Savory Mini Pies - Tips, Ideas and Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Parchment paper on top helps with the over browning. I buy hamburger patty paper so I don't have to cut it.

Parchment paper on top helps with the over browning. I buy hamburger patty paper so I don't have to cut it.

I remember this being a problem when everyone was purchasing their purple machine for the mother ship. When does she remove the parchment paper?:huh:

PF, have you ever tried egg roll wrappers in the pie maker? Seems like they might do okay but that's not something I usually get. Normally you see egg rolls deep fried so not sure how they would come out. As far as the hamburger patty paper, does the top crust still get browned with the paper on top? or do you cut out the center and just cover the edges?

Yes, Egg Roll wrappers are good crusts for lighter pies. I like to use them as toppers for Asian type fillings, I make a really good chicken chow mein pie. Eggroll wrapper bottom, rice, chow mein and a top egg roll wrapper. I also used them for making baked ravioli pies.

I just lay the paper over the top, I don't worry about cutting it out. The Pies can cook a bit longer without the whole top over browning.

There's a sweet pie thread, too and the original Breville Personal Pie thread.

We have infiltrated posted all over the place.

Cooked up some minute steaks and chopped up the meat, then I put cut up red and yellow bell peppers and red onion in the pan the meat was in and cooked until just tender. Next I cut out the circles for the top and bottom crusts out of sandwich bread and buttered the outside of each piece.
In each pie I piled in meat, peppers, onion, and mozzarella cheese. They cooked about seven minutes I think. You could use whatever you have on hand. I am sure you could use any bell peppers, and some would say you should use cheese wiz or some other kind of cheese, but like I said I used what I had in the house.

Yum, thanks for sharing Fiona :)

These were made with leftover taco fixings.
Can use tortillas for crust or Pie crust.
in bottom crust layer in:
taco meat seasoned already
then taco sauce
spoon of refried beans
put in chopped onions
put in chopped black olives
added fiesta cheese
top crust
(they were full too)
baked 8 min for tortilla crust and 10 min pastry crust

This one sounds right up my alley :)

8 ounces spinach, wilted in bacon grease and drained
¼ pound of bacon cooked and crumbled
4 eggs whisked with 1/2 cup half & half, sea salt and fresh ground pepper and a grind of nutmeg
4 ounces Swiss cheese, grated

Lined the bottom cups on the preheated pie maker with puff pastry. 2 ounces of spinach in each, topped with grated Swiss (about 1 ounce each), ladle in the egg mixture and baked until set with the lid down, about ten minutes, top with the bacon crumbles 10 minutes in.

YUMMY...thank you Fiona :yum:

Now according to the recipe title, some of these are by other people. I'm just the sucker they got to make savory and sweet pie threads after culling them out of the original thread.

The taco pies I believe were made by Chef Munky's boys.

No she's not--she's landing on Swiss Chard tarts here in Ontario tomorrow. I'll share my pics if you'll share yours! Remind me, do I have to put parchment paper in the bottom?

No she's not--she's landing on Swiss Chard tarts here in Ontario tomorrow. I'll share my pics if you'll share yours! Remind me, do I have to put parchment paper in the bottom?

You don't have to. I like it for handles to pull them out but a couple strips of foil can do for tarts. They are a bit heavier and don't have a top to stabilize them. 2 -3 inch wide strips folded in half lengthwise and crossed on the bottom makes good handles. And you can reuse them.:)

Thanks. This is my first run at using the pie maker I got in February. I am using the recipe I used last weekend for the Swiss Chard tart. What about adding the bacon--do I add that to the top during the last 5 minutes of baking?

The bacon is cooked. Gosh, this is just like calling my mom for cooking advice (only, that is not s/thing I did very often...she wasn't a very good cook...but I would call for family recipes if I couldn't find my copy).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom