Seasonings to pair with rosemary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Forgot to add that I use fresh rosemary because it grows all over my property.

The herb I most often use with fresh rosemary is fresh thyme. I also grow both of them year around in my garden.

If you are going to Scarborough Fair, add some parsley and sage. ;)

CD

The herb I most often use with fresh rosemary is fresh thyme. I also grow both of them year around in my garden.

If you are going to Scarborough Fair, add some parsley and sage. ;)

CD
While "parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme" are very good with chicken, they are all mints except for the parsley.

I have never used this with chicken, but it works well with pork. Make a paste of fresh rosemary, garlic, salt, and sun dried tomato. Mash it all together in a mortar and pestle to make a coarse paste. Smear it on the chicken before roasting it. The sun dried tomato is optional, but helps with consistency.
Sun dried tomato sounds really interesting, because it's sweet, and we're used to having tomato with basil, which is another member of the mint family…

While "parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme" are very good with chicken, they are all mints except for the parsley.

Hmmmm, the only thing I know of that is a good substitute for thyme is oregano, and that's out, too.

Parsley tastes like green, leafy nothingness to me.

Rosemary by itself is good on roasted chicken, and roasted potatoes, IMO.

CD

I usually just use powdered versions, I coat all the pieces of chicken, adding salt and pepper too, place them on baking paper in an oven dish, without any oil because a lot of fat will ooze out of the chicken itself. If I add potatoes (pre-boiled) half way through the cooking time, then I add a little oil only on the potatoes. When it's almost ready, I cover with tin foil to keep it moist. It depends on your oven, this dish takes me about an hour and a half.
Do you use roughly the same amount of each seasoning?

Hmmmm, the only thing I know of that is a good substitute for thyme is oregano, and that's out, too.

Parsley tastes like green, leafy nothingness to me.

Rosemary by itself is good on roasted chicken, and roasted potatoes, IMO.

CD
What do you think about other members of the parsley family, such as caraway, cilantro, coriander, cumin, dill, or fennel? Do you think any of those would be good with rosemary?

What do you think about other members of the parsley family, such as caraway, cilantro, coriander, cumin, dill, or fennel? Do you think any of those would be good with rosemary?

I have the "cilantro tastes like soap" gene. I can use it in salsas -- perhaps the acid in the salsas do something to the aldehyde chemicals in cilantro. Coriander seeds don't have those chemicals, so they are fine. I am okay with cumin, but in VERY small amounts. That stuff is potent. I don't care for caraway, but that's not a genetic thing, as far as I know. It's just a personal taste thing.

So, I don't know if any or all of those things would go well with rosemary. I don't think I have tried any of them with rosemary. Perhaps someone else here has, and can chime in.

CD

I like mustard and rosemary ;)
(With garlic & chili).

If I would be allergic to that family, I would probably go piripiri chicken or Indian, Chinese or SE Asian spices

I like mustard and rosemary ;)
(With garlic & chili).

If I would be allergic to that family, I would probably go piripiri chicken or Indian, Chinese or SE Asian spices
Mustard sounds really interesting! Is that chili powder or peppers with it?

Flavours are definitely the same but to my way of thinking are used quite differently. But that's a later decision, lol.

You could just lay the rosemary sprig on top of your pieces and bake (or fry) them. Some even just swish the sprigs thru the hot oil and baste with the scented oil.

I've never done that but it is an option. I believe the theory is, you get just a hint of it and could also be a mind over matter thing where your sense of smell enhances the small amount of flavour actually imbued.

Flavours are definitely the same but to my way of thinking are used quite differently. But that's a later decision, lol.

You could just lay the rosemary sprig on top of your pieces and bake (or fry) them. Some even just swish the sprigs thru the hot oil and baste with the scented oil.

I've never done that but it is an option. I believe the theory is, you get just a hint of it and could also be a mind over matter thing where your sense of smell enhances the small amount of flavour actually imbued.
The thought of how my kitchen would stink from baking whole sprigs of rosemary is making me woozy, lol! It's a moot point, though; I don't want my chicken to just taste of rosemary, or to have so little rosemary flavor that I might as well not have bothered, either… that would feel too much like lying when my friend asks if I used her rosemary yet.

It's astonishing that no one in the whole world seems to have any recipes with rosemary mixed with other seasonings… the more I research, the less I find!

I use rosemary, thyme, sage, and parsley for chicken and turkey.

I think most other herbs that almost always go with rosemary are in the mint family. You know, the family that roasts together stays together.

The ones not and other suggestions have about reached their limit. Of course, there will always be the last minute herbs skidding in for a touchdown.

Most of the recipes I see with another herb with rosemary, have sage. And always with garlic, of course!
I've seen a lot of recipes with rosemary and sage as well; for whatever reason, rosemary seems to only get paired with other members of the mint family… and then parsley. (And American recipes have garlic in pretty much everything.)

Lol, I wrote this hours ago and forgot to hit the post button! 😁

Rosemary is pretty strong and it can overpower other herbs,so I like to combine it with other types of seasonings. I make a dressing/sauce for sandwiches and salads with olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon-style mustard, garlic, rosemary and S&P; use less olive oil and it's a sauce. Add olive oil to make it more liquid and it's a dressing. You can use this as a rub on chicken and bake it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom