Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Each day I'm finding more ripe tomatoes, but no new varieties starting to get ripe for several days. Still 5 or 6 okra daily, and 4 more pickling cukes picked, so I'll have to pickle some more soon. Starting to see more peppers on different plants, but ones that have to ripen on the plants.

I growing about 11 different tomato varieties. At this point the plants all appear to be doing well. I fell behind on pruning them, but did a lot better this year than in past years. Most of the he indeterminate varieties have cleared 6 feet already and most the determinate appear to have maxed out, All of the cherry or grape varieties have started to ripen, but only a few at a time, no huge clusters yet , but that seems right around the corner. There are two varieties that I basically saved the seeds from either store bought or farm stand bought tomatoes. those are also doing well, and the size and shape appear to be what I remember the fruit looked like when I ate them, so Im excited to have something genetically similar to the original fruit. I usually only grow a few varieties, but this year is more of an experimental year to see what does best in my garden environment. About half were started from seed and the other half were store or internet bought. Problem with starting from seed is that I always over plant as if some will die off, and that rarely ever happens, so Im stuck with a significant amount of extra plants. Then, I usually crowd them too close, and it jeopardizes the overall crop. This year, I really tried to follow spacing guidelines with all plants, while still taking advantage of open space with some companion plants. With all the extra tomatoes, I planted them in 5 gallon pots in my 'over flow' garden ( which gets bigger each year). Even those plants in the 5 gallon pots are doing well and producing a decent amount, even without ideal situation.

My cukes and Kirbies Im a little disappointed with this year. Not that it was a bad year by most people standards, but compared to my last few years it wasn't as good. Maybe 1/3 the production of previous recent years. I got a second planting in and will try a third planting any day, when the seeds arrive to squeak out one more . Figure I have nothing to lose other than a few bucks in seeds. Trying a different variety that is theoretically resistant to some of the wilt problems ive been having this year.

Speaking of wilting, I seem to have gotten the upper hand with the eggplants. Ive noticed less of the leaves wilting and the new leaves seem to be healthy. Fingers crossed on that one.

String beans, first planting has probably one more harvest left, then out they go. Got my second planting in already, and today just planted a yellow variety in cells for a third planting.

Also in cells would be another round of chard, beets , zucchini and dill. The beet greens from the first crop actually tasted pretty good. I figure ill plant the second crop and even of the beets dont form, I can benefit from the greens.

Also got some cabbage, rutabaga and carrot seeds that ill plant in a few weeks for fall harvest. By far this is the most succession planting Ive ever done. With the limited space, it really takes a lot of planning and timing to choreograph things so they are ready to be planted when the initial crop dies off, along with having enough time to develop under the proper weather/ temp conditions. Im keeping close notes so I dont have to do as much thinking next year :)

Ive also done some oyster and shiitake mushrooms indoors.

What ive learned so far from this year is:
- I need to get better drainage for my garlic so they dont rot
- Of the 3 spots I planted onions this year, One is clearly better than the other two.
- Try to get more resistant cucumber plants to the wilting problem
- So far, my new 7 ft tomato cages, along with the spacing is better for the plants and
the spacing makes it much easier to care for and harvest.
- If you want 2 foot sunflowers, only grow them from bought seeds, not from off spring that seeded itself from the previous years clearly were either cross pollinated from a larger variety or remnants of dropped bird seed, cause they sure ant 2 feet this year.
- Planting the peanuts more towards the center of the raised bed allows the shoots from the flowers to seed in the garden soil, and not hang out of the bed.
- Beets are great for spinach/ Chard like greens. The beet itself is just and added benefit , so dont be disappointed if you only get a few crappy beets, the greens are equally as plentiful as all the chard I grew.
- The yellow bean variety was tastier than the green. Consider growing more of them next year.
- baby bubba okra doing great in pots ( As they did last year). Repeat for next year.
- Overwintering a pepper plant for the following year, at this point, doesn't seem to be worth the effort. The amount of time I spent trying to keep this thing alive, along with dragging that huge pot up and down the stairs to the only decent window with sun in my house. just buy another plant. But, at least I proved I could do it. Been there, done that.
- Stick with dwarf banana varieties , much easier to bring in and out of the house during the winter. Wither mulch over the larger varieties, or just hack it down and store the base.
- Training the spaghetti squash to grow up and canopy over a certain part of the garden ( where it won't shade out anything due to its location) was actually a smart idea. ( every now and then I have a few of them :smile).
- Definitely have to do more reading on cukes and eggplants for a more predictable/ less stressful season. Eggplants I kinda expected due to my track record, but cukes was a little surprising.

What I just harvested for tonight's dinner; celery, parsley, onions and a tiny Big Jim chile pepper, the first one! Also a tomato to add to the small collection already harvested. Am making a chef's salad for tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_2516.jpg
    IMG_2516.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 86
Harvesting my German Extra Hardy garlic. At this point, I only grow three cultivars; German Extra hardy, Red Chesnok, and Purple Glazer.

Attachments

• IMG_2517.jpg
    IMG_2517.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2518 (1).jpg
    IMG_2518 (1).jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 63
Basil was growing up into the lights so its pesto day.
IMG_20200714_140903663.jpg
Haven't shown a picture of my little aquaponic bed in a while.
IMG_20200714_112505100.jpg
Sara and Maybelle get mad if I show pictures of the plants without including them.
IMG_20200617_190411195 (2).jpg

Looks great, skilletlicker!

These are the cukes I have to pickle - every time I look out there, it seems like I missed another! This is just 3 days worth, from the same 3 plants, and I've used 5 in some refrigerator pickles, and other ways.
11 Wisconsin 58s, and 3 County Fairs, ready to pickle. 7-14 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Today, by accident I knocked off my largest tomato so far this season - a 15.20 oz. Big Beef. It was green, but has a faint blush, like another I knocked off, so they both should ripen.

Today, by accident I knocked off my largest tomato so far this season - a 15.20 oz. Big Beef. It was green, but has a faint blush, like another I knocked off, so they both should ripen.

Thought I saw a faint patch of purple sky over NJ way. Guess it wasn't a weather storm, just a "knocked a durn tomato off again and it had to be that tomato!" type of storm. :ermm:

Nice Aquaponic Set up Skillet, I have one myself which did great for the first few years. The fish lasted for a long time. Once they moved on to greener pastures, I haven't been able to keep fish long term anymore. At first I thought it had to do with the kind of plants I was growing in the system. I also changed and then removed the gravel, did a complete water change ... with no luck. I still have it running with no fish, but with no fish is no nutrients. Maybe in the fall ill populate it again and see if I have better luck.

Thanks, Pepperhead. Thanks, Larry.

I got Sara and Maybelle in January of 2018 when I realized I couldn't grow and harvest tilapia in such a small indoor system. Never considered owning Goldfish and expected nothing from them but enough poop to grow a few basil plants. To my surprise, they have become beloved pets. I'm hoping we can all live at least as long as their optimistic life expectancy; maybe another fifteen years or so.

In the growbed, I've recently discovered I can start plants from kitchen scraps that would have otherwise been fed to the worms. At the moment I have celery, green onion, and baby bok choy growing from about 3/4" of root end scrap. Also turnip from stem end of turnip scrap. Don't expect to harvest turnip root but hoping for turnip greens and maybe beet greens.

In the growbed, I've recently discovered I can start plants from kitchen scraps that would have otherwise been fed to the worms. At the moment I have celery, green onion, and baby bok choy growing from about 3/4" of root end scrap. Also turnip from stem end of turnip scrap. Don't expect to harvest turnip root but hoping for turnip greens and maybe beet greens.

Ive done that too, and have had good luck with the green onions. But when I tried the green onions, thats when my fish croaked , so I thought maybe they couldn't tolerate the onions. But when I used other plants I still had issues. All that being said, Ive had good luck with rooting fig tree cuttings and rosemary cuttings , so that is my primary use in addition to having fresh basil all year round. As far as the fish go, I usually just get small feeder fish ( for 13 cents a pop. I just get a couple, but the first two I had lived several years. I figured they were going to get eaten anyway, so I gave the a somewhat better life. I ultimately released them into my outdoor pond and they got relatively large. Then, unfortunately, they mete their fate when raccoons got them.

Beth, Larry, Pepper, miss you all.
We're growing 4 kinds of tomatoes this year, only 4. Roma and a SanMarzano type, then a SanMarzano Redorta type and an Amazon Chocolate tomato.
2 types of peppers, the california wonder green bell, but I let every single one go to red because that is sweeter and prettier, then I chop them and bag and freeze them. Hatch peppers, for a little heat.

We're putting invasive mints into the yard this year, peppermint, spearmint, lemon balm. In Wisconsin we get such cold winters, nothing seems to actually be invasive that might be invasive in the more southern states.

Larry, you said raccoons.

Last year was a banner year for raccoons.
We planted beans, not once, not twice, 11 times.
They were eaten off.
Found out everyone was having raccoon troubles.
The neighbor north of us, trapped them then illegally let them go up the road. Guess what happened, they came back.
We started trapping them with live traps.

13 raccoons last year and no beans for us.

So we have live traps and fence and are very alert to the gardens/animals, so that we can actually get some beans this year.

We usually have deer, but haven't seen any this year which is rare.
No raccoons, yet.
Only the occasional squirrel, mouse, rabbit.

blissful!!!! So good to finally hear from you!

I'm counting on good bean and tomato crops this year. The in-ground bed next to the fence is all green beans and the in-ground bed in the foreground is about 75% of my tomatoes. Both are just starting to flower.

Attachments

• IMG_2521.jpg
    IMG_2521.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2522.jpg
    IMG_2522.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 63
Beth good to see you again. Good to see you.

I had to laugh, mr bliss brought in our bean harvest today for him and me. One bean for each of us, it just tickled my funny bone.
4 zucchini, watch out neighborhood.

We put in 117 tomato plants, 4 varieties. I'm hoping for a good year.

Beth good to see you again. Good to see you.

I had to laugh, mr bliss brought in our bean harvest today for him and me. One bean for each of us, it just tickled my funny bone.
4 zucchini, watch out neighborhood.

We put in 117 tomato plants, 4 varieties. I'm hoping for a good year.

The thing about raising your own garden is you can harvest vegetables, no matter how tiny they are!

The thing about raising your own garden is you can harvest vegetables, no matter how tiny they are!
Last year we found out the neighbors also found out that harvesting our garden was helpful to them.:LOL: This was not our first choice.

I finally put out a jar with a message, telling them our asparagus was going for $14/lb and that they could leave the money in the jar. :LOL: Whoever was doing it, stopped.

Then that same summer someone took 8 great big peppers that were ripe for picking. In the middle of the night. I'm glad I provided anti-oxidants for the neighbors. :angel:

I AM a sharer of vegetables. Zucchini, well, lock your cars, cucumbers for the pickle makers, tomatoes once I can everything in sight, garlic, whenever you want it. But asparagus? Don't fool with our asparagus.

Reminds me of the farms out east ( about 1/2 hour from me). They put their local ripe produce on the back of their tractor. Park it on the street in front of their house along with an unattended money box.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 8.23.41 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 8.23.41 PM.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 60
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 8.25.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 8.25.24 PM.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 59
There is a farm stand, less than 1/2 mile from here. Unattended money box, lots of good things. Cameras everywhere. A father and son grow fields of food. The prices are a little bit high but nice to have some fresh produce so close to home.

Thought I saw a faint patch of purple sky over NJ way. Guess it wasn't a weather storm, just a "knocked a durn tomato off again and it had to be that tomato!" type of storm. :ermm:
:LOL:
Here are those two tomatoes - they definitely started ripening in just a day. I knocked a bunch of the grape tomatoes off today while picking, but that didn't bother me as much.
The two Big Beefs I knocked off the plant the day before, each with a slight blush. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Tomato season is finally here! At least twice what I picked yesterday, of both cherries and larger ones - even though I'm picking everything with a blush and darker, there's that much more the next day!
Harvest on 7-15, about twice that of the day before. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The cherries are finally catching up! 2 qts in just one day. 7-15 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom