I were making cabbage rolls, make those into small meatballs and bake in the oven (add about 10 minutes before serving). I freeze the cabbage for about 1/2 hour, then I chop it up (freezing sweetens the cabbage). I dump everything (except the meatballs) into a large pot, and simmer for about 1-1/2 hours. I season it with pepper, paprika, bay, garlic. If I have dill pickles in the fridge, I will put some of the brine in. If I have a can of Frank's kraut juice in the pantry, I sometimes substitute some of the stock with kraut juice. Our kraut is too salty, that is why I rinse it. I serve it with a hearty brown bread and top the soup with a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream. I don't have a recipe, but you could use this one as a guideline:

Sauerkraut Cabbage Roll Soup on Closet Cooking

I don't put rice or potatoes in, but I do put onion and celery in, smoked paprika, sweet paprika.

That's pretty much what I do except I make mini-meatballs seasoned with paprika, etc.

I always make a big pot because I can't stop eating it. It is somewhat addictive if you like sauerkraut.

Tags
cabbage, ideas, recipe, recipes, soup

ISO Cabbage soup ideas/recipes My wife has a friend who has a cabbage in the house that she wants to use before it goes bad. She has had cabbage soup in the past, and wants to try making a cabbage soup. I have no info on what the cabbage soup she had tried in the past tasted like, or what may have been in it. My question is, do any of you folks have any cabbage soup recipes you have tried and liked. ***She is NOT a vegetarian, so anything goes*** 3 stars 1 reviews