Friday 11/11/2016 What's cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Croque-madame sandwiches and slaw made from our Son-I-L's aunt's recipe. It's red and green cabbage, grated carrot, pimientos, chopped onions, chopped bell pepper (red and/or green) and the dressing is made from sugar, cooking oil, vinegar, mustard powder, celery seed, S and P that are heated to boiling and then poured over the vege mix. It's cooled and then chilled overnight at minimum and lasts up to a week. Sounds a bit odd but it works. I probably would have never tried the recipe if we hadn't had the slaw first.

A few sweet friends are treating me to an early evening Chinese dinner feast at one of my fave restaurants. :yum: Looking forward to it! :)

Ohh... shucky darns! :( I was hoping.

I will say I really enjoyed Cosco's thou - they were really good.

The chicken one I did NOT enjoy. Too many pieces of gristle were popping up. Which is too bad because the flavouring was nice.

I buy Three Bridges ravioli. They make several different flavors. We like Italian Sausage, Wild Mushroom and Chicken and Prosciutto.

BETH, thank you! Did you freeze it in a ball or container shape, or did you shred it first? I'm not sure which way to go.

I froze them in their lumpy ball shapes. Wrap in plastic first and put in freezer bags. I never tried to shred it first, maybe because I did not know if I would slice or shred it after defrosting. My gut feeling is the balls would freeze better whole, rather than having shredded it then freezing.

Finished up making a 4 gallon batch of mozzarella! My first time. It was a great success, which I'll be snacking on the rest of the day. Spaghetti squash w/butter S&P. Tonight, a meatloaf, upon request of the DH.

I have a mozzarella kit to make the cheese and it calls for one gallon of milk. That's the reason the kit is still in the cupboard.

Tucking the geese in early - feeding the dog early. Changing and heading to a friends place.

She is supplying the duck - lucky me gets to spatchcock it and loan her my roasting pan. (her new oven didn't come with one... WHAT!!! she left the old one with her ex. lol) I'm also to bring the recipe and the kitchen shears, hmmm.

She's doing other vegies, not sure what. I've also done a Leek Gratin to take. I'm surprised how liquidy it is - argh, hope it doesn't spill in the van!

That's pretty common now. I got one in my stove when I moved into my house back in 2003 and I sure wish I would have kept it. Seems like the older I get, the stupider I get.

Well, I went grocery shopping yesterday and I have salads and sandwiches to eat before I can cook anything. So I guess I'm having a sandwich for tonight - turkey and ham with mayo and Dijon mustard on French bread.

Oh, and I broke down completely and bought the Tipsy Brit cheddar with port wine cheese. I can't afford it, but I've never tried "real" port wine cheese, just the imitation type and I love that. So I couldn't resist this. Anyway, I'll be having that on crackers for lunch. And maybe for supper, too. And maybe before I go to bed and for breakfast tomorrow.:LOL:

I have a mozzarella kit to make the cheese and it calls for one gallon of milk. That's the reason the kit is still in the cupboard.

That's pretty common now. I got one in my stove when I moved into my house back in 2003 and I sure wish I would have kept it. Seems like the older I get, the stupider I get.

Well, I went grocery shopping yesterday and I have salads and sandwiches to eat before I can cook anything. So I guess I'm having a sandwich for tonight - turkey and ham with mayo and Dijon mustard on French bread.

Oh, and I broke down completely and bought the Tipsy Brit cheddar with port wine cheese. I can't afford it, but I've never tried "real" port wine cheese, just the imitation type and I love that. So I couldn't resist this. Anyway, I'll be having that on crackers for lunch. And maybe for supper, too. And maybe before I go to bed and for breakfast tomorrow.:LOL:

I have purchased 2 new ranges and neither came with a roasting pan. They did come with "broiler " pans (I.E. a pan with an insert that fits on top of pan with slots in it to allow grease to drain off.

Lunch is fish and chips (gluten free of course)

Dinner? Well, I am not sure yet if TB will be home from his brother's for dinner or not. If he is, it will be chicken thighs. For me, either way, it will be a chicken Caesar salad.

I thought it was Thursday....we had Haddock with anchovie/sage butter, on butternut squish rissotto...

Attachments

• DSCN1128.jpg
    DSCN1128.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I have purchased 2 new ranges and neither came with a roasting pan. They did come with "broiler " pans (I.E. a pan with an insert that fits on top of pan with slots in it to allow grease to drain off.

Those broiler pans are the only ones that have come with my new stoves too MsM.

Ours was simple but yummy...my standard broiled French pork tenderloin, broiled fresh asparagus, and Texas garlic toast.

Meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy, and green beans simmered with Penzeys Fox Point seasoning.

My mom bought 10 pounds of potatoes for a dollar at the farmers market in Michigan - she couldn't resist the price, but of course, she can't eat it all herself. It's already starting to sprout, so I'm going to make a big batch of mash and freeze some.

Yummy :yum:

Attachments

• 1478925779527.jpg
    1478925779527.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 132
I've got a recipe for a pasta topping that would be great for ravioli too, just zapped in the food processor. It's mixed fresh mushrooms, dried reconstituted porcini (and some of the strained liquid), thyme, onions, cream and parm if I remember correctly, S and P of course. I'll dig it out if you want it. I've just eyeballed it the last few times I've made it.

img_1487213_0_97f8c85b6b2c985dd6dfc6bb9799c463.gif
oh oh oh yes yes yes please medtran!

Generally I don't spatchcock it, just stuff it with apples and lemons.

Yes foxy, normally so do I but as I was going to her place and would be a little on the late side - I just figured it would cook faster this way. Turned out I was wrong of course, 3 women gabbing and drinking wine... but was absolutely delish!!

I buy Three Bridges ravioli. They make several different flavors. We like Italian Sausage, Wild Mushroom and Chicken and Prosciutto.

I'll have to check them out Andy - Thanks!

I have a mozzarella kit to make the cheese and it calls for one gallon of milk. ***

***That's pretty common now. I got one in my stove when I moved into my house back in 2003 and I sure wish I would have kept it. Seems like the older I get, the stupider I get.
:

rodentraiser - what is that mozza kit like? wonder if it is available in Canada... might be interested.

msm my bad... my reference to a 'roasting pan' when I really meant as you described a "broiler pan".

Actually last one I got was a gem! bottom pan normal 'broiler' pan but the top piece was more of a wire rack, slightly caved, perfect for birds and 'even more perfecter' for being able to reach the pan drippings for basting. But not so good for a beef roast with vegies around.

*sigh* I'm getting tired of this "eating out" thing. ? I want to cook! At least we had great company tonight. We visited with old coworkers of Himself's, spending time at their home in The Villages, FL. Ate at a local restaurant, a small chain called "TooJays". Himself had a pastrami, turkey, and Swiss cheese deli sandwich on homemade rye, I had a Cobb salad. We split a super-decadent, fudgy chocolate cake. A single layer. Dare I say it was too much chocolate? Hmm, nope! ?

...She's a great wife, but doesn't understand knives and such...
And yet you still keep her. I must be true love. :heart:

rodentraiser - what is that mozza kit like? wonder if it is available in Canada... might be interested.

It says that all you need is one gallon of milk and it makes 4lbs of cheese in about an hour. The kit includes a dairy thermometer, cheese salt, rennet, citric acid, and gloves. The kit is by Roaring Brook Dairy. I don't know where it came from because it was a Christmas present - from year before last. LOL It does say it makes one pound at a time, so maybe I should open it and check it out.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Thanks Rodentraiser. I'm going to check it out. Looks even more interesting when you say "1 pound at a time"... don't know what I would do with 4 pounds at once. LOL

I did a quick TJ run on way to pick DD up from work. So I got my baby greens for my salad and some blue cheese and roasted pecan dip. I will add some of the dip to my salad dressing.

I also picked up some baconesque popcorn and maple and brown sugar complete oatmeal which has vitamins and minerals added (I add half tsp. of blackstrap molasses to a serving for the added health benefits of vitamins and minerals). So I'm set for snacks and breakfasts. :angel:
IMG_1477.jpg

Last edited:
It says that all you need is one gallon of milk and it makes 4lbs of cheese in about an hour. The kit includes a dairy thermometer, cheese salt, rennet, citric acid, and gloves. The kit is by Roaring Brook Dairy. I don't know where it came from because it was a Christmas present - from year before last. LOL It does say it makes one pound at a time, so maybe I should open it and check it out.

Well, it might take 4 gallons of milk to make 4 lbs of cheese, 1 gallon and 1 lb at a time. Rennet, doesn't last forever, so I'd try the first gallon and see if the rennet was good. If it doesn't produce good curd within a half hour, you might want to get some fresh liquid rennet.

My recipe was 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of citric acid in water, to one gallon of milk at between 60 and 80 degrees F. Warm it to 88 degrees F, and add 1/2 teaspoon of liquid rennet in water (though yours may be in a tablet form) stirring for 30 seconds. Let sit at 88, for 45 minutes, cut into a grid pattern, let sit another 15. Now you can raise the heat and 'spin' the mozzarella to smooth, shiny, stretchy, at about 130 or higher, with gloves on, then either add salt, or let the balls of mozzarella sit in a salt brine, Or scoop it out and drain in a cheese cloth over a colander over a kettle, refrigerate it and spin it out in hot water the next day. There are lots of youtube video's giving good instructions on making mozzarella, temperatures, amounts, how to recognize a good curd, how to see it 'knitting' together, how to 'spin' or stretch it out, etc.

I can't wait to make the next batch. I did freeze balls of mozzarella, wrapped in plastic wrap (3x), and we kept some out to make pizza tonight. (thanks Dawg for your thoughts on that)

Back
Top Bottom