Pecan pie without pecans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:)Just had a thought what if you made pie without pecans and added butter pecan extract instead or made a mousse with the extract

I was thinking extract too. How about roasting the pecans first, then put them in a FP or blender and sprinkle on top?

Maybe, just maybe...

What if you just did the pie filling and bake it in little muffin tins or souflee cups. Then top it with the kind of crumbly topping you get on some muffins, i can't think of what that crumbly topping is, but but soften after having baked it separately, soften it adding bit by bit some warm melted butter and mashing the melted butter into it with a fork. (I see that a lot better in my minds eye than how badly I am concerned that I was able to communicate it, but hopefully you get the message. :angel:)

Wow, you all are coming up with some really good ideas. Thank you so much. That is the one thing he was going to miss. I hope I can make him happy with this. He misses so many things and I thought, this has to give sometime!!

Thanks Dave, I will look into that!

Paul Prudhomme has a roasted pecan butter pecan pie. You roast 1/2 cup of
pecans until dark and process in the food processor until you get a relatively
smooth butter, about 2-3 minutes. Then add that in with the ingredients:
3 lrg eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup dark corn syrup
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
Beat the eggs a little and add the rest of the ingredients including
the pecan butter. He also calls for a cup of unroasted pecans but
you could probably skip them and just cook the filling in a pie shell.
You will still get the pecan flavor. This recipe was in his cookbook,
The Prudhomme Family Cookbook.

I'm having a hard time deciding on what to do now. LOL
I can't believe everyone came up with so many things. I thought this would be hard.
But, I should have known you guys would come to the rescue!! Thank you so much!!

I know you wanted to surprise your husband but I think just knowing the amount of effort you have already gone to in order to give him a treat will please him immensely. So why don't you put it to him and then you can make whichever grabs his fancy?

Otherwise, stick the ideas into a hat and do a lucky dip. You'll either do the first one that comes out, or you'll keep on discarding until you get to the one that you really want to do but just haven't admitted it yet!!LOL

Pin the tail on the (recipe) donkey??

Dartboard?

Pick a number between 2 and 24 without looking at the thread and whatever number you select is the method. If there was no suggestion in the thread take the next post where there is one.

Ask someone else!

I ended up making the recipe that bandonjan posted. The pecan butter was wonderful in it!! I made and added more than 1/2 cup though. LOL It was really good too.
I also made him pumpkin pie without the crust. He's in HEAVEN!!!! Thank you everyone. He had a great Thanksgiving dinner and actually didn't choke on anything at all. Had leftovers tonight too!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom