French omelette that got stuck to the pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
i've followed this recipe for french omelette.
but i've used not fresh eggs and oil instead of butter.

as you can see it stuck to the pan. very hard.
why?

Attachments

• e5009dff-f2f6-4311-adb2-3f7dd52f6799.jpeg
    e5009dff-f2f6-4311-adb2-3f7dd52f6799.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 13
As they say in Hawai'i, mo butta is mo betta, brudda!

I always use butter to fry eggs, any style, and as Bobby Flay says "anyone who doesn't cook eggs in a non-stick pan is a fool."

Next time make an Italian omellete instead of French. It's called a frittata. There are plenty of recipes on the internet, and there are many variations, most of them wrong, believe me. I know some will object to my rules, but I am Sicilian (pronounced Sig-a lee-on). I know these things!

Here are some basic frittata rules:
A cast iron pan is best.
5 or 6 eggs for an 8-nch pan, 8 eggs for a 10-inch pan, up to a dozen for a 12-inch pan.
If the recipe calls for milk, it's a souffle, not a frittata.
If the recipe calls for flour, it's a queche, not a frittata.
Small diced potatoes are traditional, but not absolutely mandatory. I like them.
It needs some kind of meat. I like Italian sausage, diced ham, or carnitas, but if you are keeping kosher, chopped up steak, chicken, turkey, ground beef, shredded leftover leg of lamb, goat, etc. work well.
Peppers are nice. I use diced bell peppers (any and all colours), chopped jalapenos, and/or sliced pepperoncini.

You cook it on the stove top, moving the egg around until it's cooked through, then you add a melting cheese like mozzerella to the top and stick it under the broiler until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.

You can slide it out onto a plate, but I usually slice it like a deep dish pizza and serve it right out of the cst iron pan.

Last edited:
maybe five. why?

anyway.. it looked like a coffin
i hope i won't die by eating it
the jewish people don't bury in coffin generally speaking

Attachments

• 660254cc-c251-413a-bde3-2a6651707190.jpeg
    660254cc-c251-413a-bde3-2a6651707190.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 7
Your non-stick surface is worn out.
And while it's hard to tell from your photo it looks more like a 10-in than 8 inch pan so you'd have too little fat. 10 inch pan has almost twice the surface area of a 8-inch

Be sure to scrape the sides of the pan to incorporate the wispy edges back into the center of the omelette. Once the eggs are softly scrambled and look creamy and custardy, 2–3 minutes more, stop stirring and reduce the heat to low.

I copied the above from the recipe. Did you scrape the sides of the pan? Was the egg sticking then?
If yes, then for sure you did not have either enough oil or pan too hot.
They should not be sticking at any time during the cooking.

Plus fresh eggs have nothing to do with it, that is generally just snobby chef talk.

I'm assuming it's a combination of the pan not really being non stick any more and you pobably neeed more fat.

We replace our non stick pans yearly. I would never use cast iron for eggs as it shouldn't washed and BACTERIA.

It likely stuck because of too much heat. Cook it more slowly. Cooking oil is fine as a pan lubricant.

How old is your nonstick pan
That was going to be my question, too! It seems that teflon, while it doesn't change composition over several years (one of those so called "forever chemicals", but that's another topic), but the oils and other foods build up on it, sort of like they do on cast iron or carbon steel, which sort of seasons them, but after years of this, it seems the NS pans get less nonstick, instead of more! However, don't throw it away yet! I have some NS loaf pans, that are some of the best bread pans I ever found, very thick aluminum, with the NS coating that never peels (something new, when I got them, which tells you how long ago I got them!), but after about 15 years, the bread started sticking, and the pans had a faint brown tint to that original "green" NS coating. I couldn't bring myself to throw them away, so I sprayed some oven cleaner on one of them, let it sit 30 minutes, then scrubbed it of, then washed it well, and baked something in that one, and one I hadn't treated, and the one I cleaned with the oven cleaner was like new - the bread popped right out! The oven cleaner I use is just the cheap lye based stuff I get in Dollar stores. I had two skillets in my basement that I cleaned the same way, that were also sticking considerably, and this corrected those, too.

I cook eggs in my cast iron all the time, plus I wash my cast iron all the time too. Don't want to taste last nights meat on my breakfast eggs, thank you very much.

My non-stick pans - I've had several - and as they wear off I just use more oil. Your best oil is a spray oil, it has more lubricants and is much better for sliding your eggs around. (according to a Cooks Illustrated article).

Don't misunderstand, I do scrambled/omelet type eggs in a non-stick type because I like the sloped sides for sliding it out, not to mention they are a lot lighter to shake and toss around.

what makes butter different?

edit

the pan is non stick
Flavour my good man, flavour. Plus, the more you use, the better the flavour. If you use more oil, you just get greasy eggs.

BTW, before I use a cast iron or carbom-steel pan for anything, including frittatas, I give it a good coating of Crisco vegetable shortening.

Last edited:
Only you can tell how much butter, oil, shortening. Whatever it is you use to lubricate the pan with, only you can tell how much to use..
You know your pan and you know your burner so it's called experience and you will soon figure it out.

A fritatta is not an omelet. It’s sort of the opposite of one. I made a delicious one this morning.

This is what a French omelette is and how to make one. It takes practice but is pretty easy.

It’s probably the first thing I saw Julia Child make on tv. Then she and Jacques both made them on their later show.

Last edited:
I have 4 small omelette pans . Enough for a single serving.
Wife like different foods to me.
Perfect every time.

Back
Top Bottom