ISO a good red pasta sauce {no meat}

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4to

Senior Cook
I have been making the same meatless red sauce for a long time, I am looking for a new red sauce, here is mine, which is always a hit, I use it in my lasagna, on pasta, in calzones, on pizza, ect its fast easy and always gets comments like "where did you buy this sauce?" lol...

I start with 1/4 cup olive oil, heat and add 1 large onion {sliced}.

In the food processor I mix 2 cups cashews, 1 TBL of olive oil, 1 onion {additional to the one already cooking}, 6 cloves garlic, 2 TBL of Basil, 2 teas oregano, and some red pepper flakes... I add it to my pan and let it simmer a bit.

I then add a can of paste, TBL of brown sugar, and 1/2 cup red wine, I simmer that a bit and then add my tomato {28 oz can}... Salt and black pepper to taste... The longer it cooks the better it tastes...

Sometimes I double up on the paste and cashews if I want it thicker..

So does anyone have a recipe for me to try or maybe a couple changes I can make to mine for something different...

thanks

The simplest one that I know is a variation of Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce.

28 ounce can of Wegman's crushed tomatoes or an equal amount of dead ripe homegrown tomatoes peeled and roughly chopped.
5 or 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter, divided
1 medium onion stuck with two whole cloves
salt and pepper to taste

Simmer the crushed tomatoes, onion/cloves and half the butter for 30 minutes on low heat, uncovered, stirring every now and then. Taste, add salt and pepper if desired, remove onion, add remaining butter and stir gently. Serve over pasta.

If you have a half cup or so left over poach a couple of eggs in it and serve them over garlic toast with a sprinkle of grated cheese.

This also makes a nice simple soup on a cold winter night. A splash of heavy cream or a dollop of sour cream swirled in at the last minute is a nice finish.

You may want to start with the original.

Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce Recipe - NYT Cooking

Thanks,

Its been the same since I came up with it {after 10+ batches of tweaking that is}, it started as one of those things, "lets try something different" and then "wow this sauce is amazing" to now "red sauce again?"...

The simplest one that I know is a variation of Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce.

28 ounce can of Wegman's crushed tomatoes or an equal amount of dead ripe homegrown tomatoes peeled and roughly chopped.
5 or 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter, divided
1 medium onion stuck with two whole cloves
salt and pepper to taste

Simmer the crushed tomatoes, onion/cloves and half the butter for 30 minutes on low heat, uncovered, stirring every now and then. Taste, add salt and pepper if desired, remove onion, add remaining butter and stir gently. Serve over pasta.

If you have a half cup or so left over poach a couple of eggs in it and serve them over garlic toast with a sprinkle of grated cheese.

This also makes a nice simple soup on a cold winter night. A splash of heavy cream or a dollop of sour cream swirled in at the last minute is a nice finish.

You may want to start with the original.

Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce Recipe - NYT Cooking

I thought of Marcella Hazan's recipe, as well. Her books are usually my "bible" for Italian cooking.

I have been making the same meatless red sauce for a long time, I am looking for a new red sauce, here is mine, which is always a hit, I use it in my lasagna, on pasta, in calzones, on pizza, ect its fast easy and always gets comments like "where did you buy this sauce?" lol...

I start with 1/4 cup olive oil, heat and add 1 large onion {sliced}.

In the food processor I mix 2 cups cashews, 1 TBL of olive oil, 1 onion {additional to the one already cooking}, 6 cloves garlic, 2 TBL of Basil, 2 teas oregano, and some red pepper flakes... I add it to my pan and let it simmer a bit.

I then add a can of paste, TBL of brown sugar, and 1/2 cup red wine, I simmer that a bit and then add my tomato {28 oz can}... Salt and black pepper to taste... The longer it cooks the better it tastes...

Sometimes I double up on the paste and cashews if I want it thicker..

So does anyone have a recipe for me to try or maybe a couple changes I can make to mine for something different...

thanks

Are the Cashews Raw or Roasted ?

Are the Cashews Raw or Roasted ?

Roasted cashews, I buy the broken ones, they are much cheaper and since I am processing them anyway it works out... I used to roast them myself, but it costs more per lb for raw vs roasted so I save myself the work now...

You can process them down as much as you want, if you like a chunky sauce leave the chunky if you like a silky sauce go until they are smooth, I do it either way depending what I am going to use it for...

The sauce comes so good kids will come and eat it as soup with a loaf of bread and no pasta, so now I will make some bread bowls and heat some sauce up for him, except Ill add parmesan cheese, and a dollop of sour cream to the sauce... I make the sauce in bulk and then freeze it, I used to jar it but its not that same, I will still make some jars now and then, maybe its the lemon juice I put in the jars? Just not the same, it works better stored frozen...

For a brighter/fresher flavor in you red sauce, omit the wine, saute' some chopped shrooms in butter, then add to your sauce, and cook the whole thing for no more than 30 minutes, just long enough to get the herbs and spices working. Then remove from heat, and chill rapidly. Let sit in the fridge overnight. Serve the next day.

I enjoy the slow cooked red sauce version. But at times (probably even a personal preference) I enjoy the bright flavor of making my sauce with crushed and diced tomatoes, with nothing added by the canner. I'm then free to make it taste the way I want it to taste. I do thicken with tomato paste as well. The fresh onion sweetens the sauce for me so that I need no added sugar. And I also tend to be a little garlic and basil heavy, with oregano, marjoram, thyme, and rosemary playing supporting rolls.

The mushrooms have to be sauteed enough, in butter, with salt, to bring out there wonderful flavor that blends so well in tomato sauce.

Sometimes, I'll make the sauce more like the French mother sauce, with carrots, onions, and such. The carrots also add sweetness to the mix, as well as nutrition and flavor.

Do not, I repeat, do not add cinnamon. Don't ask me how I know that. I just do. It's a legendary story when I get together with the kids.:LOL: It completely ruins the sauce.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Do not, I repeat, do not add cinnamon. Don't ask me how I know that. I just do. It's a legendary story when I get together with the kids.:LOL: It completely ruins the sauce.

I sense an episode of cinnamon overload ;) My MIL's best tip for lasagna, which was given to her by an Italian neighbor, was to add a pinch of cinnamon to the lasagna sauce. She said it counters the acidity of the tomatoes. I've done that all my married life.

You do have to be careful to add just a pinch. You shouldn't be able to taste it.

When I use tomato paste in a cooked sauce, I make sure it goes in where it has the opportunity to brown. This is usually after the onions have sweated and the garlic has been added. Really adds another depth of flavor. I will sometimes add small dice carrot when the onions go in.

Sometimes I like to use grape tomatoes in a quick pan sauce, which may contain zucchini and mushrooms in addition to the onion, garlic and spices. I cook the pasta until just before it is done and let it finish in the sauce.

I sense an episode of cinnamon overload ;) My MIL's best tip for lasagna, which was given to her by an Italian neighbor, was to add a pinch of cinnamon to the lasagna sauce. She said it counters the acidity of the tomatoes. I've done that all my married life.

You do have to be careful to add just a pinch. You shouldn't be able to taste it.

Funny thing; it was at MIL's house, where the bottle marked garlic was filled with cinnamon.:ohmy:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

A simple, very tasty red sauce for pasta I use a lot is to sweat off some finely chopped onions, adding some crushed garlic and finely chopped celery towards the end of the softening phase. Tip all into a saucepan with some tinned chopped tomatoes, chopped anchovy fillets (they melt down), seasoning and some basil. Simmer for about 20 - 30 mins. Great with spaghetti.

(I use about half a tin of anchovy fillets, say about 6 for a small 7 oz tin of tomatoes).

But the anchovies are not vegetarian....

Here's my standard red sauce:

1/4 C Olive oil
1/2 large onion diced
1/2 sweet red pepper diced
1/2 Tsp coarsely ground fennel seed (just crush them up a little w/mortar and pestle)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
chopped garlic (several cloves)
1 can plain tomato sauce (14 oz)
1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz)
2 Tablespoons of tomato paste (catsup can be substituted)
2 tsp dried oregano
1 Tbl dried basil or a handful of fresh shopped
2 tsp dried parsley
cracked black pepper
more Olive Oil

Sweat the onion and sweet pepper in olive oil. Add fennel seed and pepper flakes and cook in oil and savories for a minute or so to toast and boost flavor. Add garlic and cook another few seconds (do not brown garlic). Add all other ingredients bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for a few minutes or longer (20 minutes is optimal), stirring occasionally. Do not scorch. Just before serving add another TBL of EVOO.

The fennel is key to great sauce. You can alter this sauce as you like - I often add browned mushrooms. I actually brown those first and then begin the recipe in the same pan.

This sauce is delicious on pasta or can be used on a pizza or as a base for another dish. you can vary the proportions of spice and herb to meet your taste but don;t skip the fennel. Topping with fresh basil at the end is a super addition.

Your sauce sounds interesting, C4to. I may have to try it with the cashews...yum.

My neighbor makes the best marinara. I asked her for her recipe and it's so simple. Hard to believe.... it's amazingly good. A non-recipe, really:

Lynn's Marinara

Sweat (a lot of) chopped garlic in a generous amount of olive oil. Throw in chopped fresh or canned tomatoes and several bay leaves and simmer until thick. That's it.

I probably use one large bulb garlic, 2-3 Tbsp oil and two quarts tomatoes.

Your sauce sounds interesting, C4to. I may have to try it with the cashews...yum.

My neighbor makes the best marinara. I asked her for her recipe and it's so simple. Hard to believe.... it's amazingly good. A non-recipe, really:

Lynn's Marinara

Sweat (a lot of) chopped garlic in a generous amount of olive oil. Throw in chopped fresh or canned tomatoes and several bay leaves and simmer until thick. That's it.

I probably use one large bulb garlic, 2-3 Tbsp oil and two quarts tomatoes.

Use sauce over pasta, egg plant, or chicken, and afterwards know that you are immune to pesky mosquitoes for a week.:LOL:

Truly, those who eat substantial amounts of garlic are less likely to be bitten by mosquitoes. This includes me. When I eat lots of garlic in my foods, I rarely get bitten, while everyone else gets eaten up.

It's been said that the garlic smell will be noticeable on people who use lots of it in their foods.

Oh sorry, I missed the reference to it having to be vegetarian.

I have added A PINCH of cinnamon to tomato sauces for years. As quoted, you should not taste the spice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom