The Only Thread Where You Are Allowed To Shill!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jade Emperor

Sous Chef
Hello everyone!

I’m interested to hear about products and ingredients that you use that you will always go to.
I’m a very keen advocate of always fresh and always the best, but I know that we all can’t be the same, and I too buy ingredients that I am either too lazy to make, or that the bought product is better than my own. (Example: coconut cream - yeah right, I’m not going to make it myself!)
What do you appreciate as a quality brand of product that you always go to? 🫠

Progresso soups. I enjoy making soup, and make some pretty good ones, but Progresso has clam chowder (ever try to get clams in Texas?), lasagna style soup, and pot roast with country style vegetables. They have others that we love, but they have so far failed to top my minestrone!

Interesting. It’s not a brand we get in Australia, but having a look at their website, it looks like they have some very tasty soup bases.
I would love to try the chowder, as it’s not really heard of down here, but a good one is beautiful!

Speaking of coconut cream

IMG_0302.jpeg

But your experience?
It’s weird because here in Australia, OXO is an old brand of stock cubes. Any relation?

But your experience?
It’s weird because here in Australia, OXO is an old brand of stock cubes. Any relation?
I always look to OXO first. I have several OXO tools on hand.

I don't know about OXO stock cubes being the same company.

Some more of mine:
Mae Ploy for packaged curry paste
Maldon for finishing salts
KitchenAid
Kerrygold for butter
Lodge for my cast iron
Scanpan

Last edited:
But your experience?
I don't think so. I wondered about that when I first heard about the kitchen tools. The kitchen tools were designed by someone whose mother or grandmother had arthritis in her hands, so the first tools were specifically designed to be easy to use for people with arthritis in their hands. The name comes from hugs and kisses, which are often represented by O's and X's.

I didn't realize that Oxo stock cubes and liquid bouillon concentrate wasn't available in the US, or at least not common. Hmm, to the folks living in the US, what about Bovril? Do you guys get that?

I never thought about OXO tools being for arthritic users. The thick foam handles make sense for that. I just impressed they function well regardless of the handles.

I haven't gotten Bovril since back in the early 90s, the last times I made my trips to NYC, to stock up on things I couldn't find locally. The store probably isn't there any longer, and I only see "chicken" Bovril, when I looked it up in Amazon, and it's from Canada, at a price I wouldn't pay.

I have several Oxo tools which I really like. That being said, unfortunately the best feature is one that I often find most awkward - the size of the handles are sometimes too big to be comfortable.

Not to mention the space they take up in the drawers.

pepper - just looked it up on Amazon.ca - Wowser!
one shows 250 ml at $4.97 Cad ($3.64 US) which is about right
and the next one is same size and is $41.29 + 16.48 Delivery!

LOL - not even going to convert to US$ on that one!
Even with Amazon - Buyer Beware!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom