Do you own a electric kettle/hot water dispenser?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Paint - finally someone who has had the same tea experiences as me! I thought I was alone in my disappointment of how tea is served in restaurants! How hard can it be to make a nice cup of tea?!!!

I have an electric kettle that switches off when the water is boiled. Couldn't live without it. It was pricey when I bought it ($60), but I've noticed lately that the prices for electric kettles have gone down quite a bit, and you can even find them in a K-Mart. They are/were much more readily available in Canada, and they were cheaper. Was driving to work one day and there was a garage sale right along the way - couldn't resist, and glad I didn't. They were selling (for $5) a brand new stainless steel electric kettle (also with auto. off switch) made by Cuisinart. I now have a back-up.

Sandy
Maybe there are more electric kettles available in Canada because so many British people still emigrate to there and they want what they know?

Yes, I'm sure you're correct about many English folks in Canada, Ishbel. During a recent trip to Canada, my mom was with me, and we passed a town called St. Catherines, about 20 miles or so north of Niagara Falls. My mom mentioned how popular St. Catherine's used to be (in th late 50's) for people from the U.K. When my dad worked in Detroit in the 70's, my parents would take a drive to Windsor, Canada every couple of months to stock up on Bisto and Bird's custard powder. For me, back then, it was a thrill to get Smarties and Aero bars. I'm carrying on the tradition! While in Canada on that recent trip, I made sure to stock up on Marmite, Eno's Fruit Salts, Lyle's golden syrup and, of course, Smarties and Aero bars. ;)

There was one in our place when we moved it, but the thing is rusty on the inside so I don't use it. I rarely have the opportunity to make more than a cup at a time for myself so I usually just nuke my water in the microwave.

But for company the kettle does come out, there's something so comforting and sweetly old-fashioned about its whistle sound and the sight of steam poring from its spout.

Cleaning the inside of electric kettle.

To clean an electric kettle, pour out the water and pour in some ordinary white vinegar , making sure the element is completely submerged, and switch it on to boil. Makes the kitchen smell for a few minutes, but all the lime & icky build up comes right off. When you pour out the vinegar into the sink, it will freshen the drain.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom