Thursday, January 4, 2024, what are you eating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Gumbo Z'herbes

20240104_183303.jpg

I made tomato mushroom sauce and mr bliss had that over whole wheat spaghetti. I had a variety plate of steamed kale, veggie rice with tomato mushroom sauce, and baked gray hopi squash. And I saved seeds from the squash to plant for next year.

I started prepping supper, but I ran out of spoons. We ordered from a burger place. A burger for me and "Santa Fe Chicken" sandwich on a burger bun for DH. It was pretty good. We ordered the spiral fries. DH was skeptical. He said the ones he had had before were always extruded. He admitted that extruded fries can taste good, but they often don't. Well, the spiral fries were delicious. They were cut with some kind of spiralizer, which I could tell by the occasional bit of potato skin left in a few places.

Last edited:
I made a rasam, with that new batch of rasam masala I made last night. I started in the afternoon, soaking some dried vegetables, starting with the equivalent of 3/4 lb tomatoes. In another container, together, I soaked 3/4 lb worth of eggplant, and 1/2 lb worth of green beans. While all this was soaking, I cut up an onion, a carrot, and a green bell pepper, and chopped up the greens from some bok choy, and cut the stalks up, separately. Eventually, when soft, the tomatoes, and about 1/2 c of thawed coconut, I blended it all totally smooth (and eventually rinsed the blender out with the 5 extra cups of water used).

I started with about 4 tb oil in the Instant Pot, on sauté, and cooked the onion about 3 minutes, before adding the bell pepper and carrot, and cooked about 7 or 8 minutes, then added a tb of that garlic/ginger paste, I keep in the freezer, plus a generous 3 tb of that rasam masala, and sautéed it about 1 min, before adding 2 c water, the tomato/coconut paste, and rinsed the VM out with 3 more c of water. Then I added the drained eggplant and beans, masoor and chana dal, some leftover, cooked brown rice, and the chopped bok choy greens. I added some salt, then set on BEANS 15 min, and let the pressure release on its own. The thickness turned out just right with the 5 c of water. I then added the bok choy stems, and let them cook 3 or 4 minutes, while preparing the tarka, to tempering the rasam. For this, I heated about 2 tsp coconut oil in the small pan, along with a tsp of mustard seed and 3/4 tsp, and when the mustard seeds started crackling, the broken up byadagi peppers were swirled around briefly, then the curry leaves and asafoetida were cooked about 10 seconds, and it was quickly added to the rasam, along with a quarter cup of chopped cilantro.
I ate the last (at least from that jar) of those pickled green beans with it - something I took a jar of to an Indian lady, who liked them so much she now wants to grow the beans next season! Her garden might be bigger than mine next season.
Some coconut blended with about 3/4 lb equivalent of soaked, dried tomatoes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

About 3/4 lb of dried eggplant, and 1/2 lb of dried green beans, soaked and drained, and added to the rasam, with 5 more cups water. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

1/2 c each of masoor dal and chana dal, plus about 2 c cooked, leftover brown rice, added to the rasam. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

About 2 c of chopped up greens from the bok choy added to the rasam (stalks go in last). by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A generous 2 c of bok choy stems, added to the rasam, to simmer 5 minutes, while preparing the tarka. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The tarka ingredients ready - the mustard and cumin seeds, 3 byadagi peppers, broken up, and a stalk of curry leaves, and a half tsp of asafoetida. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The cooked tarka, ready to stir into the rasam (after I had stirred in about 1/4 c chopped cilantro). by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The finished rasam, with some pickled beans, with cumin and garlic - good things with Indian dishes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom