Looking for a Bean Soup Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lennycape

Assistant Cook
Hi there I am looking for a nice think Mixed bean soup ... I have looked at a few online and they all look very watery with the beans floating in them ... I am looking for something nice and thick... I have loads of raw beans like .... Butter bean, Kidney bean, Black eyed Bean, lentils and a few other common beans....

Can anyone suggest anything please?????

If I wanted a thick bean soup, I'd follow the recipe but would reduce the amount of liquid called for.

kadesma

Sometimes what i do if i have a watery bean recipe, is when it is finished , i take some of the beans + some of the broth, blend it up, then return it to the pot.

I've never had much luck with the mixed bean soups as the different types of beans cook at different rates.

I use an immersion blender to puree bean soups. They end up thick with a nice creamy texture.

I don't have any mixed bean recipes but do have a very good black bean soup and navy bean soup recipes if you're interested.

Perfect solutions...

Hi there I am looking for a nice think Mixed bean soup ... I have looked at a few online and they all look very watery with the beans floating in them ... I am looking for something nice and thick... I have loads of raw beans like .... Butter bean, Kidney bean, Black eyed Bean, lentils and a few other common beans....

Can anyone suggest anything please?????

Hi Lenny, glad I saw this post! You like your beans just they way I do. Thick and hearty vs. brothy/soupy. I have some excellent think and hearty bean soup recipes, but this one I think is just what you are looking for:
Cajun 15 Bean Soup w/ Smoked Turkey Sausage

Let me know what you think!

Thanks

I've never had much luck with the mixed bean soups as the different types of beans cook at different rates.

that has been my experience as well. usually do just one kind at a time. soak overnight, put is crock pot. us use chicken broth and just to cover the beans. add whatever, ham hock, onion, carrots, your choice. have had no watery soup. but the blending method sounds like it would work. :chef:

Are your beans dried or canned. If they are canned you can just toss them all in the pot with whatever stock and veggies you like and away you go.

If they are dried, then the overnight soak and then a slow simmer in broth would be a great plan. You can then add them all to your soup pot and thicken the broth at will. If you don't like to puree your beans then add some cornstarch slurry to your soup.

Back
Top Bottom