Are There Any Recipes You've Lost or Would Like to Have???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Attn: ALIX

OOOPS... Thanks to Alix for pointing out that my recipe forgot the peanut butter. I feel so dumb!!! You could either make the recipe I posted above and eat with a mouthful of peanut butter or try the recipe below:

Peanut Butter Fudgies w/ Peanut Butter

2 c. sugar
4 tbsp. cocoa
1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 stick margarine
2 tbsp. peanut butter
3 c. oatmeal

Make sure mom helps with this. Take first 3 ingredients and boil hard for one minute, remove from heat, then add the next 4 ingredients. Spoon onto wax paper. Cool.

THANKS, ALIX!!! :)

drool.gif
Guess what I am making tomorrow? Thanks Ray!

ISO: Coconut

Ok, I am offering to help you find lost recipes but there's one that *I* can't find... Coconut - Raspberry Cakes like those Dolly Madison "Zingers." Does anyone have a copycat recipe that they could share??? Actually, as a coconut freak I will take any and all coconut or Pina-Colada flavored recipes (especially tried & true ones). Thanks in advance!!! /rayt721

One dish that I used to enoy at a restaurant in northern NSW back in the eighties was Pheasant Luculus. I have never been able to locate a recipie for it, and the chef refused to sell it to me. Recently a friend suggested a 'Luculus method', but I am not convinced that this is the same as the one I am looking for. The riginal had juniper berries as a major part of the taste. If you can help e with this one I would be eternally grateful.

Chocolate Cookies

I'm looking for a recipe that I remember from a restaurant in eastern South Dakota 40 years ago. It was for chocolate cookies, but what made these different is that they were more like cake than cookies--soft, crumb like cake, moist, dark chocolate without the gray/brown look of many recipes. They were made up in advance and kept in the refridgerator/cooler and cooked off every morning. I've tried many butter/sugar/egg recipes but the all come out too crispy and not moist.

Thanks in advance

Luculus

Anna: I couldn't find any recipes for "luculus" (meaning a lavish buffet) in any of my cookbooks or software collections. Perhaps the recipe can be duplicated under another name. What was so striking about the particular item you are looking for???

Hey Ray, what are these coconut raspberry things you are talking about. I have a recipe that layers sort of a shortbread base, then smushed raspberry stuff then coconut and oats on top...is that similar to what you want?

Being as this thread was started by somebody called "SausageMaker", I thought it would be fun to offer a couple recipes on that line from a 20 year old cook book, authored by a western Canadian Mennonite Church, with the "inputs" coming from people well into their '60's (and of course, there's a plethora of desserts, veggies and all in the book...) Mind, many of these people have since passed away, but you get an idea of what "pioneering cooking" was like...

Anyways...

Head Cheese

Pork Head
Pork hocks
Tongue
Heart and extra rinds (skin)
2 lbs ground beef

Clean pork head, remove bristles, ears, eyes, jaws and bones of nose, and then cook with hocks, tongue heart and beef. Cook the rinds in a separate container. When well done, remove meat from bones and grind all through a fine plate. Mix well, adding a bit of the meat juice, some salt, some pepper ...put in a cloth bag and press down into a baking pan to rid the mass of extra fat.

Refridgerate.

When cold, cut into big pieces, and make a mixture of 2 cups water and one cup vinegar; bring to a boiol, cool, pour over meat, and let stand in a crock for five days. Seve with raw onion and vinegar for supper, or heat and serve with fried potatoes...

BBQ Meatballs

2 cups soft breadcrumbs
1/3 cup milk
1 tbspn soya sauce
1/2 tspn garlic powder
1/4 tspn onion powder
1 lb ground beef

Combine first 5 ingredients and mix, then add beef. Make one inch meatballs and bake on cookie sheet for 35 minutes at 350 degrees F

Sauce
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped green pepper
2 tbsp margerine
1 can condensed tomato soup
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestshire
1 tspn prepared mustard
dash of cayenne

Saute onion and pepper in margerine until tender, then add remainder of ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occaisionally. Pout on baked meatballs and heat thoroughly. Made be made and frozen, with or without sauce, works well with macaroni.

Five Cup Salad

A cup of sour cream
A cup of flaked coconut
a cup of fruit cocktail (drained)
a cup o mandarin orange segments (drained)
a cup of minimarshmallows

mix well

refridgerate for a couple hours...and serve...

Variations...
Substitute yoghurt for the sour cream
Substitute maraschino cherries for the orange segments
Substitute fresh fruit cubes for fruit cocktail...

Anyways, do enjoy!

Lifter

ZINGERS

I have searched the Internet for even a picture of "Zingers" to post but the ONLY one that I found was picture of just the outside box. I will have to grab a picture of them the next time I buy some. They are similar to a Twinkie in a way in that they are really soft and surrounded by a raspberry filling and then coconut all over the top. There are no oats in it and it's not really a bar... it's like a snack cake. They are made by a company called Dolly Madison which I think is a subsidiary of the company that makes Twinkies. I would love to find a copycat recipe for something similar because the snack cakes are just so expensive. If you like coconut, I highly recommend them!!! /rayt721

Re: Chocolate Cookies

ShawnR said:
I'm looking for a recipe that I remember from a restaurant in eastern South Dakota 40 years ago. It was for chocolate cookies, but what made these different is that they were more like cake than cookies--soft, crumb like cake, moist, dark chocolate without the gray/brown look of many recipes. They were made up in advance and kept in the refridgerator/cooler and cooked off every morning. I've tried many butter/sugar/egg recipes but the all come out too crispy and not moist.

My mom has this really old chocoloate cookie that is made from..don't gag...rendered chicken fat. You roll it in powdered sugar before baking. It is really soft and chewy.

I would like to find a particular cookie recipe. I had one of these cookies at the Tri-City Medical Center's Ladies Auxillary's Strawberry Festival in Carlsbad, California about 20 years ago. You would have sworn they were made with coconut, but the flakes were actually dried potato flakes. The recipe wasn't in the cookbook they were selling that year, and I would really like to find it.

:) Barbara

Macaroon Cookies

Macaroon Cookies

1 c. sugar (white)
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. shortening and 1/2 c. butter
(softened)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
2 c. flour
1 c. mashed potato flakes
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped nuts

In a large bowl combine sugars, butter, shortening and vanilla. Beat well, add egg. Add all other ingredients, mix well. Blend in coconut and nuts. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet, flatten with bottom of glass dipped in sugar. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in 375 degree oven. Cool. Makes 5 dozen.

Spuds

SPUD COOKIES

1/2 c. shortening
1 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. sifted flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. mashed potato flakes
1/2 c. chopped nuts

Mix all of the above ingredients together and let set for 30 minutes. Drop by teaspoonfuls on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Do not over bake.

COCO NOT COOKIES

COCO NOT COOKIES

1/2 c. butter or margarine
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. coconut extract
1 egg
1 1/2 c. Bisquick
1 c. potato flakes

Cream together butter, sugar and coconut extract. Add egg and beat. Stir in Bisquick and potato flakes; dough will be stiff. Cover bowl and chill about 1 hour. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Shape dough into marble-sized balls and place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 12 to 14 minutes.

We should rename this to " Just Ask Ray" We ask and he finds what we are looking for! Way to go Ray... 8)
Marge*Dove

Twernt sugar Ray...(Sugar Ray...hmmm) Sugar is posin for me now.. :cry: Twas the truth.
And me a chocaholic...
:LOL: :LOL:

Someone mentioned hogs head... when I was a child and came home from school, there was this WONDERFUL aroma coming from the kitchen. I couldn't help but follow my nose to the pot on the stove, but when I lifted the lid, lo and behold, there was a hog's head and he looked like he was smiling at me!!! He still had corn in his teeth! My grandmother was visiting us at the time and was in the process of making mincemeat! I was scarred for life! Needless to say I haven't eaten mincemeat in over 50 years... and I don't think they really use meat in it today but I STILL can't stomach it.

Back
Top Bottom