Soft-boiled Eggs In Microwave?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Pirate is spending the night with me. I can't wait until morning so I can show him my new trick for poached eggs in a cup. Only I will have to do it in a bowl. He will want two eggs on toast instead of just one. And I want to make them at the same time like I do when making them on a stove. I would have to read back to see who posted this neat little trick. But whoever it was a big :flowers: :flowers: THANK YOU! :angel:

The Pirate is spending the night with me. I can't wait until morning so I can show him my new trick for poached eggs in a cup. Only I will have to do it in a bowl. He will want two eggs on toast instead of just one. And I want to make them at the same time like I do when making them on a stove. I would have to read back to see who posted this neat little trick. But whoever it was a big :flowers: :flowers: THANK YOU! :angel:

When you find it please re post it. Sounds good.

I'm glad I asked y'all this. Seems like it helped some folks and not just me.

I'm at my roommate Tyler's house this weekend, and I made them soft-boiled eggs and toast according to the video and it was awesome! I fried up some sausage links and made a fruit cup out of pears, bananas, and grapes.

Cat gave me the idea about the fruit. Thanks, y'all.

Carl

I tried this method today and I'm a convert.

It took me slightly longer than the video indicated, I let the water in my two cup Pyrex measuring cup come to a boil in the microwave, added two eggs, nuked them for a minute and then let them rest in the hot water for a minute or two while I made toast. Each egg remained separate and was perfectly poached.

I think this would work well if you have a houseful of people who drift into the kitchen at odd times wondering what's for breakfast.

I'm almost 60 and I'm finally learning to cook! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I ended up doing three eggs for The Pirate. He was a hungry boy! I used a shallow bowl and the eggs all cooked separate even though in the bowl together. I will never make poached eggs in a pan again. I could do a whole bunch of these poached eggs for a crowd. I have a rather large micro and an 8x8 easily fits in it with room to spare. Move over cup of cold coffee. I have found a new use for the micro. :angel:

Last edited:
I ended up doing three eggs for The Pirate. He was a hungry boy! I used a shallow bowl and the eggs all cooked separate even though in the bowl together. I will never make poached eggs in a pan again. I could do a whole bunch of these poached eggs for a crowd. I have a rather large micro and an 8x8 easily fits in it with room to spare. Move over cup of cold coffee. I have found a new use for the micro. :angel:

Yes! This really does work very well!

Isn't it interesting that a simple question about a simple food, the egg, can change how we fix these?

Thank you, SLoB. This is exactly what I love about this website!

With love,
~Cat

I just tried this. Now I am often leary of cooking shortcuts because I find that they seldom come up to the quality of longer tried and true methods. But this is now my new method for cooking soft boiled eggs. I heated my water in a coffee cup for 1 1/2 minutes and cracked an egg into it. Then nuked it for one minute. It was a little tight so next time I will nuke it for only 45 seconds after adding the egg. But I have to say it was delicious and it was much prettier than the soft boiled eggs or even the poached eggs that I normally make. I'm convinced.

Last edited:
Oh man I just had a thought (and an original thought...imagine that!). It's going to take a little experimenting but I'll bet you could do huevos rancheros this way. Now I "gotta" try it.

Oh man I just had a thought (and an original thought...imagine that!). It's going to take a little experimenting but I'll bet you could do huevos rancheros this way. Now I "gotta" try it.

No kidding joesfolk! I can't wait to try in in the morning with a cup full of salsa and a toasted tortilla Ole..:zorro:

I have to admit complete failure. I ruined 3 eggs; none of them cooked properly or cook at all. First one after one minute was completely uncooked. The second one after 2 minutes was still uncooked. The third one exploded after 2.5 minutes but still was not cooked evenly, yolk and some part of the white were cooked but some parts of the white were still runny. Those of you, who have succeeded. Please explain/tell me, please, what you did exactly. Step by step. Starting with the temperature of the egg and so on. Thank you in advance.

Charlie, with so many folks having such great results the logical conclusion is something is wrong with your microwave. Have you had trouble with other food in it?
Is your dish rotating inside? If you have one without a turn table, maybe that's the problem.

I have to admit complete failure. I ruined 3 eggs; none of them cooked properly or cook at all. First one after one minute was completely uncooked. The second one after 2 minutes was still uncooked. The third one exploded after 2.5 minutes but still was not cooked evenly, yolk and some part of the white were cooked but some parts of the white were still runny. Those of you, who have succeeded. Please explain/tell me, please, what you did exactly. Step by step. Starting with the temperature of the egg and so on. Thank you in advance.

Charlie, to factors are important. The power level of your microwave and how much water you used. I'd go with a cup (8fl. oz.) of water for a minute. I just used tap water that wasn't hot or ice cold. Depending on the power of the microwave a minute will be too much, too little or just right. You have to adjust accordingly. Remember, this is to be soft boiled not hard.

Andy, what about the egg, was it room temperature, or was it from fridge?

I did have an 8 oz cup. Water was tap room temp.

Kayelle, I do not think there is anything wrong with my MW, works just fine with other stuff.

I used the egg right out of the refrigerator. I microwaved the cup with the egg and water for one minute and it as a little under cooked. The yolk and some of the white were soft boiled but there was uncooked white remaining. I had to run it a little longer.

59 messages, and it took to #57 message before there is any mention of microwave oven power level / setting.

sorry to be such a prig, but you folks be not all too well informed / educated / experienced about microwave ovens.

having spent way way too much time "on the road" living in extended stay / et. al. type facilities that have a kitchen consisting of a fridge, microwave and a sink - I can cook an egg poached to soft boiled to hard boiled to scrambled in any microwave of your choice given a couple days to experiment and take notes.

the "water in the cup with the egg" does one thing - it "moderates" the temperature achieved by the microwave oven. there's a setting - putting the power setting on half/ 50% does the same thing as adding a bunch of water in a cup.

if an egg "explodes" in the microwave it is simply because the water in the egg "suddenly and instantaneously" reaches the boiling point, turning to steam, steam which has a multi-thousand time volumetric existence - thus "exploding" all over the inside of the microwave.

having done more than a few eggs on the road in the microwave, I have never exploded an egg. then again, I know about the power level settings thing....

Back
Top Bottom