6-16-17 Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never heard of Italian sausage with flour in it.
Italian sausage is one of the better ones but a lot of sausages have wheat crumbs in them. The times are changing, but we still have to be careful as I can't tolerate much gluten and TB can't have any.

I've never heard of Italian sausage with flour in it.
Like LP said, it's less common in Italian sausage. However, many British sausages include a binder/filler ingredient called "rusk". Think of Zwieback toast in the U.S. - hard slices of toast-bread that are commonly used as baby teething biscuits.

Like LP said, it's less common in Italian sausage. However, many British sausages include a binder/filler ingredient called "rusk". Think of Zwieback toast in the U.S. - hard slices of toast-bread that are commonly used as baby teething biscuits.
I don't know anyone who eats British sausage. I don't think I've ever seen it in stores, either. But we were talking about Italian sausage and I've never heard of any wheat products as an ingredient in those.

It looks a little funny to me to mention gluten-free Italian sausage but not gluten-free pizza crust ;)

Last edited:
We went to a neighborhood potluck party last night. I made crostini with homemade bread topped with honey-sweetened ricotta, with a bit of Penzeys Pie Spice mixed in, and fruit and garnished it with mint from my garden. Pork barbecue, potato salad, Greek tortellini salad and spinach salad with shrimp were some of the dishes other people brought.
View attachment 27057

That looks dee-lish. Think I will try it sometime soon.

That looks dee-lish. Think I will try it sometime soon.
Thanks ☺ It's really tasty. We had the rest of the ricotta with more fruit today for breakfast, drizzled with more honey. I love having honey from our own hives. I can use it as much as I want, now that I don't have to pay $15 a pound for it :clap:

$15? :ohmy: I thought the prices up here were high. Most offerings at the farmers' markets around here are in the $10 to $12 range. The pound of local honey we bought from Walker Farms when we were in FL last November charged only $7.50. So good, and now I know it's a real bargain. Maybe we'll take another trip over there this November, if only because of their address. They list it as 6251 Bee Charmer Lane :heart: in North Fort Myers. Then again, if you have some honey to spare, I have jars you can use. ;) ;)

$15? :ohmy: I thought the prices up here were high. Most offerings at the farmers' markets around here are in the $10 to $12 range. The pound of local honey we bought from Walker Farms when we were in FL last November charged only $7.50. So good, and now I know it's a real bargain. Maybe we'll take another trip over there this November, if only because of their address. They list it as 6251 Bee Charmer Lane [emoji813] in North Fort Myers. Then again, if you have some honey to spare, I have jars you can use. ;) ;)

Yup, I'm on the Facebook page for the local beekeepers association. Someone asked recently what the going rate is locally and the consensus is from $12-16 per pound. I always have extra and we'll be harvesting again in August or September, so bring your jar, hun! [emoji2]

We only filter it once, so it crystallizes pretty quickly. I actually like it better that way. It's thicker, so it spreads better, and I like the texture of the crystals. But it melts quickly and dissolves easily into marinades, etc.

Thanks ☺ It's really tasty. We had the rest of the ricotta with more fruit today for breakfast, drizzled with more honey. I love having honey from our own hives. I can use it as much as I want, now that I don't have to pay $15 a pound for it :clap:
OMG! That's expensive. I don't get a chance to go to Farmers markets much any more so I have to depend on grocery stores for my honey, what little I use. I saw some sugar-free honey in Walmart the last time I was in there.

OMG! That's expensive. I don't get a chance to go to Farmers markets much any more so I have to depend on grocery stores for my honey, what little I use. I saw some sugar-free honey in Walmart the last time I was in there.

All natural honey is sugar free.;)

Look carefully at the ingredients. "Sugar-free honey" is an oxymoron. Honey is almost all sugar with a little bit of water. That's probably nothing but corn syrup.

Edit: I had to look it up. Here are the ingredients: Maltitol Syrup, Natural And Artificial Flavor, Acesulfame K, Malic Acid..

From Wikipedia: "Maltitol syrup, a hydrogenated starch hydrolysate, is created by hydrogenating corn syrup: a mixture of carbohydrates produced from the hydrolysis of starch; this product contains between 50% and 80% maltitol by weight. The remainder is mostly sorbitol, with a small quantity of other sugar-related substances."

Also, 17 grams of carbs per serving.

You're better off with real honey ;)

Last edited:
That's like when a friend of mine said she only bought "**" brand lemon/lime/ginger ale drink because it was caffeine free. WTF!!

(just remember that means Who's The Fool!!)

How dare they put those ingredients together and call it honey. ? I hope they get stung by angry bees. ?
If you look carefully at the label, they call it imitation honey, but the typography makes it difficult to see.
283c53fc-2f59-4b90-b84b-e0594a53f5c7_1.b368d2ccea5fd6bc7c46bb72aff9f052.jpeg

I thought it meant "What's that face?" [emoji38]

Good one! have to remember to change it depending on context! LOL.

But I can actually sympathize and understand where "imitation honey" may serve a purpose. I'm sensitive to honey myself. I can eat a very small quantity but too much and I'm doubled-up on the floor. Same with maple syrup.

Doesn't mean I can't use it in cooking/baking, I do ... just not "as is" on toast, pancakes, etc.

Good one! have to remember to change it depending on context! LOL.

But I can actually sympathize and understand where "imitation honey" may serve a purpose. I'm sensitive to honey myself. I can eat a very small quantity but too much and I'm doubled-up on the floor. Same with maple syrup.

Doesn't mean I can't use it in cooking/baking, I do ... just not "as is" on toast, pancakes, etc.

I'm sad for you :( I eat it by the spoonful ...

How dare they put those ingredients together and call it honey. ? I hope they get stung by angry bees. ?
Always read the ingredients on the jar of honey, if you aren't getting it from a trusted source, like a bee keeper you know.

I won't even buy pasteurized honey. As I understand it, there is no need to pasteurize it because honey desiccates any micro-organisms that get into it. I've read too much about adulterated honey, especially from China.

Back
Top Bottom