Roasted Root Vegi Bisque

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I just made this for lunch. I licked the ladle. I ate too much, it was that good.

mixed root vegis (no beets, they overwhelm it)
garlic (leave the skin on the cloves)
some onion
a few hot peppers, seeded

Cut vegis in large chunks
toss with olive oil
line a couple of cookie sheets/jelly roll pans with foil
put carrots, peppers, garlic and any smaller pieces on one sheet and the bigger pieces on the other sheet
roast at 350F/175C for about 15-20 minutes
check on the vegis and take out the smaller piece tray if it is done
flip the vegis on the other tray and continue roasting another 10-20 minutes

The vegis should have some very dark bits

take the skins off the garlic cloves

put everything in a pot and almost cover with vegi stock and/or coconut milk (and water, if needed)

simmer for 10 minutes
puree with immersion blender or blender (be careful of hot spattering soup)
add more liquid if it is too thick
season with salt

I hope you guys enjoy it. I have always used both vegi stock and coconut milk. If I didn't have a can of coconut milk, I would grate some creamed coconut into the soup. The coconut milk seems to add a lovely, creaminess to the soup.

It sure does, taxlady...the first time I made a butternut squash soup with coconut milk, I thought I was in heaven. :ohmy::yum:

Tax just saw your recipe it looks so tasty. I've been craving soup so thank you for one that will make me smile.
kades

I just made this for lunch. I licked the ladle. I ate too much, it was that good.

some onion

Cut vegis in large chunks
toss with olive oil
line a couple of cookie sheets/jelly roll pans with foil
put carrots, peppers, garlic and any smaller pieces on one sheet and the bigger pieces on the other sheet
roast at 350F/175C for about 15-20 minutes
check on the vegis and take out the smaller piece tray if it is done
flip the vegis on the other tray and continue roasting another 10-20 minutes

The vegis should have some very dark bits

take the skins off the garlic cloves

put everything in a pot and almost cover with vegi stock and/or coconut milk (and water, if needed)

simmer for 10 minutes
puree with immersion blender or blender (be careful of hot spattering soup)
add more liquid if it is too thick
season with salt
Thanks Taxi

I have learned to be careful with the hot peppers. They burn easily, but a little char is okay. I only add one to the bisque to start with. They vary so much in heat that I only add more if the first doesn't make it as hot as I like. Until I figured that out, we had liquid fire a couple of times, using the same quantity of hot peppers as had been perfect on previous occasions.

I have learned to be careful with the hot peppers. They burn easily, but a little char is okay. I only add one to the bisque to start with. They vary so much in heat that I only add more if the first doesn't make it as hot as I like. Until I figured that out, we had liquid fire a couple of times, using the same quantity of hot peppers as had been perfect on previous occasions.
I'll be careful with the hot peppers. Chillies do not like me!

I forgot that I took photos:

20150105_195514.jpg

20150105_203828.jpg

20150105_203930.jpg

The hard part about trying to follow a recipe which just states "hot peppers" is that not all hot peppers are created equal - not by a considerable margin - and not all people have the same tolerance to spicy foods. User beware is my motto. Starting slowly and adding to taste can be critical. The relative heat can be controlled further by partially or completely removing the seeds and veins in the core of the pepper before cooking.

A jalapeño that I can't take a bite out of when whole, is only mildly spicy when seeded and cored. I've had some which have no heat at all after cleaning, but still great flavor. I just had a whole jalapeño finely chopped in my scrambled eggs for breakfast, and since I removed the core before chopping, it added less heat than a dash of Tabasco. I've had spicier dishes when I added too much black pepper.

Great stuff Tax and I love the photos . You have reminded me of a Jamaican soup that I must make again which is similar . my favourite Chillie pepper is a scotch bonnet.

Great stuff Tax and I love the photos . You have reminded me of a Jamaican soup that I must make again which is similar . my favourite Chillie pepper is a scotch bonnet.
Scotch Bonnets are da bomb. They have a lovely fruity flavour and heat up the wazoo. If I were using Scotch bonnets in this recipe, I would probably start with 1/2 or 1/4 of a pepper.

some onion

Taxzi, the definition of bisque -

Wiki - Bisque is a smooth, creamy, highly seasoned soup of French origin, classically based on a strained broth (coulis) of crustaceans.[1] It can be made from lobster, langoustine, crab, shrimp, or crayfish.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/bisque

Bisque involves seafood. However, whatever you ant o call itt, your recipe looks great.:yum:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Taxzi, the definition of bisque -

Wiki - Bisque is a smooth, creamy, highly seasoned soup of French origin, classically based on a strained broth (coulis) of crustaceans.[1] It can be made from lobster, langoustine, crab, shrimp, or crayfish.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/bisque

Bisque involves seafood. However, whatever you ant o call itt, your recipe looks great.:yum:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I have that same argument with a Portuguese friend every time I mention it. But, it is thick and creamy and highly seasoned. It's what it was called when I came across the recipe.

And as long as people call those American pastries "Danish pastry", and call some preparations of shrimp "scampi" (a different crustacean from shrimp), I won't fuss too much about using the word "bisque" for this soup.

Language and recipes evolve, like everything else. From https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-is-bisque-995579

"The main characteristic of a bisque is that it is smooth and has a velvety texture. Most recipes will include a wine and cream to give it its signature flavor and texture. But it's not merely the choice of ingredient that makes bisque different from other types of soups. It’s also the technique for utilizing that ingredient, including the parts you can't eat, making a bisque what it is.

"Evolution of Bisque
"Authentic recipes for bisque actually ground the shells of the crustacean into a fine paste, using that to thicken the soup. Nowadays, it is more common to use rice as a thickener. In the more distant past, the word "bisque" encompassed soups made from quail or pigeon, sometimes with chunks of crayfish meat added. However, more recently in the culinary world, it has become quite common to see the word bisque used to describe any puréed soup, whether made from crustacean or vegetable, cream-based or thickened with roux."

We do this but we take the chopped veggies and toss them in a bit of oil and a bunch of herbs and spices to roast takes it to the next level

Back
Top Bottom