Issue with air fryer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVS053063

Assistant Cook
Whenever I air fry frozen fries/sweet potato crinkle fries the ends get burned while the middle remains a bit soggy. I just go with the default of 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Is there something else I should be doing? Thanks.

Do you cover the bottom with foil? Don’t. An air fryer is a convection oven and air needs to flow freely around the food for it to cook evenly.

I have an air fryer oven and I put crinkle cut fries in the basket insert in a single layer (very important), and put the settings @ 380F for 14 minutes. For shoestring potatoes I reduce the time to 12 minutes. They come out pretty good, but are missing the flavour of deep frying in oil.

We're new to the air frying machine but I do like making sweet potato fries. From raw, cutting in french fry shapes, I bakes them at 390 deg F for 15 minutes, then shake them to mix them up, then another 10 minutes. Mine are often darker, yes some burnt, on the thinner pieces and ends and the middles are done but not crispy. I eat them anyways and they are good.
Since sweet potatoes have so much moisture they rarely stay crisp. Even when I've had them fried in oil (years ago in south carolina on vacation) they tend to get soggy within a few minutes.
As an experiment you could try baking them at 300 deg F for 20 minutes, shaking them up to redistribute them and then another 10 minutes and see if that helps.

I bought an Air Fryer and have used it a few times with mixed results. All I will say is that it doesn't do what is claimed by any means and I am going back to a good old fashioned Deep Fryer that I know works :)

ommercial Grade air fryers might work but the every day run of the mill residential ones just don't seem to be worth the money and come across a bit of a gimmick to be honest.

I think if you really pay attention to comments... it seems to me that most people are saying that it is not exactly the same function as they want but the pro's seem to outweigh the con's.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom