Best Wine with Pizza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, but root beer is the proper beverage with pizza. :grin:

+1

Although, as an 18 year old, way back before the wheel was invented, Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill, Or Annie Green Springs Apple wine was 99 cents a bottle, and was often consumed with pizza, as were 99 cent pitchers of beer. Strange how that worked, as I detest the flavor of alcohol.:LOL:

Oh the things we did to fit in.:ohmy:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Actually, I'll change my response to BEER.

Whichever is your favourite or whichever is cold and available right then .

I didn't think of it before as I don't drink beer any more - I love it but unfortunately it does NOT like me .. :glare:

Sangiovese goes best with pizza, unless you ordered Buffalo wings to go with it. Then you want a Molson's Canadian lager or a Genesee Cream Ale.

BTW, if I catch you dipping the Buffalo wings into the bleu cheese (NEVER ranch!) dressing, I will give you an undesired reason to lick your fingers. The bleu cheese dressing is for the accompanying celery sticks, NOT THE CHICKEN WINGS!

buffalo-wings.jpg

You eat a wing or two. When your mouth gets too hot, you scoop up some of the bleu cheese dressing with a stick of celery and bite it off. Lather, rinse, repeat. Trust me, I am originally from Western New York and lived there when Buffalo wings were invented. I know these things!

Last edited:
Actually, I'll change my response to BEER...
Beer? Here Here!

When I was young and underage, I always thought that an ice cold Coke was perfect with pizza. Once I was old enough, I found that beer compliments pizza like a match made in heaven. However, if you don't like any kind of beer, a nice dry red will work for me.

+1

Although, as an 18 year old, way back before the wheel was invented, Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill, Or Annie Green Springs Apple wine was 99 cents a bottle, and was often consumed with pizza, as were 99 cent pitchers of beer. Strange how that worked, as I detest the flavor of alcohol.[emoji38]

Oh the things we did to fit in.:ohmy:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Strawberry Hill goes best with the ladies. Oh, the things we did in our younger days.

If you dip wings in blue cheese dressing, you are not eating Buffalo Wings. As sirloin noted, the dressing is scooped up with celery sticks.

Also, since this discussion started with pizza, Buffalo Wings are baked in a pizza oven at 750 degrees. Any other way of cooking them is not Buffalo Wings.

Also, there is no such thing as “buffalo wing sauce” (Wingers). The origin story is vague on details but the circumstances argue that the original invention had no sauce or liquid; it was dry rub – flour & cayenne pepper or maybe chili powder. Or maybe just flour-- the Anchor Inn and the Anchor Bar claim the origin. The Anchor Inn offered no pepper, mild, and hot versions once Buffalo Wings were commercialized.

When we are in Italy, we often have pizza and drink beer with it because you can’t get cheap CA pinots in Italy. Italian beer is a better fall back than any Italian wine.

If you dip wings in blue cheese dressing, you are not eating Buffalo Wings. As sirloin noted, the dressing is scooped up with celery sticks.

Also, since this discussion started with pizza, Buffalo Wings are baked in a pizza oven at 750 degrees. Any other way of cooking them is not Buffalo Wings.

Also, there is no such thing as “buffalo wing sauce” (Wingers). The origin story is vague on details but the circumstances argue that the original invention had no sauce or liquid; it was dry rub – flour & cayenne pepper or maybe chili powder. Or maybe just flour-- the Anchor Inn and the Anchor Bar claim the origin. The Anchor Inn offered no pepper, mild, and hot versions once Buffalo Wings were commercialized.
When I ate there they served them with the classic sauce of Franks mixed with butter.

I lived in Italy for a few years and we used to go to this one family owned restaurant in a little town called Alatri..Very classic narrow streets..The owners owned the bar next door and every time we ordered beer somebody would have to go outside and walk down the street to the bar to get it..They would scale the wall with a tray of beer while cars were zooming by about 6 inches from them..we almost felt a little mean by ordering more. But they assured us it was no problem and they had been doing it for generations..lol

Last edited:
When I ate there they served them with the classic sauce of Franks mixed with butter.

I lived in Italy for a few years and we used to go to this one family owned restaurant in a little town called Alatri..Very classic narrow streets..The owners owned the bar next door and every time we ordered beer somebody would have to go outside and walk down the street to the bar to get it..They would scale the wall with a tray of beer while cars were zooming by about 6 inches from them..we almost felt a little mean by ordering more. But they assured us it was no problem and they had been doing it for generations..lol

Looked this town up and watched a short video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AYA74g5dzg

I am envious. :)

Ross

There is an hour long walking tour of Alatri on Youtube..I didn't live in Alatri, but down the mountain in a small village called Tecciena. it was about a 10-15 minute drive. My in laws owned a Hotel/Restaurant/Bar in the bigger city nearby called Frosinone which is the capital of the Province..That's where I worked and started to cook...I couldn't speak Italian when I first arrived so they threw me in the kitchen..lol..

Last edited:
A high school classmate worked his way through the University of Buffalo at the original Anchor bar and he shared the original Teressa Bellissimo recipe. The recipe does contain Franks original ret hot sauce (I put that **** on everything!), along with butter and almost as many secret herbs and spices as the colonel's chicken recipe. They also have their own recipe for the bleu cheese dip, using ONLY Treasure Cave blue cheese.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom