The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...And it's very contagious, so I have to be careful not to spread it around the house and infect DH. If people don't know this, they could reinfect themselves by touching their things and then their eyes and faces...
This post reminded me that my aunt had pink eye once. We avoided her! My Mom washed her sheets while wearing rubber gloves, tossed them into the washer with not just hot water from the tank (set to 160 :ohmy:) but boiling water from the kitchen AND bleach! Bleach-rinsed her dishes, too. And while we all ate in the kitchen, Auntie T was banished to the dining room. People with leprosy were probably treated better. :LOL: Whether they really work or just placebo-ly work, I hope the drops provide some comfort.

Btw, I tested negative for Covid-19 :mrgreen: I wasn't really worried about it, but it's good to know.
Himself tested negative for Covid on Tuesday, the day before his second cataract surgery. We're figuring that I'm as good as negative, too, since (in Himself's words) we both live in the same petri dish. :winkiss:

So now I have pink eye! Argh, argh and argh again!...
Just checking to make sure you can bat your eyes again and not have ickies flowing freely. Hope this is all gone.

Remember me complaining elsewhere about banging my toe so bad my toenail was all bruised looking? It's been hurting on and off like a real *#%!!* for nearly four weeks, until yesterday. Toenail? :ermm: What toenail? :LOL:

#needlessnailpolish

Himself tested negative for Covid on Tuesday, the day before his second cataract surgery. We're figuring that I'm as good as negative, too, since (in Himself's words) we both live in the same petri dish. :winkiss:

Just checking to make sure you can bat your eyes again and not have ickies flowing freely. Hope this is all gone.

Remember me complaining elsewhere about banging my toe so bad my toenail was all bruised looking? It's been hurting on and off like a real *#%!!* for nearly four weeks, until yesterday. Toenail? :ermm: What toenail? :LOL:

#needlessnailpolish

Good grief CG, that sounds creepy. Does it hurt more, less? Try not to hurt that toe again while it's healing.

Doesn't bother me at all now. Once the dead nail separated, this teeny new nail was visible. I guess it can take a year or more for a full growth. Himself is thrilled that I'm no longer complaining about my sore toe. [emoji38]

I went for the cortizone shot in my thumb. Got a cancellation call on Weds for an appointment on Thurs. normal waiting is 2 months or so. Less than 2 weeks!! I was there sitting on the door step (so to speak). Lucky me!

There was pressure but nothing like when I had the shot in my middle finger. THAT hurt! The tinier the joint the more pain. But I do have another 'trigger finger' that will need to be done... :wacko: :(

Next up is my hip, just waiting on a call. Could I possibly be lucky enough for a cancellation call? :bounce:

Asked them if they have 'loyalty' rewards, after 10 shots, do I get a freebie?

I'm now officially changing my fantasy. I no longer want my old 22 year old body, I want a new body for all my friends here on DC. And all of my children, and the grand kids. And I want us all to get together on a COVID-free tropical island, with fruits, pork, beef, seafood, fresh water fish, and a big fire pit.

And we have the boats, and other gear to do whatever kind of fishing we want to do. Oh, and there are no endangered species in this world, and no biting bugs, or smakes.

Anyone who wants to add to this fantasy is welcome. Sometimes dreaming the impossible can make reality a bit easier to bear.:)

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm now officially changing my fantasy. I no longer want my old 22 year old body, I want a new body for all my friends here on DC. And all of my children, and the grand kids. And I want us all to get together on a COVID-free tropical island, with fruits, pork, beef, seafood, fresh water fish, and a big fire pit.

And we have the boats, and other gear to do whatever kind of fishing we want to do. Oh, and there are no endangered species in this world, and no biting bugs, or smakes.

Anyone who wants to add to this fantasy is welcome. Sometimes dreaming the impossible can make reality a bit easier to bear.[emoji2]

Chief, you might want to start a new thread on that. It doesn't quite fit in this one.

Chief, you might want to start a new thread on that. It doesn't quite fit in this one.

Just wanted to take all of our minds off of our aches and pains, just for a minute. We used to have both men;s and women;s fantasy vamps herein DC. years ago. I guess I still miss Mudbug, and Buckytom who were both involved.

I
n any case, I hope everyone is feeling a bit better today.

Just wanted to take all of our minds off of our aches and pains, just for a minute. We used to have both men;s and women;s fantasy vamps herein DC. years ago. I guess I still miss Mudbug, and Buckytom who were both involved.

I
n any case, I hope everyone is feeling a bit better today.

I know, and I appreciate the thought. We have lots of other threads for that. I'll try to find links to those threads. Newer members might want to keep them going [emoji2]

Hello friends… I've missed you.:flowers:

Two days ago I came home from the hospital where I spent nearly a week, and I’m now safely on the mend at home. The final diagnosis was “Nasal Cellulites”. It is a painful skin infection that happens when bacteria enter a break in your skin, and it can become life-threatening if left untreated. I’m so thankful they finally found the magic recipe to cure it, as for a while it looked like it could have been MRSA.
(MRSA (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus). Infections range from mild to very serious, even life- threatening. MRSA is contagious and can be spread to other people through skin-to- skin contact.) Thankfully, it was not MRSA.

Anybody not interested in the gory details can stop reading now. Wink Wink.;);)

Anyway, the whole thing started on Sep. 30th when I woke up to what looked like a big pimple right on the tip of my nose. It hurt like the dickens and the next day, and it felt and looked more like a boil. On Mon. it was even worse with more eruptions that looked the same as the first. Tues and Wed. my Dr. was not in, but I sent a picture of my very painful nose to his office, and she made an appointment for me to see him the following morning on Thurs. He gave me a big bootie shot of antibiotic, along with pills.
The next day the entire lower nose, including the nostrils was under attack with the same. I was told to get myself to the ER and Souschef had to leave me at the front door because of the Covid crisis. I can’t even explain how scared I was, since I’ve taken every possible precaution to not be even remotely exposed to it. Without my SC by my side I felt soooo lost. It was time for me to be brave, and I tried to be. I really did.
I was immediately tested for covid, and it was negative.
The nightmare began when the needles started. I’m what’s known as a very “hard stick” and getting an IV line started in each arm with several attempts by three different people was hell to put it bluntly. The needle sticks for blood draws, (often every two hours) continued for the rest of my time there. The worst one was a needle stick in the big Arthritic joint of my thumb. DANG
They put me in a private (beautiful room with a view) at the end of the day to continue trying to figure this thing out. I had pain like my nose had been attacked by a swarm of honey bee stings and the pain continued. That’s the best way I can think of to describe it. I had high powered pain killers available if requested, but most of the time I gritted my teeth because of the possible Opioid addiction I’d never want to deal with.
Anyway, Back home now, SC made a spread sheet for the many oral medications to be taken for the next week or so. I have a follow up office appointment with the infectious diseases Dr. who was just one of the many Drs. who took such good care of me.

Just one more point…

I have a theory of why this may have happened, if anyone is interested.
I seldom have to wear a mask, as I hardly ever leave the house except for Dr. appointments. I would never think of going without one when is needed, as I know they save lives.
The end of Aug. I needed three day battery of tests for my heart on an out patient basis.(Good results). I wore my cloth mask on every day then.
My possible theory has not been discounted by the medical staff onboard.
There could have been a nasty bug inside my mask that infected the tip of my nose.
Nobody will ever know for sure, but I will never wear my cloth mask more than once before it has been thoroughly sanitized before it’s worn again.
I came home and added a solution of water and alcohol to a zip lock baggie, and soaked the mask for several hours, and then washed it by hand to dry. That’s something to think about. Souschef will do the same with his.
The bottom line is “being paranoid does not mean someone or something isn’t out get you”.

Huggs...Kayelle.:flowers::winkiss:

Last edited:
Wow, what an ordeal. I'm glad you're feeling better. I'm a hard stick, too, so I know what you mean [emoji847]

Another way to sanitize your masks is to roll over them with a steam iron. 212F is plenty of heat to kill viruses and bacteria.

Last edited:
Glad they caught that infection, Kayelle! I had something like that about 3 years ago - one of those superbugs you hear about, that they eventually concocted a mix of antibiotics for, that I had to give myself shots of every 8 hours, for 21 days! You know things are bad when they keep you in the hospital 8 days now - they send us home the same day of most surgeries! lol

Glad you're OK, and hope you, as well as SC, stay safe.

(((Kayelle))), I'm glad that you are getting over it. That must have been quite the ordeal, as GG wrote. I'm glad you have SC taking care of you.

Just one more point…

I seldom have to wear a mask, as I hardly ever leave the house except for Dr. appointments. I would never think of going without one when is needed, as I know they save lives.
The end of Aug. I needed three day battery of tests for my heart on an out patient basis.(Good results). I wore my cloth mask on every day then.
There could have been a nasty bug inside my mask that infected the tip of my nose.
Nobody will ever know for sure, but I will never wear my cloth mask more than once before it has been thoroughly sanitized before it’s worn again.
I came home and added a solution of water and alcohol to a zip lock baggie, and soaked the mask for several hours, and then washed it by hand to dry. That’s something to think about. Souschef will do the same with his.
The bottom line is “being paranoid does not mean someone or something isn’t out get you”.

Wow, what an ordeal. I'm glad you're feeling better. I'm a hard stick, too, so I know what you mean [emoji847]

Another way to sanitize your masks is to roll over them with a steam iron. 212F is plenty of heat to kill viruses and bacteria.

Kayelle, so glad you shared that. and so glad you are on the mend! How difficult that was for you. Like you, I don't, or at least try, not to go out very often, when I do I try to get it all in on one day. So I am constantly putting on and taking off my mask on the same day. I see now that that could be a potential problem.

GG, thanks for the sanitize hint. I will try doing that. No wait time for drying, my mask has a metal wire over the nose section and I constantly think about it rusting. I know it's not liable to happen but for some reason I think it. My material is a medium weight cotton, so the folds take time to dry. In comes the hairdryer!

GG Great idea for the sanitation! Thanks!

I have a bunch of those N95 masks, with valves in them, from my workshop. Since those valves make them less safe, I plugged up the valves on the ones I use with hot-melt glue! Nothing goes in or out through those valves now. Those masks I spray with a hydrogen peroxide solution, after each use.

Last edited:
Hello friends… I've missed you.:flowers:

Two days ago I came home from the hospital where I spent nearly a week, and I’m now safely on the mend at home. The final diagnosis was “Nasal Cellulites”. It is a painful skin infection that happens when bacteria enter a break in your skin, and it can become life-threatening if left untreated. I’m so thankful they finally found the magic recipe to cure it, as for a while it looked like it could have been MRSA.
(MRSA (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus). Infections range from mild to very serious, even life- threatening. MRSA is contagious and can be spread to other people through skin-to- skin contact.) Thankfully, it was not MRSA.

Anybody not interested in the gory details can stop reading now. Wink Wink.;);)

Anyway, the whole thing started on Sep. 30th when I woke up to what looked like a big pimple right on the tip of my nose. It hurt like the dickens and the next day, and it felt and looked more like a boil. On Mon. it was even worse with more eruptions that looked the same as the first. Tues and Wed. my Dr. was not in, but I sent a picture of my very painful nose to his office, and she made an appointment for me to see him the following morning on Thurs. He gave me a big bootie shot of antibiotic, along with pills.
The next day the entire lower nose, including the nostrils was under attack with the same. I was told to get myself to the ER and Souschef had to leave me at the front door because of the Covid crisis. I can’t even explain how scared I was, since I’ve taken every possible precaution to not be even remotely exposed to it. Without my SC by my side I felt soooo lost. It was time for me to be brave, and I tried to be. I really did.
I was immediately tested for covid, and it was negative.
The nightmare began when the needles started. I’m what’s known as a very “hard stick” and getting an IV line started in each arm with several attempts by three different people was hell to put it bluntly. The needle sticks for blood draws, (often every two hours) continued for the rest of my time there. The worst one was a needle stick in the big Arthritic joint of my thumb. DANG
They put me in a private (beautiful room with a view) at the end of the day to continue trying to figure this thing out. I had pain like my nose had been attacked by a swarm of honey bee stings and the pain continued. That’s the best way I can think of to describe it. I had high powered pain killers available if requested, but most of the time I gritted my teeth because of the possible Opioid addiction I’d never want to deal with.
Anyway, Back home now, SC made a spread sheet for the many oral medications to be taken for the next week or so. I have a follow up office appointment with the infectious diseases Dr. who was just one of the many Drs. who took such good care of me.

Just one more point…

I was wondering where you had gotten off to.
Glad your home. Home is the best medicine.
I doubt you will become addicted to the opioids. Take them when the pain is unbearable. You're smart. If they had thought you would abuse them it wouldn't have been prescribed.
With the antibiotics drink plenty of fluids. Get some rest if you can. Stay off your feet. If you want we can binge watch something on Netflix ;):flowers:

Munky.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom