Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looky what arrived from Amazon:

View attachment 65680

It looks really solid and sturdy. It spins really fast without much effort. The brake works well. I can hardly wait to try it.
I got one of those when I had to use my Bed, Bath, & Beyond gift card. Love it! I do like my lettuce a bit dryer than the spinner gets it, so I just sprinkle the torn lettuce across a kitchen towel, roll it up gently, and tuck it into the fridge while I prep everything else for the salad. The lettuce is practically dry-dry when I'm ready to assemble the salad.

I inherited a vintage Tupperware salad spinner that was my mums.
IMG_0303.jpeg

This, but in a very fetching shade of mustard 🤨
It was a piece of equipment that I shunned for a long while since I have an aversion to one purpose items. But over time I have experimented with other ways to use it and it is very useful for many things that have never been on the radar for these.
Getting starch and moisture out of your fries, making sure that if you’re doing a dusting on veggies it comes out really light, and so on.
One of the best chefs I ever worked for said that while she understood why I dislike single purpose equipment, it was closed-minded not to take the intention into account and discover other uses for the piece.
Very solid advice.

Speaking of single purpose Items, something I posted on another forum, showing something I have where they were talking about "kitchen toys", and mentioned Microplanes. I have a couple of them that I use for many things, but one single purpose toy that I have is the best nutmeg grater I've ever used, which is a very fine Microplane, with a storage top, that pops off, with a lid, and the bottom, with the grater, that slides off, to get to the grated nutmeg.
Microplane nutmeg grater, showing the storage lid, and the lower container, for the grated nutmeg. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Microplane nutmeg grater by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
My mom had a tiny nutmeg grater. It was flat on one side with the grates on the other curved side. The half moon shaped bottom was hinged and flipped down to open and the nutmeg was stored inside. At least that's how I remember it.
She also had a tiny tiny box grater, I looked for either one for years but never found even a remotely similar looking one.

Nice grater pepper!
I use my micro for nutmeg now but I think it is ruining it by being to hard and either pressing the teeth in or dulling them.

Recently I have found several of both models above - guess I didn't have the benefit of the internet back then. Plus there is that now popular surge of interest in kitchen gadgets coming back to life.

edit:
oops correction, the lid was on the top
nutmeg_grated_iso_web_ready__18294.png
nutmeg_grated_2_iso_web_ready__69149.jpg

now I see that supposedly you can get the box ones in Walmart. But I've never seen them there (I have to pass the gadget aisle every time I'm there, :whistling )
EUROHOME-4SIDED-GRATER__31680.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of single purpose Items, something I posted on another forum, showing something I have where they were talking about "kitchen toys", and mentioned Microplanes. I have a couple of them that I use for many things, but one single purpose toy that I have is the best nutmeg grater I've ever used, which is a very fine Microplane, with a storage top, that pops off, with a lid, and the bottom, with the grater, that slides off, to get to the grated nutmeg.
Microplane nutmeg grater, showing the storage lid, and the lower container, for the grated nutmeg. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Microplane nutmeg grater by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Where did you get that?

@dragnlaw I had one of those old nutmeg graters, probably bought in the 70s, for 99¢! It worked ok, but had to clean the nutmeg off with a brush every time. I gave it to a friend, so it's still working. Never had the teeth get dull.

@msmofet I don't know where I got that thing, but it seems it's nowhere out there now, at least in Amazon or ebay, which usually have some things they stopped making! Maybe because it's one of those "single purpose" items, that just didn't sell much? I saw countless Microplane items out there - just not this one anymore! Figures, doesn't it...

I have this one for grating nutmeg. Microplane Manual Spice Mill. Currently $21 on Amazon. Works really well, we use it almost everyday. Doesn't have a catch cup and the top part is kept on by gravity. Never had any issues with it clogging up. The top part is the pestle and it also acts as a gauge of how much nutmeg you have left.

Attachments

• microplane grater.jpeg
    microplane grater.jpeg
    4.6 KB · Views: 12
I don't know if it is Chanuka that came early, or I simply decided to spoil myself before Rosh Hashana, but Amazon had this knife for a very reasonable price and I liked it. But when I got it, oh my, I ...... loved it. I'm just going to post the link here, I always have problem with picture adding.:

Knife

It came in this gorgeous wooden box, really amazing.
The only problem is how to bring it home. I promised my wife not to buy any more knives.

I don't know if it is Chanuka that came early, or I simply decided to spoil myself before Rosh Hashana, but Amazon had this knife for a very reasonable price and I liked it. But when I got it, oh my, I ...... loved it. I'm just going to post the link here, I always have problem with picture adding.:

Knife

It came in this gorgeous wooden box, really amazing.
The only problem is how to bring it home. I promised my wife not to buy any more knives.
When I read that, I had to check the date of the post. I could swear you have written that exact same thing before.

You are right taxy, I'm sure he did.
Sneaking them into the house... again!

Charlie, watch out! Your wife is soon going to realize that there is an extra zero beside the number of knives you have.

"Ahhh, no honey, I only have 10 knives... (that you can see)". (plus a 0 on the end = 100)

@dragnlaw I had one of those old nutmeg graters, probably bought in the 70s, for 99¢! It worked ok, but had to clean the nutmeg off with a brush every time. I gave it to a friend, so it's still working. Never had the teeth get dull.

@msmofet I don't know where I got that thing, but it seems it's nowhere out there now, at least in Amazon or ebay, which usually have some things they stopped making! Maybe because it's one of those "single purpose" items, that just didn't sell much? I saw countless Microplane items out there - just not this one anymore! Figures, doesn't it...
THIS ONE looks similar...not sure I would pay what they want for it?

Katie, you are exactly who I was thinking about as I wrote "for those of you with Thrift Shop Luck". :winkiss: I'm glad you were able to find a new crockpot so fast (and so cheap) since you do use it a lot. IF we're ever in your neck of the woods, I want to go Goodwilling with you!
Go for it! I've found tons of things that have their original price stickers on them. Clothing is the best!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom