Saturday, Aug. 26th whats on the menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bah. If we are going to war, let's do it over important things like which knife is best or which cooking oil is healthiest. ;) On second thought.....let's skip those topics. :ROFLMAO:
Yep!! Those won't work at all! :ROFLMAO:

Actually, I probably have another one - I'm going to post a new thread and wait for the explosion!

One of my wife's favorites: simmered beef shanks. It's almost like a poor man's osso buco. I take two bone-in shanks, total weight perhaps 1.7 lb; generously season them with kosher salt, pepper, and a bit of basil (both sides) and allow them to rest on the counter for about half an hour. Then I coat them with flour, brown them in hot canola oil, and transfer them into a pressure cooker with a 12 oz can of V8 and a similar amount of beef broth - and a bay leaf. I cook under pressure for 20 minutes then transfer them into a 6-quart saucepot. I add some water, inevitably, to the V8/broth and pour that over the shanks and simmer on very low heat for an hour.

Three different pans, plus a fourth for the egg noodles. But the meat is incredibly tender and delicious. This is a modification of a recipe from Better Homes and Garden's Menu cookbook from about 50 years ago; their recipe used tomato juice instead of V8 and simply simmered for 2.5 - 3 hours. It involved adding water several times, as I recall. My version is a lot faster and has less chance of burning.

One of my local stores sells boneless beef shanks, but the marrow from the bone really makes the sauce, so I don't recommend that.

Anyway, I made that for her. She'll be finishing the leftovers tomorrow. For my daughter and myself, I made "zesty hot" pork sausage with a can of nacho cheese and some long grain white rice. A small can of jalapenos, which I drained and cut up, brought some heat. So even more dishes!

Do I need GMT or est? And now its Sunday should I start a new thread??

Russ
You're being rascaly! No need for times. Write out the month abbreviated and the day, my silly friend. Yeah go ahead and start Sunday if someone else doesn't beat you there 🤣💗

Do I need GMT or est? And now its Sunday should I start a new thread??

Russ
Don't start a Sunday supper thread until it's supper time for you. If you start to make supper earlier in the day, go ahead and post that. But, please, I don't really want to hear about your breakfast in the supper thread. Maybe you didn't intend this to be a supper thread, but that's what happened. we have a thread for breakfasts and another one for lunches.

GMT or EST? no, not necessary. Don't put the time in the title of the supper thread. If you want to say what time you ate something, then it's probably best to post in your local time and you can tell us what your time zone is at the same time, if you want to. But, in case you hadn't noticed, all the posts are time stamped and the time is shown in the local time of the person posting. I'm too tired to check, but that may be based on a preference.

Last edited:
I am guessing that Russ is joking buuuuut, just in case he is serious, I think you should post in whatever time zone you want. People can post for the date that applies to them when they post. Honestly, you can post in whatever format that suits - in fact, you can use military time as well. Most Muricans here are adaptable. If you have made it, then post it. Kinda easy.
I once posted a supper thread here in YYYY-MM-DD format and someone corrected it to a different format. I was NOT PLEASED. It didn't seem very adaptable to me. I use that format for two reasons - 1) It is the official date format, here in Québec and 2) It is the only all number format that everyone* understands. There is no confusion about which is the year or the month or the day of the month.
*Everyone who can read numbers (digits, not letters) the way we write them in English.

Last edited:
Not feeling under the weather today, just kinda blah. No inspiration for supper, so we had hot dogs with sauerkraut, sliced pickles, and yellow mustard for DH and seedy Dijon for me. I also baked a couple of onions. Meh, they weren't as good as the ones that roast in a tray bake, where they get a bit of other flavours added from the other stuff on the tray.

Thai yellow chicken curry was my meal saturday
Favo madras curry.jpg

I totally agree Kathleen! But I do recall several years ago, it became a bit of a war zone about when it was "okay" to post "today's" meal. I have often wanted to post but didn't feel it would be acceptable.
I think it was more that the same person was starting the thread every day because her dinner time was before some of us even got up for the day. Apparently, if I remember correctly, someone or someones complained to PF because they wanted a chance to start the thread sometimes.

Re:- dates. If you post with military dates then be sure to use the full year.. such as 2023 and not just 23. Helps to avoid confusion.
Unless, of course, it is 23.08.23 :whistling
What are military dates? I have heard of military time (That's just 24h time without a separator between the hours and the minutes.) But, honestly, posting the full, four digit year never hurts and is usually helpful. Think of the future archaeologists and historians. Do you realize the number of ordinary things they don't know? That's because no one was writing what it was. "Everyone knows that." E.g., at one time every formal table had a set of three cruets. One for oil, one for vinegar, and no one today knows what went in the third cruet. That was one of those "everyone knows" things. Well, some time in the future, not everyone will know what century you are referring to if you only write a two digit year.

Quebec uses military dates, year, month, day. It's not a Quebec invention - ;) :flowers:
Today is 2023.08.28
Except in the US. the US military has posted dates as MM/DD/YY for decades or longer. My father was a USAF colonel who flew planes in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam and all of his military documents show that format.

Quebec uses military dates, year, month, day. It's not a Quebec invention - ;) :flowers:
Today is 2023.08.28
Yes, I know Québec did not invent the format. It's the ISO
-8601 international standard for dates. It can include the time in the 24 hour format using colons as separators. If it is just the date portion, separators are not required, but if there are any separators, only hyphens are allowed.

I think you may have gotten confused with military time because 24 hour time is part of the ISO date standard. BTW, the standard for military time is somewhat different from regular 24 hour time. There are no separators in military time, while normal 24 hour time uses a colon as a separator. I believe it is only ordinary to use the term "military time" as a synonym for 24 hour time format in the US.

LOL - here's a post I wrote in response to Jusa's yesterday... I've found it just now!
But now to comment taxy, on your last response - what are you tlking about in separators? If I say the date is 23.08.29 you won't understand it? but if say 23/08/29 you will.

That's weird, I've found 2 sites that say US Military dates are YY/MM/DD and then 2 sites that say the MM/DD/YY.
I'll take Jusa's documents as the correct one!
So Canada's are YY/MM/DD.
and from wiki - it is the rest of the world that does DD/MM/YY.

LOL - here's a post I wrote in response to Jusa's yesterday... I've found it just now!
But now to comment taxy, on your last response - what are you tlking about in separators? If I say the date is 23.08.29 you won't understand it? but if say 23/08/29 you will.

That's weird, I've found 2 sites that say US Military dates are YY/MM/DD and then 2 sites that say the MM/DD/YY.
I'll take Jusa's documents as the correct one!
So Canada's are YY/MM/DD.
and from wiki - it is the rest of the world that does DD/MM/YY.
What I wrote about separators is what the ISO-8601 standard says. It says that if there are any separators, they must be hyphens. They don't conform to the standard if they are periods or / or anything else. I have no issue understanding 20230829 or 2023-08-09. I don't know for sure what you mean by 23.08.29 or 23/08/29. I will probably figure it out from context. But, if there is no context either one of those could be the 23rd day of August in the year 29 (and that could be any century) or they could mean the 29th day of August in the year 23 (and that could be any century).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom