Spam - the kind you eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's something about Spam that demands to be loved.

I like it chunked up and fried in an omelette with American cheese and diced tomatoes with a side of hashbrowns.

I am not a SPAM fan because IIRC they have a high fat content, and because I do not want to eat processed foods, particularly those made up from ground meat. Out of all the other much more healthier foods one could spend their time eating I see no reason to add SPAM to my diet.

Have never tried it, but have heard it is popular in Hawaii. Spam wontons or fried rice with spam & pineapple are some ideas.

Yes I enjoy it very much, and its grounded version Deviled Ham. I grew up on sandwiches with deviled ham and arepas with deviled ham. Totally delicious low cost nutritious food.

Had it in different versions, but mostly as part of a sandwich.

There usd to be a song we sang as kids about Spam, but for the life of me I can't remember it. I must be having a senior moment. I can remember all the bawdy songs I learned. :ohmy:

There usd to be a song we sang as kids about Spam, but for the life of me I can't remember it. I must be having a senior moment. I can remember all the bawdy songs I learned. :ohmy:

"Spam, spam, the musical fruit. The more you eat, the more you..." .... Wait! I think that's the wrong song! :-p ;) :LOL:

(I've been reading too many BT posts!)

Last edited:

Many a son of Abraham
has eaten spam
for Uncle Sam
Hinky dinky parlay voo

I find spam to be very nasty. Our family defines it as Road kill in jelly.

I find it hard to accept the highly processed nature of Spam combined with the high fat content. I find the highly processed part to be most objectionable, and to a lesser degree the fat content. I'm not excessive in avoidance of fat, and in fact I think much of the low fat craze is wrong thinking, but Spam brings together the two elements of highly processed and high fat content in an IMO very unhealthy way.

Maybe I'll try that ham roasted Spam with cloves and brown sugar coating again some day just to see if it's still any good. There's no doubt that fat tastes good to humans.

it's only unhealthy in context of a person that eats a poor diet most or all of the time.

it's better to think that food is just food, but people can be healthy or unhealthy depending on their actions over time.

:pig:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom