Heavy windows/doors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Does any one have a suggestion for overly large windows that because of their size are extremely difficult to open.

I have a window that is 6'4" long by 32" high. It is a basement window, about 4'+ high in the wall. Awkward to reach or leverage.
Most I can open is a couple of inches either side. Even my son has difficulties.

I've been looking for my silicon spray but guess it is still in storage. Not sure it would even help but need to try.
Looking at the window I can even see it is minutely sagging in the center.

Any suggestions?

Well, that's annoying. I'm sorry, I don't have any suggestions. That "minutely sagging" doesn't sound good. I have a bedroom window that has four sliding panes and a sliding screen. I need to replace it. It will only open properly from one side and the screen won't slide. I'm pretty sure, in my case, it's because of the building shifting. The danged window is from the early 1970s and houses in the Montreal area do tend to shift a bit.

I hope you can figure something out that's cheaper than having the window replaced.

thanks for your thoughts taxy. These are fairly new windows. This is a logistic problem symptomatic of length vs height. And perhaps overzealous contractors trying to do a perfect job. LOL

It is that big to give egress in an emergency.

Is it sticking, or just not rolling. Silicone spray is the easiest thing to try first.

Other things are the track may not be snapped all the way down. The window may be out of level or out of square.

Is the reveal even juat before it closes?

It is that big to give egress in an emergency.

Is it sticking, or just not rolling. Silicone spray is the easiest thing to try first.

Other things are the track may not be snapped all the way down. The window may be out of level or out of square.

Is the reveal even juat before it closes?

To be that big for an emergency sounds like they want to take a body out sideways.... and I'm only 5'+ not 6'.

I'm assuming the 'reveal' is part of the track? Usually these type of windows lift up and them pull out at the bottom to remove (or to put in) but I know it would not be an easy job for anyone fit - and certainly not for a 76 y.o.

Thanks Vinyl, I'll will start with the silicone spray. I won't be able to do much if it is out of alignment.

I had an experience with this same problem with a much smaller window I had installed at the farm about 4 years ago. The framing was so tight even the contractor had a hard time lifting and pushing it in. :mad: But by this time all the framework was done and I honestly didn't have the umph to make a fuss about it.
I also believe that these preconstructed windows are made tight like that to begin with. Catch 22.

If I can't find my silicone spray on my next trip to the storage warehouse, guess I'll buy another one. (hate buying another when just one will probably last me more than 5/6 years!)

OK, just looked up 'reveal'. Are you referring to the wood framing before the premade window is installed?

I would say the distance actually made the frame sag in the centre. Other than putting a support in the centre to push up, I can't see another solution.

Even that would disturb the gyprock and who knows what else.

Hope you can see.past all the junk . 20210526_075307.jpg

The sag could possibly mean the rollers are worn. Do you see any metal shavings? The windows need to be pulled out and inspected. I’ve replaced a couple of rollers on our patio doors/windows.... they were heavy, required an assistant to lift off of track.

I was going to suggest checking the rollers if the silicon spray does not work. My bedroom window in my parent's home had windows like that. They should open easily. If they have not been opened in a while, the spray .ight work.

No, no metal shavings. Newer type window, vinyl on vinyl.

I had a super heavy patio door in the kitchen on the farm. Those rollers came off and had to be lifted and tightened on a regular basis. Ancient door LOL but too expensive to replace. Were double doors, could open from either side, which was great when one side came of the wheels, just used the other side until time to call in help!

Draw back was the screen door, which took constant abuse from dogs and cats, was between the double doors. Had to remove the doors in order to remove the screen.

The kitchen window was the same. Even bigger than the one here I'm complaining about, screens were between the double windows. Windows in 3 sections, but man, with a bit of spray those things flew open and shut. LOL certainly no sagging on that one!

Have you considered joining a gym to work on your upper body strength? LA Fitness and 24Hr Fitness are both really great ones. Planet Fitness not so great, but it is cheap.

Last edited:
Have you tried using a make-shift lever dragn?
I use tools to help me, as I am vertically challenged aka short :LOL:
To reach shelves too tall for me, I use my extra long kitchen
tongs to grab stuff down.

I'm working on my master's at attacking challenges.

At one point I had to walk with a cane. Never realized how handy. Pushes 'wheelchair handicap buttons' at a distance so door is actually open by the time you get there.
Used as a hook to topple things off the top shelves, drop hook onto arm and catch your prize mid-air. Got a few compliments at the grocers for my agility. :LOL:

I too, also use long tongs to get things in the kitchen and a few of the light things I can even put back with them.

I do admit I bought a $$tore gadget for picking things up. Papers off the floor, things at the back of the bottom cupboard. So cheap - I actually bought 3. One for the kitchen, one for at the front door, hangs up beside my super long shoehorn, and one for the barn (but I broke that one :neutral:)

I found a short broom stick (no idea what was on the end) but it is fairly sturdy and I can close the windows without climbing/balancing. Doesn't open them though - workin' on it.

S.LOB,
Slinging hay bales, water buckets, wrestling fences, grappling horses, geese and chickens, walking several miles a day - kept me in pretty good shape - probably better than most my age, so in other words I don't do gyms.
Then along comes multiple torn rotator cuffs, operations and arthritis. Nah, still don't do gyms.:angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom