Food Saver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good idea since I am used to putting the chile in a zip-loc anyway, but that would mean trashing the zip-loc bag then, since I would have no intention of washing them too. I'm trying to be as economical as possible so I don't have a need to purchase any other storage bags.
Heck, I didn't even make chile this year.... I think some of those Chunky Chiles are pretty good and they got me through the winter and for my cravings of chile, cheese fries :) .

You can still do the same thing without the zip lock bag. It is a trade off though. If you use the zip lock bag then you can reuse the foodsaver bag with minimal or no washing. If you don't use the zip lock bag then you save the plastic bag, but use up more water. 6 of one half a dozen of the other. Either way should work for you though so go with what you are comfortable with.

Good point. I am probably being to anal about the whole thing, but I want to get my money's worth, too. I looked at my freezer, which is pretty much full with beef, and noticed I barely use the door shelves. Perfect place for chunks of frozen chile or other liquids.
Now if I can just think of a way to wash the foodsaver bags in the dishwasher :LOL: or maybe I'll keep the chile in the plastic container, take the lid off and use the foodsaver that way. That would keep the bags pretty clean, too.
I'm still wondering where I'll put it. I may be hindered by outlet location unless I buy that other cabinet for a different wall and use that for the foodsaver. Like a microwave stand type cabinet. I have one funky kitchen in this old farmhouse. Probably because they only had one kid they made the kitchen small.
I need one of those Food Channel guys to come in and build me a new one ;)

Thanks! That's just the kind of common sense I wasn't born with.

Pacanis, I don't know if I have said this in this thread or not, but as you use your FS, cut the bags a bit larger than you need and then you will be able to use them more times. And I also put very messy drippy things (raw meat) in a thin plastic bag inside the FS bag. It stays cleaner and requires little washing for the next item.
As you use it, you'll develop some tips for yourself also. And particularly if you know you will be opening the bag and then re-sealing (like cheese or bacon) do be sure to cut the bag larger for the resealing margin (maybe 3 or 4 times).
As far as sealing chili in a FS, there really isn't any need to do it. It doesn't get freezer burn and it will keep just fine as is. Save the FS bag for things that need the protection.
I do keep mine out on the counter (at the back so it's not in the way), but you may not need to do that. Just depends on use, as do all kitchen tools. But you will flat LOVE this one!!

Candocook said:
As far as sealing chili in a FS, there really isn't any need to do it.
I have to disagree with this. When I used to freeze chili without vacuum packing it the top would get covered in ice crystals and get all nasty. That does not happen when you vacuum pack it.

I got my Foodsaver in and just finished watching the DVD, so I have some questions if anyone has some ideas for me.

I have the better part of a side of beef in my freezer. All wrapped up and marked in freezer paper. Can I vacuum seal the meat as is, leaving it in the paper? Will this add life to it do you think, or perhaps not as much life as if I had used the Foodsaver within days of when I first received the side? I'm thinking leaving it in the paper wouldn't be much different than sealing a canister with air pockets.

Has anyone vacuum sealed crab legs for the freezer? Will they poke through? I don't want to have to wrap them up in paper towels (like they suggest for forks, but crab shells are a lot sharper than the tip of a fork) and if I need to wrap them in something..... well, here's where that freezer paper thing comes up again. A vacuum is a vacuum no matter the air pockets that were there before creating the vacuum, right?

Why can you simmer an unopened bag, but need to slit it to microwave it?

What is a "mylar" bag, as in resealing chip bags? The foil ones, the clear ones, any bag that potato or nacho chips or pretzels would come in?

Thanks for any help.

Oh, and on a sidenote;
They make tops for resealing wine bottles, but I didn't catch how much this would extend the life.
And, she said for using the Foodsaver for soups, to always let the soup cool to "room temperature" before sealing ;)

pacanis said:
I got my Foodsaver in and just finished watching the DVD, so I have some questions if anyone has some ideas for me.

I have the better part of a side of beef in my freezer. All wrapped up and marked in freezer paper. Can I vacuum seal the meat as is, leaving it in the paper? Will this add life to it do you think, or perhaps not as much life as if I had used the Foodsaver within days of when I first received the side? I'm thinking leaving it in the paper wouldn't be much different than sealing a canister with air pockets.

Has anyone vacuum sealed crab legs for the freezer? Will they poke through? I don't want to have to wrap them up in paper towels (like they suggest for forks, but crab shells are a lot sharper than the tip of a fork) and if I need to wrap them in something..... well, here's where that freezer paper thing comes up again. A vacuum is a vacuum no matter the air pockets that were there before creating the vacuum, right?

What is a "mylar" bag, as in resealing chip bags? The foil ones, the clear ones, any bag that potato or nacho chips or pretzels would come in?

Thanks for any help.

Oh, and on a sidenote;
They make tops for resealing wine bottles, but I didn't catch how much this would extend the life.
And, she said for using the Foodsaver for soups, to always let the soup cool to "room temperature" before sealing ;)

You can try it that way, but still, there might be some air trapped between the meat and the paper.

Your best bet is to just put the naked meat into the vacuum bag and vacuum seal it that way, which will get ALL of the air out.

As for the crab legs, that's a good question. Maybe if you remove the spikes at the end of the legs, you might be alright.

Yes, they ARE boilable, but for the microwave, yes, you should put a small slit in the bag for the steam to escape. Otherwise, the steam will build up in the bag and may cause the bag to "explode" (burst), creating one heck of a mess to clean up!!:ohmy:

Last edited:
pacanis said:

Thanks for any help.

Oh, and on a sidenote;

I don't think you would need to remove the freezer wrapping that's already on your meat. Just vacuum pack it as is. By vacuum packing it, you will most definitely extend its freezer life and eliminate freezer burn.

Don't know about crab legs. But, you're right, they're quite sharp. That's where I would definitely use the freezer paper.

My guess is the reason to put a slit in the bag during microwave heating/cooking is that the food would expand and probably cause the bag to explode. Not pretty. And a big mess inside the microwave.

The mylar bags they mention are the bags that chips come in that have the shiny foil lining on the inside, not like a regular plastic bag. The mylar can stand up to the high temperature of the sealing wire in the FoodSaver. Traditional plastic bags would probably melt and gum up the works.

The soup thing you mention last is a bit perplexing because it's recommended that liquids be frozen before being sealed in the bags. That's because the vacuum would "suck" the liquid into the vacuum mechanism and ruin it. Perhaps the "cooling to room temperature" referred to using the canisters or vacuum sealing jars instead.

Hope this helps.

I would leave the paper on. The vacuum is strong enough that it works any trapped air out.

I have never done crab legs, but I would be very surprised if they did not poke threw the bag. Wrap those suckers up.

When you put a bag in the microwave the heat will create steam which will eventually make your bag pop open. In the water bath the same kind of pressure is not created so the bag will not expand. I had a friend who would put his in the nuker without opening it though. He said his food was done when the bag popped open.

"In the water bath the same kind of pressure is not created so the bag will not expand."

Thanks, GB. I was wondering about that. Seems like heating through is heating through and wasn't sure about the different methods and why nuking expands a sealed bag, but hot water doesn't.

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I'm going to go ahead and leave the meat in the freezer paper. If it does get freezer burn before I think it should, I will update everyone. And I guess go look for some freezer paper at the store for when I get crab legs to freeze again. Those 3 lbs already in the freezer don't have a prayer against me tonight :) .

The soup was being done in a canister, but we had that other topic going about methods of thawing meat/food, if it's OK to leave out and if things should cool down after cooking before refridgerating. Seems general consensus was the safe thing to do was never to let foods get to room temp before cooking or refridgerating... and here's Foodsaver saying to let something cool to room temp before vacuuming. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Can't wait to give it a whirl.

My new foodsaver

I realize this is an old thread but I just got this fantastic tool and have been reading all the posts about it; you guys have great information.I find it easier to read then Yahoo forum. This is mine.
Costco Tilia Advance Food Saver PulseVac Control=
I am so excited;I had no idea how powerful this was.
I ordered extra containers and the wide mouth sealer. I have the small sealer fromWallmart.
I make our bread and rolls; I guess you have to freeze them first.
Do you just vaccum seal or do you use the pulse?
Can I make sauces and soups, after cooling ladle in small mouth quart jars,vaccum seal them and freeze them? these would be the right size for the 2 of us. I am anxious to seal my lettuce( waiting for the larger container.)
I read a few post re freezing those containers.I didn't think you could.
If any of you have discovered anything new please post it.
I know I have lots of questions but I feel I have found the right place.
I am trying to register my Foodsaver but I live in Canada and they don't accept my postal code.I can't find a Canadian page.Are there anyone else in my situation or do I just forget about the register?
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Rita:chef:

I didn't even know that Costco even had it's own website, much less kitchen appliances! I bookmarked it for future reference.

Last edited:
FoodSaver V2860 Model

My heating element died on my old FS. I definitely got good use from it! I am going to order the V2860 for storage convenience and versatility.

That happened to my old one as well!

Rather than try to get it fixed, I just threw it away and bought a new one - a Kenmore, which IS made by Tillia, BTW.

V2860 - Got it

:) I did buy the V2860. So far I have sealed bird seed, cheese, and pork tenderloin. The pork had liquid marinade and some went into the suction trough. The trough is removeable and easy to rinse. The seal is also removeable to rinse. So far I really like it. I'm going to buy a few canisters and experiment. The suction seems a lot stronger than my old Foodsaver. I like the way this one stores vertically on it's edge as it is quite a bit deeper than the regular ones because of the roll storage and cutter.

Sage said:
I make our bread and rolls; I guess you have to freeze them first.

yep... freeze first.

Sage said:
Do you just vaccum seal or do you use the pulse?

either one will work.

Sage said:
Can I make sauces and soups, after cooling ladle in small mouth quart jars,vaccum seal them and freeze them?

Or you could put them in the bags, freeze first then seal. Not sure about freezing in the jars.

Sage said:
Are there anyone else in my situation or do I just forget about the register?
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Rita:chef:

I have never bothered with registration...

JGDean said:
The pork had liquid marinade and some went into the suction trough.
For things like that, take a folded up paper towel and put it towards the top of the bag. When you seal the bag, the paper towel will soak up a lot, if not all of the liquid the suction pulls out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom