Ramekins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter

Sous Chef
Where can I find some decent sized ramekins that will handle high heat (finishing a meal size, not tiny bowl, of French Onion Soup under the broiler). The ones I have now are more of a souffle size and are just too small. I'm thinking 8 oz.?

I have some enameled cast iron Le Creuset miniature casseroles I found in a thrift shop a few years ago for $1 each [I bought all 8 of them]. They are perfect for french onion soup, individual desserts, pot pies, and custards and other uses.

I know you can buy them through restaurant supply catalogs, and JB Prince had them at one time also.

http://www.bizrate.com/buy/noncat_prod_details__oid--301856967.html

I bought great white ceramic soup bowls, perfect size, at Williams Sonoma outlet.

Ramekins are sort of flat and not deep enough, IMO, even the really large ones.

Many cookware stores sell special onion soup tureens/bowls. Brown crockery with ridged lip.

jennyema said:
I bought great white ceramic soup bowls, perfect size, at Williams Sonoma outlet.

Ramekins are sort of flat and not deep enough, IMO, even the really large ones.

Many cookware stores sell special onion soup tureens/bowls. Brown crockery with ridged lip.
Are they broiler safe? They will only be under the broiler for a few minutes, but I don't want the inside of my oven to be covered with French Onion Soup. :mrgreen: I checked out the LeCreuset ones and they seem to fit the bill (7 3/4 oz and broiler safe).

I've used my larger white ramekins for French onion soup - they did just fine. I got some great French onion soup bowls at Big Lots :chef:

Otter said:
Are they broiler safe? They will only be under the broiler for a few minutes, but I don't want the inside of my oven to be covered with French Onion Soup. :mrgreen: I checked out the LeCreuset ones and they seem to fit the bill (7 3/4 oz and broiler safe).

Yes, they are. I make onion soup all the time (like 2 times a month at lest in the winter) and they go under the broiler all the time. I beleive they say so on the bottom. They were pretty cheap, like $2 each at the outlet store.

Yippee...

I found them for you: http://ww1.williams-sonoma.com/cat/pip.cfm?skus=911693&pkey=xsrd0m1%7C15%7C0%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7Csoup%20bowl&gids=sku911693&cmsrc=sch

But they are only $2 each on line, so the outlet store is a HOAX!:angry:

Last edited:
Well whether you choose enameled cast iron, or pottery, let us know what you decide to go with ok?

I am the nosiest person in the world!

choclatechef said:
Well whether you choose enameled cast iron, or pottery, let us know what you decide to go with ok?
I'm going to busy working on my boat Wednesday, but will definitely make a decision Thursday or Friday. Considering where I live it will have to ordered on the Internet.

Otter, I found some wonderful ramekins at my local dollar store. They were quite a find. It was a set of three oven- and dishwasher- safe ramekins of varying size (the largest was 8 oz) for $1! I can't guarantee you'll have the same success, but it might be work a look.

Sheesh, all the internet suggestions look great! I think I'll check the local Dollar Store first though because the UPS truck has already worn a deep groove in my driveway. :shock:

Geeze ... all you need is oven safe ceramic. You don't need that fancy Le Cost-a-Lot French cast-iron stuff! And Williams-Sonoma or Sur La Table are, well, IMHO ... nice stuff if you want to pay that much ... but it probably isn't going to be any better than a $1 bowl from the Dollar Store!

Check the Dollar Store for ceramic soup bowls. Check Target/WalMart/K-Mart for something similar or Corningware "French White" souffle bowls ... I got some from a Pier-1 Import store (that are like various souflee sizes) 15 years ago for about $0.49 - $0.79 each that are still going strong. The ones I got from the Dollar Store about 5 years ago I like even better because they are deeper and have a handle (like a coffee mug).

Michael in FtW said:
Geeze ... all you need is oven safe ceramic. You don't need that fancy Le Cost-a-Lot French cast-iron stuff! And Williams-Sonoma or Sur La Table are, well, IMHO ... nice stuff if you want to pay that much ... but it probably isn't going to be any better than a $1 bowl from the Dollar Store!

:LOL: Do you think I'm trying to drive folks to the poor house!

Actually, I am making a point about "alternative shopping" or "the secondary market" being great places to avoid paying new and high prices. :)

On the way into town yesterday I stopped at a fishing buddy's house. His wife was in the process of making - what else - French Onion Soup. Instead of cranking up the broiler, she put the French Bread in the toaster. When it was done, she put cheese on it and popped it in the microwave to melt it. Then she just floated it on top of the soup. She gave me a cup, and it was great. This has an appeal to me - not having to crank up the broiler and stick my paws in a hot oven - no risk of burnt cheese - no hot cups to juggle. Your cheese is only on the bread, but that's where I like it anyway.

You might could also try a torch, like you would use for cream brulee.

Otter said:
On the way into town yesterday I stopped at a fishing buddy's house. His wife was in the process of making - what else - French Onion Soup. Instead of cranking up the broiler, she put the French Bread in the toaster. When it was done, she put cheese on it and popped it in the microwave to melt it. Then she just floated it on top of the soup. She gave me a cup, and it was great. This has an appeal to me - not having to crank up the broiler and stick my paws in a hot oven - no risk of burnt cheese - no hot cups to juggle. Your cheese is only on the bread, but that's where I like it anyway.

:ohmy: :shock: :ohmy: I thought the burnt cheese was what it was all about? LOL That's my favorite - the bubbly cheese. It melts in the microwave but not like under a broiler. Now, in a pinch I'd be happy with the microwave - but I'd have to go to a Pier 1 or the dollar store or some kitchen warehouse type place and buy the ceramic white porcelain containers for somwhere in the neighborhood of $2 - $3 a piece.

JMHO of course :chef: :)

Rainee said:
You might could also try a torch, like you would use for cream brulee.

I am afraid of open flame, so I can't use a torch.

That is why I like the old fashioned salamander. Heat on stove top and pass heated portion over the food to brown it.

img_109121_0_760ad4d3381a5b0ea0ff14f354bc5dd7.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom