How much of a picky eater are you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
14 things, wow, that's a lot. What don't you eat?

I am not even talking about 27, below.
I thought about it some more and got it down to 10. I took it to mean what don't you like to eat, not what will you absolutely refuse to eat.

Raw onion
Marmite
Blue cheese
Tofu
Parsnips
Licorice
Grapefruit
White chocolate - if I'm going to have chocolate, I want it to be CHOCOLATE [emoji38]
Kidneys
Liver

yay, I got the quiz open. I am a three. Don't eat kidneys (taste like urine, thanks to pranks in high school I know what it tastes like). Cilantro but I do eat the seeds and chicken.

Only if kidney is not prepared properly. On the other hand properly prepared kidneys have no taste at all. I like and eat for texture, which is very specific and not for everybody.

Marmite is awesome. The South African version Oxo is even better. Almost the same but contains beef extract. A little goes a long way it is very strong. Thinly spread on hot buttered toast with finely grated cheddar cheese yum!

Only if kidney is not prepared properly. On the other hand properly prepared kidneys have no taste at all. I like and eat for texture, which is very specific and not for everybody.

I have never actually cooked kidneys myself. Perhaps they were just badly prepared but I didn't like the texture either. Rubbery and unpleasant. I have had a few steak and kidney pies that were not bad. I eat other kinds of offal. Livers ( even chicken liver ), tongue, head cheese, lamb and pigs head, braun etc. Cilantro is soapy and chicken only because I couldn't stomach it while pregnant with both my children. This list was really mild, nothing scary on there really. How would you suggest I prepare kidneys? perhaps I should try making it myself

12 for me. I don't do organ meat, except an occasional RMO. Also don't like eggplant, dark chocolate, licorice, or grapefruit. I seem to be particularly sensitive to bitter foods - they leave an unpleasant aftertaste in my mouth, which is why I listed those items. I also don't drink coffee. The only items that I checked that I've never actually tried are the Marmite and taramasalata.

I took it again with a different mindset and got it down to 10 [emoji38] I really don't like grapefruit or licorice,kidneys or liver, or white "chocolate" - I'm not going to waste calories on fake chocolate :ROFLMAO:

Just a note... white chocolate IS chocolate. It just uses the cocoa butter from the cacao plant, none of the bean.

12 for me. I don't do organ meat, except an occasional RMO. Also don't like eggplant, dark chocolate, licorice, or grapefruit. I seem to be particularly sensitive to bitter foods - they leave an unpleasant aftertaste in my mouth, which is why I listed those items. I also don't drink coffee. The only items that I checked that I've never actually tried are the Marmite and taramasalata.

Just a note... white chocolate IS chocolate. It just uses the cocoa butter from the cacao plant, none of the bean.

White "chocolate" doesn't qualify as chocolate as it contains no cocoa powder aka chocolate solids.

Maybe I like white chocolate because I'm not a true chocolate lover.

I've only eaten/prepared lamb kidneys, never beef. It's been a very long time, but I learned the recipe from my Dad. It was a butter Sauterne wine dish with mushrooms and parsley served over wide egg noodles and it was delicious. The hard part was preparing the kidneys for cooking...not pleasant, and I'll likely never do it again.

yay, I got the quiz open. I am a three. Don't eat kidneys (taste like urine, thanks to pranks in high school I know what it tastes like). Cilantro but I do eat the seeds and chicken.

When I lived in Texas, I could always tell when one of my neighbors would be cooking kidneys. The stink went through the whole neighborhood!

When I lived in Texas, I could always tell when one of my neighbors would be cooking kidneys. The stink went through the whole neighborhood!

Just reading this is making me feel a little green lol. I like smelly food but not that smelly. Maybe I will stick to blue cheese and garlic.

Snip, if you decide to try lamb kidneys, after cleaning they must be soaked in cold water with some white vinegar for about two hours. There will be no unpleasant odor while cooking and the meat is mild and tender.

I have no experience with beef kidney and I suspect that was what you smelled in Texas Addie.

Only 4 for me and mayo is because it can do bad things to me. coffee is gross, but I'll use it and the grounds for cooking. I do love coffee flavored things.

Snip, if you decide to try lamb kidneys, after cleaning they must be soaked in cold water with some white vinegar for about two hours. There will be no unpleasant odor while cooking and the meat is mild and tender.

I have no experience with beef kidney and I suspect that was what you smelled in Texas Addie.

I will give it a go thank you

I am lactose intolerant, citrus intolerant but there is rice milk chocolate and even lactose free milk chocolate and I cant have boiled or fried eggs or coffee.
So I ended up with 6 out of 87 .

How ever I dont like licorice as made with aniseed , it has to be licorice root since that is the thing I grew up with as licorice.

Taramasalata, is really good. I have had it. Marmite, well a little on a toast with butter and I am in heaven, or a bit in tomato soup, yum.

Last edited:
So glad to hear Snip!! :chef: When kids (like me) are raised with unusual foods, they think nothing of it!

Exactly! I don't make a fuss over food either. If you tell a child they will only get pudding if they eat all their broccoli or beans etc they will think there must be something nasty about those foods if you have to bribe them.

Addie,

In Taramasalata, one either employs cod fish with, lemon juice, boiled potatoes, Greek Evoo, salt to taste and parsley minced .. A stand up mixer or a food processor or a blender or by hand to a " nice thick dip " ..

Roe or taramina could substitute the cod fish or grey mullet .. However, if you are using Cod fish, you do not need the Taramina or Roe .. Serve with Hot Pita and dip .. Enjoy with a side of Kalamata Olives or fresh tomato ..

Lovely ..

Have a lovely weekend ..

Last edited:
Jennyema,

Considering all the trips I have made to Greece, I have never seen it prepared with bread because it is served with hot on the premises, baked Pita bread.

Greek Yogurt the base of Tsaziki could be served separately along with some Taramosalata however, never together on the same plate nor regular Greek Yogurt .. Tsaziki ..

However, classics in Greece are very different than having Greek Cuisine outside of Greece ..

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom