Modifying a recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zim

Assistant Cook
I found a recipe (see below) for honeyed duck or goose... I wanted to use it to make a chicken. How would I modify this recipe for a chicken? Do I need to even?
Thanks in advance!
Honeyed Duck or Goose Recipe

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds good just make sure you use an appropriate cooking time for the size of chicken you get
:)

Considering that recipe makes enough for a goose or four ducks, you might want to halve it. If not, be prepared for a lot of leftover mixture. That may not be a bad idea if you find that you really like it, though;) .

Ciao,

I hate to disagree with all of the fine cooks here, but I will do so.

Duck and goose are robust meats, I love them both. Chicken is not.

I believe the chicken will be overwhelmed by those ingredients.

Were you dealing with only the thighs, it might work. But I am not sure about the breast meat.

Just MHO and would love to hear how it worked out.

I think you can go for it, but remember that chickens are not only smaller birds, but have some important physical differences from ducks and geese. Ducks and geese are waterfowl, and have a much thicker layer of fat under the skin than a chicken does. So when cooking, make sure not only to adjust time for the size of the bird, but also for that lack of fat in the chickens.

The recipe states to roast at 400 for the first 30 minutes, and I'm not sure whether this is to make the skin crispy, or to help the extra fat render, or perhaps both, but I've never had problems getting my skin crispy on a chicken cooking at an even temp. I also never cook my birds breast down.

Goose, Ducks, Chicken....ARE DIFFERENT. I raise Ducks. Use the meat that is required in your recipe. There are a "bizzilion" chicken recipes, why adapt?

i might have to agree with auntdot that the flavorings might be a litte overwhelming for the chicken..but i would try anyways(you won't know until you try) but i would watch the cooking times as stated a number of times already chicken has less fat then the other 2.and even though there is alot of sauce,it's not like fat cooking through the meat.you don't want the meat to get dried out.

Back
Top Bottom