Seasonings to pair with rosemary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The thought of how my kitchen would stink from baking whole sprigs of rosemary is making me woozy, lol!
Stink from rosemary? 😲 I can't get over seeing those two words together 😔

It's astonishing that no one in the whole world seems to have any recipes with rosemary mixed with other seasonings… the more I research, the less I find!
You seem to think the only other seasonings available are other herbs. Broaden your horizons. Onions, shallots, garlic, olives, capers, olive oil, white or red wine vinegar, etc.

Lol, I wrote this hours ago and forgot to hit the post button! 😁

Rosemary is pretty strong and it can overpower other herbs,so I like to combine it with other types of seasonings. I make a dressing/sauce for sandwiches and salads with olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon-style mustard, garlic, rosemary and S&P; use less olive oil and it's a sauce. Add olive oil to make it more liquid and it's a dressing. You can use this as a rub on chicken and bake it.
That's a 2nd vote for mustard! Another member of the mustard family is horseradish, and that makes me think, that maybe with beef…

Stink from rosemary? 😲 I can't get over seeing those two words together 😔

You seem to think the only other seasonings available are other herbs. Broaden your horizons. Onions, shallots, garlic, olives, capers, olive oil, white or red wine vinegar, etc.
On the contrary, I've already considered every flavoring agent I own. Like most Americans, I'm already putting garlic and onion in every recipe. Everything else you mentioned, I either don't like in general, or don't like on chicken. It's a moot point, though, because I'm not trying to make kitchen sink chicken, in other words chicken with everything thrown on it but the kitchen sink, I'm trying to make chicken with rosemary blended with other seasonings.

Every cell in my body recoils from the smell of rosemary; basil was the same way for me until recently. I also can't stand the smell of coffee, so go figure.

You don’t need a recipe. Just use them.
Call me crazy, but I don't want to take 2 ingredients that I'm barely familiar with, and just throw them at random on chicken, lol! The chance of producing anything good that way is basically zero. Have you actually MADE chicken with rosemary and tarragon?

That's a 2nd vote for mustard! Another member of the mustard family is horseradish, and that makes me think, that maybe with beef…
Rosemary is great with beef. And that reminds me of this. I'd use about a six-inch length of rosemary as a "sprig." : https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes...t-roast-with-porcini-mushrooms-recipe-1922380
On the contrary, I've already considered every flavoring agent I own. Like most Americans, I'm already putting garlic and onion in every recipe. Everything else you mentioned, I either don't like in general, or don't like on chicken. It's a moot point, though, because I'm not trying to make kitchen sink chicken, in other words chicken with everything thrown on it but the kitchen sink, I'm trying to make chicken with rosemary blended with other seasonings.
I wasn't suggesting you use them all at once. I was giving you options.

Every cell in my body recoils from the smell of rosemary; basil was the same way for me until recently. I also can't stand the smell of coffee, so go figure.
That's too bad because aroma is a huge part of how we perceive flavor. If you can't stand the smell of rosemary, I'm not sure how you're going to find a way to cook with it that you will enjoy.

Last edited:
I've never used that one before, what does it taste like? Do you have any recipes with chervil and rosemary?
This is a good site for learning about ingredients: https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-is-chervil-995610
Chervil Taste and Flavor
Chervil takes like a delicate cross between tarragon and parsley. Chervil has a mild flavor with hints of licorice or anise, but without those flavors coming through strongly. If you don't have chervil and a recipe calls for it, a fine substitute would be fresh parsley or tarragon or a combination of the two. Chives or dill might also take the place of chervil for egg dishes, but will have their own flavors.

Do you use roughly the same amount of each seasoning?
I use 3 parts herb/spice to 2 parts salt and 1/2 part pepper.

Example: 1 teaspoon each of chopped fresh rosemary (1/2 tsp dried because drying makes woody herbs stronger), chives and garlic (or paprika, dried mustard or Dijon-style mustard), 2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp ground black pepper. Combine in a small bowl and add 1-2 tbsp olive oil. Brush or rub on the chicken, getting some under the skin, and bake.

Call me crazy, but I don't want to take 2 ingredients that I'm barely familiar with, and just throw them at random on chicken, lol! The chance of producing anything good that way is basically zero. Have you actually MADE chicken with rosemary and tarragon?
Jennyema is a professional chef. Even if she hasn't, an experienced cook knows which ingredients pair well.

Research shows that, at least on chicken, which is what I'm trying to season, if there's rosemary, it will have salt, pepper, and garlic, and then citrus juice or wine instead of more seasonings. I'm sure that works fine for most people, but I'm a little sensitive to all the members of the mint family, so I need other herbs and spices to support, and dilute, the rosemary. Because of that sensitivity, the additional seasonings need to NOT be other members of the mint family:

Mint family:
Thyme, marjoram, oregano, basil, sage, rosemary, savory, summer savory, lemon balm… and of course mint!

After searching a million recipes, the only thing I've found so far to add to rosemary is parsley. Do any of you have any other seasonings outside of the mint family that you've personally verified work well with rosemary on chicken, or on other mild-tasting foods like turkey or potatoes? That would be a big help, thank you!
If you are sensitive to rosemary, why use it? Why not find another recipe that doesn't have it?
Tarragon is not part of the mint family. One of my favourites.

Which other things are you NOT sensitive to?
Does tarragon pair well with rosemary? I have never used the two together. But I don't really care for rosemary. Too woody and reminds me of pine needles in both texture and flavor. I love tarragon, though.

Why don't you just be honest with your friend and tell her that you don't care for rosemary? There is no reason to make yourself suffer. Rosemary is strong-flavored. I personally don't like it. At all. And I would not have a problem telling someone kindly, "Oh how wonderful of you to share. I am so sorry, but I am sensitive to rosemary and can't use it. Thank you so much for being so thoughtful though!"

interesting question . . . .
what to add to rosemary to make it disappear . . .

a simple stupid answer:
DO NOT ADD THE ROSEMARY

Flavours are definitely the same but to my way of thinking are used quite differently. But that's a later decision, lol.

You could just lay the rosemary sprig on top of your pieces and bake (or fry) them. Some even just swish the sprigs thru the hot oil and baste with the scented oil.

I've never done that but it is an option. I believe the theory is, you get just a hint of it and could also be a mind over matter thing where your sense of smell enhances the small amount of flavour actually imbued.

I often use rosemary the way one would use bay leaf. I put whole sprigs in braising liquids for slow cooks, and remove the sprigs after the cook. It does a great job of adding flavor, without chomping down on rosemary, which can be rather tough. I do the same with thyme. I like to take fresh sprigs of both, tie them in a bundle, and braise with them. The bundle is very easy to remove at the end of the long cook. Some thyme leaves fall off, but the stems are removed with the bundle.

CD

If I don't care for something, you won't find it in my kitchen.

Rosemary is one of those herbs that, for me at least, has an intoxicating aroma. When out in the garden, I frequently run my hands through them, and just hold them up to my nose and inhale slowly - same thing with basil, and another one that I break off a leaf from, and crack it, to get the aroma out of is the makrut/kaffir lime tree. That's not one I would run my hands through the branches, due to those thorns! :LOL: Other herbs I like, but those three are the only 3 that I do this with, to get the aromas from, out of the 17 or so fresh herbs I have growing every year.

Every cell in my body recoils from the smell of rosemary...

I'm wondering why you are going to all of this effort to use rosemary if you hate it so much. Are you just trying to please your friend who gave you some? If one of my friends offered me cilantro from their garden, I would just be honest and say, "Thanks for the kind offer, but I don't like cilantro."

As for "everything but the sink" chicken, to each his own. I like the complex flavors of coq au vin (blanc), and also like basic chicken thighs cooked on the grill with nothing but salt and pepper. Variety is the spice of life (William Cowper--1785).

CD

I frequently run my hands through them, and just hold them up to my nose and inhale slowly...

Ah, the only thing I don't like about handling fresh rosemary from my garden is that it leaves a sticky residue on my fingers, and it is not easy to wash off with basic soap and water. I use nitrile gloves when I handle fresh rosemary.

Anyone else notice that sticky residue?

CD

I'm wondering why you are going to all this effort to use rosemary if you hate it so much.

CD
I was wondering the same thing, then I thought about epazote! That is a very strong smelling herb, that is used a lot in Mexican cooking for its alleged antiflatulence effects, in bean dishes. The aroma most people do not like (sort of like kerosene mixed in with something), but the owner of the Mexican market, that I give my excess trimmings to, loves the aroma of that stuff, like I do rosemary and those other herbs. I have found many recipes with the epazote, that it is an essential flavor in. Curry leaves are another herb, with a "strange" flavor, but delicious in the final dishes. If I didn't like the results in the final dishes, I wouldn't use them, simple as that.

As for that oily residue on the rosemary, that's normal, as with any kind of evergreen, with needles like that. That's where the flavor is - the newer growth, with less of the oiliness, won't be as strong as that darker, more oily growth. That's the stuff I get on my hands on purpose, for the aroma!
Ah, the only thing I don't like about handling fresh rosemary from my garden is that it leaves a sticky residue on my fingers, and it is not easy to wash off with basic soap and water. I use nitrile gloves when I handle fresh rosemary.

Anyone else notice that sticky residue?

CD

Last edited:
I often use rosemary the way one would use bay leaf. I put whole sprigs in braising liquids for slow cooks, and remove the sprigs after the cook. It does a great job of adding flavor, without chomping down on rosemary, which can be rather tough. I do the same with thyme. I like to take fresh sprigs of both, tie them in a bundle, and braise with them. The bundle is very easy to remove at the end of the long cook. Some thyme leaves fall off, but the stems are removed with the bundle.

CD
1 do this, too. It's a very effective technique.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom