Monday, January 29, 2024

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Puntarelle with homemade semolina cavatelli and burrata. Puntarelle is the mysyery vegetable in my farmer's market haul post.

20240129_183639.jpg

I made 4 pizza's (enough for 2.5 meals for 2) for lunch, lots of peppers and mushrooms on that (reduced produce). WW crust, olives 2 kinds, vegan homemade pepperoni, basil/parsley/garlic, tomato sauce, cashew-potato 'cheeze'.
So since I had skipped breakfast, I had breakfast for dinner.
Carrot slaw (carrot apple pineapple), fermented rolled 9 grain, blueberries, ground flax/chia, cinnamon, honey. It was SOOOOO filling and delicious and juicy and crunchy. Just what I needed.
We had crustless pumpkin pie with raspberry topping for a mid day snack.

Shrimp in Alfredo sauce. I was going to use half the bag of shrimp and add noodles, but then I would have had half a bag of shrimp I'd have to eat soon before they went bad. So I asked myself, why ever should I? So I cooked the entire bag of shrimp and added some garlic and Parmesan cheese instead of noodles and ate them all. Plus some garlic bread. It was delicious and I think I just gained 5 pounds.

We call "puntarelle" the central part (the shoots) of a type of chicory (catalogna) , sometimes called white asparagus because of their appearance,can be eaten raw in salads or cooked (goes well with anchovies).

We call "puntarelle" the central part (the shoots) of a type of chicory (catalogna) , sometimes called white asparagus because of their appearance,can be eaten raw in salads or cooked (goes well with anchovies).
Since it is part of a type of chicory, is it bitter? If so, how bitter?

@taxlady ,I've never actually tasted those before. I know what they are because I see them at the grocers and I've heard a lot about them, but my family has never been a keen "greens consumer" of any type, apart from lettuce, spinach, broccoli. I usually ignore them when I'm at the supermarket, but now I'm curious to taste them, I expect they are quite bitter, coming from the chicory family? Or perhaps not so, because they are the central softer part of the plant? We have wild chicory growing all around our land which is terribly bitter, my mum loves it though! Apparently, to eliminate some of the bitterness, you should emerge chicory in water with ice for 2 hours and then boil it, adding potatoes which should absorb the bitterness. 😏

Since it is part of a type of chicory, is it bitter? If so, how bitter?
The outer leaves are supposedly quite bitter, but I didn't get any of those, as I bought the "heart" of the plant, the puntarelle. I tasted it raw, before soaking in ice water, which I did anyway, and got a celery light taste to my palate.

When I was reading about the plant, it was suggested that if you use the outer leaves that you soak in ice water for several hours, I believe 3 was the consensus, and then use the outer leaves in something like a minestrone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom