Recipe Storage Conundrum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncage1974

Senior Cook
I'm in a little bit of a conundrum here. For the longest time i have stored my recipes in MasterCook 9. I remember when i first installed Windows 7 (maybe vista) having issues. Then windows 7 came out with some type of compatability update which fixed the problem. Well its not working again. Apparently some recent update to Windows 7 has broke it.

So here i am thinking what i should do. Mastercook 11 is finally available that is supposed to fix a variety of the problems but reading amazon reviews a lot of people are less than impressed and i don't know to be stuck like this again when Windows 8,9,ect... comes out. When a company that owns the software is named "valuesoft" i don't have to much trust in it. It took them forever to go from 9-->11 to make it work correctly with vista/7.

I looked at a variety of the other popular recipe database programs like big oven, accuchef, livingcookbook. I will be honest with you. Whoever is developing these programs SERIOUSLY needs a UI (user interface) designer because all these programs look like there were designed in Visual Basic 3 back in the 80s. Also, i don't want to be in the same situation i am now....i update my software on my PC and it will no longer work because the recipe software i'm using is no longer being updated and they are using some proprietary file format and essentially all my recipes are locked up.

Here are my choice i think:
1. I'm a software developer. I'm been toying with developing my own Recipe Database. To be honest this isn't a trivial task (if you want it to be descent). Its going to take me a lot of time & energy to develop my app...but its definitely something i could do. The big advantage would be i would be using a industry standard database that if something happened i could easily pull the data out of.

2. Recipe Website: Good examples would be allrecipes/food.com(recipezaar) and other such websites. The big disadvantage of using a website would be i know longer own my data. Something happens to the website or something like that all my recipes would be lost. I just don't like the thought of not owning my own data. Maybe if that had a good export feature that would export all you recipes to say MS word then i would feel safer.

3. Use MS Word, OneNote, Excel...or something similar.
Something like word would definitely have its advantages. One of the big advantages would be formatting. The recipe would look nice with all the original formatting from wherever you found it. Also entering recipes is a snap because you can just copy/paste in a lot of cases.
The disadvantage would be in organization and searching. You could definitely search your recipes but its not going to nearly as precise as a recipe program. You don't have nearly as much flexability with stuff like tagging, favorites, categories, ratings, ect... Also you can have some organization by just putting recipes in folders & subfolders but a recipe database would be better on that end.

What do you guys/gals think?

Is there any open source recipe software? Maybe even free? I would be surprised if there wasn't.

Then you could tweak it, or at the very least get your data if the development stops.

I save mine as an .RTF file (Word Pad Rich Text Format) since it's a format that everything can read, and I save my recipes into a recipe folder.

This week I had to have my hard drive reformatted (Ahrrrrgggg!!!!!! :doh::evil::cry:) but I also had my recipes folder saved onto a backup drive so I didn't lose any of them - unlike some other data and photos!!! :angry::censored::furious:

Save your recipes on your computer - BUT duplicate them on some other media! :mad:

Is there any open source recipe software? Maybe even free? I would be surprised if there wasn't.

Then you could tweak it, or at the very least get your data if the development stops.

I have searched some. I even found a blog by a microsoft guy saying he was investigating doing one in WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) which would be awesome located here:
Building a recipe application using Vista and .NET 3.0 (Part I: Design) - UberDemo - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

but there was no progress.

The ones i found didn't seem promosing. Mostly the design of the program was pretty bad. Also you will find a lot of open source programs that go stale just because the developers loose interest. If it was developed in what i use every day (.Net) then i'd probably be will to jump in and if i needed something fixed i would just fix it myself but most of them are developed with C++, qk, ect...(linux technologies) and considering i haven't programmed any c++ for like 12 years it wouldn't be much fun :)

I save mine as an .RTF file (Word Pad Rich Text Format) since it's a format that everything can read, and I save my recipes into a recipe folder.

This week I had to have my hard drive reformatted (Ahrrrrgggg!!!!!! :doh::evil::cry:) but I also had my recipes folder saved onto a backup drive so I didn't lose any of them - unlike some other data and photos!!! :angry::censored::furious:

Save your recipes on your computer - BUT duplicate them on some other media! :mad:

I'd recommend either dropbox or windows live mesh. You wouldn't ever have to worry about loosing something again if your hard drive crashed...its free just as long as is under 2GB for dropobox and 5GB for Live mesh. You get more free space on live mesh but i prefer dropbox.

I don't think i would be too worried about saving them in word. If word every became irrelevant which i can't ever seem happening i could just copy/paste or convert to whatever superseeds it. Not like the situation i'm in now where i have a bunch of proprietary formatted mastercook binary format files. I don't have to worry about licensing because i pretty much get anything i want for free because of my developer relations.

I use Living Cookbook and I love it! They just release a new version, but I'm still using 208, and I'm having no problems. You can download it free for 30 days. Their support has been fabulous.

It's only $35 to buy it - I don't think you can develop your own for that money.

I'd recommend either dropbox or windows live mesh. You wouldn't ever have to worry about loosing something again if your hard drive crashed...its free just as long as is under 2GB for dropobox and 5GB for Live mesh. ...

I thank you for your advice, but I don't store anything off-site. That's why I have an external backup hard drive that is larger than my computer hard drive. I just have to remember to use it on a more regular basis. Yes, I know I can set up automatic backup scheduling, but I'll get around to it one of these days... :LOL:

I thank you for your advice, but I don't store anything off-site. That's why I have an external backup hard drive that is larger than my computer hard drive. I just have to remember to use it on a more regular basis. Yes, I know I can set up automatic backup scheduling, but I'll get around to it one of these days... :LOL:
TuitLarge.jpg

Here you go Selkie your very own round tuit! :ROFLMAO::angel:

What about using the database software that's part of some Office suites? I believe it's Microsoft Office Access.

I second storing backups in the "cloud" I use google docs. You can save in just about any common format. I like being able to access my recipes from any location with internet, including my smartphone.

I second storing backups in the "cloud" I use google docs. You can save in just about any common format. I like being able to access my recipes from any location with internet, including my smartphone.

And you still have the stuff if something happens to your house.

I started using Recipe Box on my IPad. I like it a lot. Don't know if there's an app for it for PC.

I save all my recipes using MS Word. I keep them on a thumb drive (4 Gb) so that makes them portable. I keep them organized in folders. I will say that a database would likely be a better format for searchability. But this system works pretty well for me. I will have to look at some of the options mentioned here.

I organize mine with folders too. But, they are mostly text files or PDFs (I have a free PDF "printer").

It would be nice to be able to search by ingredients, tags, rating, etc.

I sometimes use the "empty the fridge" search at the Danish recipe site I frequent, but that won't help anyone who doesn't read Danish. :LOL:

Knead you. I just bought master cook 11 for my pc so I could export my recipes so I could export the to mx2 and then load them in paprika which is my favorite recipe app on my iPad. So far so good. Why the choice of recipe software on the computer is horrid I ha e no idea, but I do like having my recipes on my iPad and I can enter new ones there to. The one thing paprika is missing is nutritional information. A sad miss but not a killer miss at least for me

Robert

I use "the living Cookbook" to store all my recipe collections, 15,000 recipes. Can print you own cookbook or single recipes to prepare. 35 dollars. download or purchase disk.

Back
Top Bottom