Alternative to Wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Assuming the wine is not the main flavor in the dish, you might try pomegranate juice as a substitute for red wine. I've had good luck with it in things like braises and stews.

fcrosson, that's a good idea. Personally, I can't imagine not having wine in the food (and in me), but it's not for everyone and I'm OK with that.

I recall in another post about dishware that I had explained the reseasons why someone who is Jewish might want to use glass. I above and beyond do not want to appear to have anti-religious views here at all (it is actually much to the opposite).

In Judaism, wine is a focus in much of the religious practices of today and of the past. However it has peeked my curiousity in what religious reasons are there against the consumption of wine? I am claiming complete ignorance with this...

Once someone says no alcohol for religious reasons, I say fine.

As a chemist I can tell you that once you reach the boiling point of alcohol it does not all boil off, not at all.

What does boil off is a mixture of alcohol and water, and some alcohol is left behind.

Usually a fair amount.

One idea, and it will not work with most recipes, is to use a non alcoholic cider.

We use the high test version in many recipes, and it provides a wonderful flavor. The non alcoholic version will work in some recipes, but it will not replace the flavor of a red wine, or most whites.

You can try some juices, but they will not replace wine.

Sorry.

I cannot imagine any replacement for wine in making a decent coq au vin.

But there are a whole lot of recipes out there that do not require a drop of wine.

There are many religions that do quite well with restrictions. You are just a bit more challanged than the average cook.

God bless and have fun cooking.

auntdot said:
Once someone says no alcohol for religious reasons, I say fine.

As a chemist I can tell you that once you reach the boiling point of alcohol it does not all boil off, not at all.

What does boil off is a mixture of alcohol and water, and some alcohol is left behind.

Usually a fair amount.

One idea, and it will not work with most recipes, is to use a non alcoholic cider.

We use the high test version in many recipes, and it provides a wonderful flavor. The non alcoholic version will work in some recipes, but it will not replace the flavor of a red wine, or most whites.

You can try some juices, but they will not replace wine.

Sorry.

I cannot imagine any replacement for wine in making a decent coq au vin.

But there are a whole lot of recipes out there that do not require a drop of wine.

There are many religions that do quite well with restrictions. You are just a bit more challanged than the average cook.

God bless and have fun cooking.
What an informative post Aunt Dot, thank-you! Marissa82, who started this thread said that she isn't consuming/cooking with wine due to religious reasons, but there are others of us (like myself) who are not able to do so for purely medical reasons as well (or who choose to not consum any alcohol for their own reasons), and threads like this can be of great benefit to us too. I really have to extend my thanks to everyone for their handy and helpful tips :)

Marissa82, I'm going to guess that the pasta sauce that you are talking about is probably made with tomatoes and calls for red wine. You would do better to just leave it (and any substitutions) out rather than mucking it up with grape/cider juice.

Wine is primarily used for 4 reasons:

1) Flavor - the actual flavors of the wine which are developed during fermentation and storage
2) Acidity
3) Tenderizing agent for meats
4) As a Solvent - in a sauce with tomatoes for example, the alcohol liberates some flavor components that can then combine with other flavor components to create new flavors. It's like why you sear cubes of meat when making a beef stew - the Maillard "browning reactions" of the proteins and natural sugars in the meat produce new flavors that add a depth of flavor that you would not get otherwise.

I have seen some really bad ideas for substituting things for wine ... but perhaps the most logical (flavor wise) I have found is here. If anyone has a problem linking to this site (like I have today) let me know and I will cut-n-paste from my cached page of this site.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom