Is a new kitchen a cooking tool?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
We just made an offer on a house that we know is also getting several other offers. I will have a decent kitchen for the first time in over twenty years. Not to mention all of the other plusses. There are very few houses which fall in our price range so I am pr##ing that our offer is the one that is accepted. We bid way, I mean way over the asking price. So for all of you who are often busy on Sunday mornings you know what to do. I can't say here because of the site rules, but you know what to do. The bank will get our offer tomorrow and will consider it along with all of the others.

The kitchen has tons of cupboards. It's and old fashioned farm house with cupboards all the way to the ceiling. I actually took a step stool to the house to see if I could reach the top cupboards. I can just barely reach. If anything is pushed too far back I will have to get a taller step stool or stand on the counter.:LOL:

In the basement there are two whole racks of shelving that I can use for my canning jars and there is room in the kitchen for more cupboards if I choose to buy them and of course I will. You can get cupboards for a song at the Habitat for Humanity store near us.

There is also a lovely formal dining room where I will actually be able to entertain guests and not have them trapped against the wall for the whole of the dinner hour.

If we get the house I will have to learn how to post pictures on this site. I only took 71 pictures today.:ROFLMAO:

Yeah, good luck! Best time to buy a house now, even if you over bid, you know you're getting a good deal. That kitchen sounds like a winner.
My daughter just placed a bid on a short sale property last week. She's a first time home buyer.

How large is the kitchen?
Is it a galley or U counter layout?
Electric stove or gas?
What kind of countertops?
Lots of deep drawers? (I love a nice deep drawer)
Are the cabinets stained or painted?

Sounds like fun -- keep us updated! My fingers are crossed for good luck for you.

Last edited:
How large is the kitchen?
Is it a galley or U counter layout?
Electric stove or gas?
What kind of countertops?
Lots of deep drawers? (I love a nice deep drawer)
Are the cabinets stained or painted?

Sounds like fun -- keep us updated! My fingers are crossed for good luck for you.

It is an old farm house so nothing high end. No appliances included, I'll take mine with me. Three deep drawers but cupboards galore, all the way to the ceiling. The kitchen is twice as big as the one I have now but that's really not saying much, the one I have now is miniscule. Perfectly square room bout 15x 15 or so. The cabinets are painted white which is exactly what i want. Very plain cupboards, again just what I want. There is even room for more cupboards to go up, which they will as soon as we close on the place, if our offer is accepted.

We tried twice to buy short sale houses but they were just a nightmare. And they ate up 6 months of our time for nothing. Still, if you can get it to work it's a good deal. This house is a foreclousure so we are only dealing with the bank and not with the original owner as well. The bank set the price and we topped it buy a huge amount because we knew there were a ton of other bidders. Just have to sit back now and bite our nails till we hear something. :wacko:

Last edited:
wow == a farm kitchen... that sounds so nice. I have always wanted a vintage=style farm house kitchen. 15'x15' is huge... lots of room to move about in there. Sounds like a great idea.

Your profile doesn't mention what part of the US you are located.

My best to you - sounds like a really wonderful kitchen.

Good Morning JF I am sending the house buying vibe, if it is what you want I sicerely hope you get it.:)

I just got a call from the real estate agent...We got the house!!! Still have a lot of paperwork to do but man am I a happy camper! Turns out we beat out three other offers. I haven't even told DH and DD yet. They are both due home in a little bit and I want to tell them in person. DD just e-mailed me from school a couple of hours ago and asked about the house. I told her not to expect to hear any news until next week. Happy Day, Happy Day!!!

Wooooooooopeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Oh how I wish I could be a fly on the wall when your family gets home!!!

This calls for a toast.....passing champagne for the whole house!!

Just wonderful news, Joesfolk......!!!

Kayelle, I'm still praying but now it's prayers of Thanksgiving.
Oh, I think I may have overestimated the size of the kitchen. It's more like 10x12. I'll measure when I get the chance.

I just posted a picture of the house and a very dark picture of the kitchen but I think you can get the idea. The pictures are in my album, can you guys get to that? We close by the 18th of April. We are planning on painting and cleaning carpets before we move so no definate date on that yet.

Back
Top Bottom