Anyone use a Sunbeam Stand Mixer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi there,

I don't have a particular experience with sunbeam, but I have a KA 350 watts that is perfect. I make bread and pizza on regular basis and my KA never fails me. So once I thought of getting another mixer (not KA) to help me out with whisking egg whites and stuff like that. I bought the Hamilton Beach stand mixer. Well it lasted for only a week with me! It was so noisy, it's turns were so irregular (as compared to the KA) and when I used the dough hook, It never mixed the dough well and it couldn't spin properly with a 2cup flour dough because it was too heavy for it to spin!!!
I think my point is, when you have a KA you will feel the difference when you buy any other brand. So go for the KA if you can, you can now get it at good prices in amazon.com and walmart! If you can't buy a KA, then go for the sunbeam :)

Alix said:
Thanks Bangbang. What is the advantage to using a screen vs a stone? Would you use them together? I am still looking for a good stone myself. I am wondering if this would be a better idea for me.

I just bought a pizza stone and used it today. However I placed my pizza on the pizza screen and placed that on the stone. The pizza came out very good. I need to find a pizza peel now.

i have one

I have a Sunbeam mixer. I am only 13 so I have no idea how old it is. The only this we have left are the beaters. It looks 20 years old. I can't wait till christmas when i get by onyx black professional 6 qt kitchenaid! search on froogle.com for anything. they always have cheap stuff there. i am getting my mixer for $250. its the only this i want. but wuteva

I had a Sunbeam Mixmaster many years ago when I was a newly married. I worked fine for a few years, but finally pooped out under the strain of the heavy use I gave it. And of course - it died right in the middle of preparing food for a large holiday dinner. :(

I got on the phone and called my husband at work, and told him I wanted a KitchenAid for Christmas, and I wanted it today so I could finish what I started.

I had it set up within the hour, gave him the bill with a bow on it, ;) and have never looked back. More than 25 years later, it's never had a hiccup, in spite of the workouts I give it.

Having owned both, my strong opinion is that there is no comparison between the two. For an occasional cake, the Sunbeam will do just fine, but if you you use a mixer a lot, especially for breads and doughs, it won't hold a candle to the KitchenAid.

Evern Julia Child, who never endorsed products, told folks to buy the KA. In her "Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 2" she included a sketch of the KA and wrote "We strongly suggest you buy the type of mixer pictured here." If you have the book, read page 539 for her reasons.

Sunbeam Stand Mixers

I am interested in replacing my Grandmothers Hamilton Beach/Scovill Stand Mixer with a new Sunbeam Stand Mixer. I would like to hear about the quality and durability of the Sunbeam. Jones has the Sunbeam SS 12 speed on sale for $69.99 and was wondering if this is a good deal for the money or if I should just save for a Kitchen Aid.

Re: Sunbeam Stand Mixers

mixit said:
I am interested in replacing my Grandmothers Hamilton Beach/Scovill Stand Mixer with a new Sunbeam Stand Mixer. I would like to hear about the quality and durability of the Sunbeam. Jones has the Sunbeam SS 12 speed on sale for $69.99 and was wondering if this is a good deal for the money or if I should just save for a Kitchen Aid.

Save for a Kitchenaid, or better yet, buy a good used Hobart made Kitchenaid. You will have a better machine than if you buy a new one, and you will save much dough.

I have had a Sunbeam for 33 yrs, have had no problems with it. I have been looking at KA's for awhile, their power range is from 350 to 575 watts, the higher the watts the heavier they get. I found a Sunbeam for $80 that had 450 watts, about mid range for a KA, it weighs at least 10 to 15 lbs less. I store my mixer under the counter, so weight is a factor in my choise. I also don't make bread daily so I don't need the brute power of the KA, so concidering use, history, cost and weight I think the Sunbeam is a good choice for average home use.

I never tried making bread dough with my Mom's Sunbeam, but the few times I did use it for cakes, I found it very lightweight.

That is probably because I am accustomed to my KitchenAid, which I've had for 20 years. When I was a kid, Mom had a really heavy old-time Sunbeam, that lasted almost forever. It was much more similar to my KA in weight and heft than the one Mom got about 15 years ago.

I don't know if that helps with anything...

I also would like to know what a "pizza screen" is! :ermm:

ChefJune said:
I never tried making bread dough with my Mom's Sunbeam, but the few times I did use it for cakes, I found it very lightweight.

That is probably because I am accustomed to my KitchenAid, which I've had for 20 years. When I was a kid, Mom had a really heavy old-time Sunbeam, that lasted almost forever. It was much more similar to my KA in weight and heft than the one Mom got about 15 years ago.

I don't know if that helps with anything...

I also would like to know what a "pizza screen" is! :ermm:
The pizza screen, like the one Andy's showing you, is available at most restaurant supply stores. We have two stores like that in our area and both sell the screens at VERY reasonable prices.

Back
Top Bottom