Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My next door neighbor has her daughter living with her. The mother is developing Alzheimer's.

Before Gena moved in, her boyfriend died of cancer. He had this big old ancient mutt. And he had the dogs vocal chords cut so he can't bark. Gina promised her BF that she would keep the dog and take care of him. Well, today was the final day for the dog.

She called an agency that comes to the home, quietly puts the animal to sleep and then finishes the job. They remove the dog, cremate him and return the ashes to Gina. It was definitely time for him to cross over that Rainbow Bridge. He had become blind along with many other ailments. He couldn't see and kept walking into walls.

I went into my cache of cards for every occasion and found the perfect one. Pirate wrote a lovely note in it for her. I am hoping she got some comfort from it. It was all about crossing that Rainbow Bridge and who was waiting for him. She was able to hold the dog in her arms while they were putting him down. She knocked on my door a short while ago to thank us for the card and message.

I am glad we helped make it just a wee bit easier for her to do this. This dog was 15 years old. I don't know who I feel worse for. Gina or the dog. The dog was a Golden Retriever. I am not sure what the life expectancy is for this breed. But I have the feeling he lived way over the time allotted to him.

So now, she lost her boyfriend about six/seven months ago and now his dog. She took the day off from work so she could say her goodbye's.

Today made me realize that even though Teddy belongs to Spike, I will be lost without him. And he is already past the age they give his breed for longevity. I miss him when he is home with Spike.

This is not as timely as it could have been, but this was my boy Miley on Christmas morning, every bit as excited as any child to get at his stocking and see what Santa brought him.

i-7L2dT4j-L.jpg

We have been fostering a baby kitty. On Saturday morning DD #2 said she heard a kitty crying for about an hour. She waited for the rain to stop before she went to look. She went outside and found a tiny kitty covered in mud. The momma was no where around. She kept going out to see if the mama came back for the baby but she never came back. I hope the mama is OK. We think it's a girl. She still has blue eyes and tiny teeth. But she is tiny. DD took her to work after going to get baby kitty milk and a bottle. Her store manager told her to bring the baby to work. The store managers mom has a co-worker who wants her but can't take her till shes old enough to be weened and use the litter box. Shes an EMT so can't spend the time at home all day taking care of her. DD and I have been caring for her. The woman has named her Bella.

Here's baby Bella.

bella_04202019_1_IMG_5624.jpg

bella_04202019_2_IMG_5621.jpg

bella_04202019_3_IMG_5609.jpg

Last edited:
We have been fostering a baby kitty. On Saturday morning DD #2 said she heard a kitty crying for about an hour. She waited for the rain to stop before she went to look. She went outside and found a tiny kitty covered in mud. The momma was no where around. She kept going out to see if the mama came back for the baby but she never came back. I hope the mama is OK. We think it's a girl. She still has blue eyes and tiny teeth. But she is tiny. DD took her to work after going to get baby kitty milk and a bottle. Her store manager told her to bring the baby to work. The store managers mom has a co-worker who wants her but can't take her till shes old enough to be weened and use the litter box. Shes an EMT so can't spend the time at home all day taking care of her. DD and I have been caring for her. The woman has named her Bella.

Here's baby Bella.

View attachment 34570

View attachment 34571

View attachment 34572

What wonderful people your family is. Unfortunately I have known folks who would have just left the kitty out there to die. Thank you for caring so much about those that need love and caring.

What wonderful people your family is. Unfortunately I have known folks who would have just left the kitty out there to die. Thank you for caring so much about those that need love and caring.

Thank you Addie. I have been sick (still am feeling lousy). So DD took care of her on Easter and I fed her twice yesterday. I don't think I can get her sick.

She's such a little bean. Not more than a handful.

My biggest worry is we will all get so attached to her.

Last edited:
Thank you Addie. I have been sick (still am feeling lousy). So DD took care of her on Easter and I fed her twice yesterday. I don't think I can get her sick.

She's such a little bean. Not more than a handful.

My biggest worry is we will all get so attached to her.

Of course all of you will become very attached to her. Wait until she falls asleep in your lap. You will sit there very still so not to disturb her. You all are doomed from that moment on.

Feral Cats

We've been having trouble with several of them.
The count is up to 3 regulars and I did see a new one last night.
They've been walking on the back yard fence line.

Last week our dog Lil' Sky was actually attacked by one. She must have cornered it by the looks of the injuries. We think she was protecting Butters.

We've tried making loud noises to scare them off.
Throwing rocks at the fence. These cats are fearless. Nothing has been working.

Were going to have a small fence built right outside the patio door.
Sky and Butters can live with 30'x10'ft area. That shouldn't have to be.

It's a shame that we as dog owners have to be regulated to have our pets under control.But cat owners don't. I get cats will be cats.But when they jump that fence and attack my much smaller dog they've now got a Badger problem. Me!

Any ideas of what else can be done to get them to go away?
I'm thinking Animal control. Trap them.

We can't afford any more vet bills.
Butter's leg cost $7.000.00. And were not done yet.

Munky.

UGH Munky, I feel your pain. I had a horrible problem with cats invading my yard and attacking my cat when he was in his own yard minding his own business. :glare: I don't think they were feral, I'm pretty sure they were just neighborhood cats being bullies. I won't say the thoughts I had, but they weren't pretty. :devilish: The only reason they don't come around anymore is because my kitty grew old and I had to have him put down last year. :(

It's expensive and a pain in the rear, but I think I would try trapping them and calling Animal control to come pick them up, and do with them whatever they do. When they are coming on to your property and threatening your pets, all bets are off IMO. Hugs to you. :wub:

UGH Munky, I feel your pain. I had a horrible problem with cats invading my yard and attacking my cat when he was in his own yard minding his own business. :glare: I don't think they were feral, I'm pretty sure they were just neighborhood cats being bullies. I won't say the thoughts I had, but they weren't pretty. :devilish: The only reason they don't come around anymore is because my kitty grew old and I had to have him put down last year. :(

It's expensive and a pain in the rear, but I think I would try trapping them and calling Animal control to come pick them up, and do with them whatever they do. When they are coming on to your property and threatening your pets, all bets are off IMO. Hugs to you. :wub:

It is expensive. We drained the credit card for Butters.
He was only 13 weeks old, weighing 2 lbs when the accident happened.
Sky only weighs 5lbs. People say were crazy for going into hock over a dog especially a Chihuahua. I say it's easy to make comments like that. Until it becomes your dog. Butters is a mini Goldie he fits in my purse.:)

My sister calls me up and asks "So, hows Pricey?" Really!??
Oh, shut up!:LOL::ROFLMAO:
We've bought pet insurance for both.I have a feeling animal control won't be much help.But that fence will. The dogs will just have to wait until someone is with them to use the rest of the yard to run wild.

Munky.

Cheryl,

Animal Control agrees with you. All bets are off.

Lil' Sky was attacked again the night before last on the patio watching over Butters.

This time we saw it happen and which cat did the deed. It was the new one. Sky is fine.

They also told me that when cats behave like that they are feral.They run in pacts. Building a fence to them wasn't a good idea.The cats will jump it and our dogs would be trapped.

They will be out Monday to bring me a few cages.
The cats will be re homed.

Trust me I can't wait. It's been stressful around here not knowing where one is lurking around ready to pounce.

Munky.

My cat, who's not my cat, turned up about 3 years ago. Lives under my decking at the back door, appears around 7 at night at the French doors, I then feed him. Won't come inside and that suits the wife, she's not big on animals.

Russ

@whoever it was who doesn't believe the woman was told by her vet to flush a hamster - I believe there are vets who would say such things. Things I have been told by vets:

"There is nothing wrong with your dog's hip. She's just old." The dog had a plate in her hip that had become totally detached from the hip joint over a period of about 15 years. She had screws floating loose and the leg bone was not connected to anything at all. THREE VETS in a row declined to x-ray her. When I found one who would, he wanted to put her down immediately because she "couldn't possibly be mobile" - except she was walking up and down stairs that way. Plus, she was standing there LOOKING AT HIM while he showed me the x-rays. Obviously I stopped letting her walk up and down stairs any more, but she was by now too old to be likely to survive the needed surgery so she lived that way another 2 or 3 years. She let me know when it was time. She was 18 or 19 at the end.

I had a sick bird. I was told by a vet to "put it down humanely" by stuffing her into a sock and smacking her into a wall.

I rescued a dog. The first vet I went to said he had distemper (I now know he wasn't showing any of the signs of distemper except having diarrhea, which is not the ONLY thing that goes wrong due to distemper by a long shot) and this vet was just going to put him down - WITHOUT TELLING ME. I saw the pink stuff in the huge hypodermic and literally knocked it out of his hand because he didn't stop when I told him to. He was just going to kill that dog without even asking me, and doubtless then planned to charge me for it. The guy had the colossal gall to argue with me about it. Took it to a DIFFERENT vet who treated him (he survived and I rehomed him - he DID NOT HAVE distemper at all).

Doggy with the bad leg above? When she was a puppy she got out of the yard during her first heat while I was at work and a neighbor (this was witnessed by a coworker) ran his car up over the curb to run her over on purpose. This is how her hip was broken. First vet I took her to (had been my go-to vet up to this point) wanted to put her down because she was a mutt and not worth HIS TIME. Nothing about MY MONEY, she wasn't worth HIS TIME. Took her to another vet obviously.

There's a vet locally here who tries to terrify his customers into putting out for heart worm meds that ARE NOT NEEDED. There is NO reservoir of heartworm here, this is a freakin' desert and there are no mosquitoes to harbor the disease. Anything for a buck.

People are sometimes jerks.

Vets are people.

Vets are sometimes jerks.

So these two senior ladies came to live with us yesterday. Both are pure bred Goldens with bad haircuts. Chloe is 8. Sandy is about 13-14. Their 90-year-old owner passed in his sleep recently and they were surrendered to local Golden rescue. We have been without a dog since our Irish Wolfhound, Virginia, passed two years ago. These two are Mary Poppins dogs. Practically Perfect in every way.

Attachments

• A8D8CED7-C8B6-4188-B7EA-1C9D4D9212B9.jpg
    A8D8CED7-C8B6-4188-B7EA-1C9D4D9212B9.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 76
  • B78D599D-F343-4451-AEE2-85DC57951D04.jpg
    B78D599D-F343-4451-AEE2-85DC57951D04.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 72
  • B04995F3-07DB-4ACE-864D-1C9174EDBDD6.jpg
    B04995F3-07DB-4ACE-864D-1C9174EDBDD6.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 7CB0902B-9637-4CB9-B46A-8AB91D392A51.jpg
    7CB0902B-9637-4CB9-B46A-8AB91D392A51.jpg