Cut up cucumbers/red onions/cherry tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeyItsSara

Senior Cook
My coworker gets several packages of these delivered every week and I take home the leftovers.

What can I do with them? It's usually 2 containers of slivered cucumbers and a container or 2 of halved cherry tomatoes. 1 small container of diced red onions.

thanks!

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Aside from the obvious "make a salad", you could cook the onions in any recipe, make a pickled cucumber salad, use the veggies as part of a charcuterie board.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
I make a cucumber, cherry tomato and red or white onion salad very often when my garden is producing lots of this stuff.
I use the tomatos cut in half, onion sliced fairly thin and I remove the seeds from the cucumber and cut into half rounds.
First I salt the cukes and tomatos and allow to drain for about an hour in the fridge. I then add the onions, some chopped fresh Italian parsley and any fresh herbs I may have.
A little more salt (remember you salted the tomatos and cukes) cracked black pepper and good olive oil and either sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar (any good vinegar works well).

I then refrigerate until its dinner time. Check seasoning and adjust if needed. Serve. My wife likes a little Parmesan Regiano sprinkled on top and so do I.
Its good and its cool and refreshing during these hot months of summer.
I will miss this salad come winter.
But I can buy English cukes, cocktail tomatos and the other ingredients are easy to come by year round.

HeyItsSara

Senior Cook
Thanks, Andy M and Roll_Bones.

I've made Israeli salad with success and cucumber salad. I've also added some ingredients to make salad.

I've baked the tomatoes for a sort of matbucha dip.

Anything else?

Top Bottom