Sunday Oct. 29, '23 Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
My pizzas
pizza-004.jpg

And his pizzas with extra no-cheeze sauce
pizza-003.jpg

Enough for 2-3 days.

Today I made a batch of mushroom barley soup, and some French bread, to have a piece with it, and sop it up. I had a pound of plain white mushrooms, and I soaked an ounce of boletus, while getting the rest of the ingredients prepared. I started with a large chopped onion, cooked in Instant Pot in EVOO in sauté mode, and after about 5 minutes, added about 2 tsp minced garlic, and a tb of white miso (my substitute for tomato paste), and a generous tb of minced rosemary. After cooking about a minute, I added the boletus and their soaking water, and 1/2 c purple barley, switched the sauté mode to high, and let most of it boil off. Then I added a qt of chicken broth, and 3 c water, corrected the seasonings, covered, and pressure cooked it 25 minutes, and let the pressure release naturally.

While getting this stuff done, I washed, and cut up the mushrooms, then steamed them briefly in a wok, then in just a tb of EVOO, sautéed them for about 7 min, or until the mushrooms are browning. Then I set aside. This was also when I put the bread in to bake.

I added 3/4 c red lentils to the soup, to thicken, then set the IP to slow cook - high, and it was thickened in 20 minutes. After it thickened, I added the cooked mushrooms, switched the slow cook to normal, so it was just keeping it warm, while the bread was cooling.
Some French bread, to eat with the soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Mushroom barley soup, with some red lentils added, to thicken. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

DD #2 helped me with dinner last night. Pan-fried skirt steak, and broccoli rabe (a store-bought prepared grab-n-go selection).

skirt_steak_102923_1_IMG_1887.jpg

Oops, just found this post waiting for me to hit "Post reply".

I was on my own for supper so I had eggs Benedict, sort of. Whole wheat English muffin, slices of ham (round), microwave poached eggs, and mock Hollandaise. It was pretty darned good.

One of the eggs made a bang noise in the microwave, so I went and checked. It had not exploded, but it had knocked over the measuring cup it was in and made a mess of the turntable and bottom of the MW. It wasn't onerous to clean up. The second egg did get a hole poked in the yolk. It didn't even leak out that tiny hole.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom