Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's incredible Larry. I'm in awe. Actually I'm in awe of all you gardeners. I guess I just don't have the drive or dedication. I stick a plant in and hope for the best. I certainly don't pamper, nor do I seem to be able to visualize... LOL my squash (called Golden Harvest or something like that - only ones left in the nursery) have completely taken over the box, crossed the aisle and attacked some onions and my lonely tomato plant. They have flowers, so although I pull them away and try to send them in another direction, they only survive because I've seen the flowers.

I actually have now just seen some cukes forming on the lonely plant I have (also a nursery orphan). That makes me happy. Just watching and hoping the squash doesn't strangle it.

For next year I'm hoping to find some old tires for them to put up against a fence so as to plant better in the boxes. Of course, this is all in my mind of what I dream I might do.

My zucchini's seem to be pacing themselves this year. I think ive only picked 11 so far this year, but the plants look really healthy, a lot of both M and F flowers, and 2 on the plant just waiting to size up ( maybe another day or two). But, as we all know, there is always that one that 'got away'. and then once we find it, we try to figure out how we missed it. Definitely not my largest, but still large enough that I question my eyesight ( even though I just had my eyes checked last month). As long as its not too seedy, my wife will make a zucchini bread out of it. if too seedy, likely the chicken will have it for dinner.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 7.17.18 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 7.17.18 PM.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 92
Why I grow German Extra hardy garlic. Two cloves equaled 1/4 cup. It has a classic rich garlic flavor raw that mellows when cooked. And is easy to peel!

Attachments

• IMG_2537.jpg
    IMG_2537.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2538.jpg
    IMG_2538.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2539.jpg
    IMG_2539.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 70
bethzaring That's the reason I like some of those large cloved varieties, like Estonian Red. Where a recipe calls for 8 cloves, only 2 or 3 is needed!

I cut that first tinda gourd open today, and the seeds are just starting to form. So today I harvested 3 smaller ones; the larger one here is about an inch smaller than the one I cut open today, but it weighed about an ounce more, so I assume it's denser, because the seeds aren't forming yet. I'll have to cut them soon, to check them out.
Tinda gourds, harvested on 7-25 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi, this is my "throw it in the garden and hope it grows" self and I have a question.

There are male and female flowers on squash plants. Are they both on the same plant or is one plant only male and the other female?

First tomato of the season, sort of...

It is a left over start in my mini start house and has been growing in a 2 inch soil block for 4 months or more. I just keep adding water every few days to see what would happen. Missed yesterday, which is why it's a bit sad and droopy.

Nothing yet in the garden.20200726_080232.jpg20200726_080302.jpg

Hi, this is my "throw it in the garden and hope it grows" self and I have a question.

There are male and female flowers on squash plants. Are they both on the same plant or is one plant only male and the other female?
I believe they are both on the same plant. One is better for picking and cooking, the other makes the fruit. I always get it confused though and don't want to pull the wrong one.

Fried squash flowers are yummy. As are stir fried arugala pods and flowers after they go to seed.

The male blossoms come first, and have long stems, and often they are on the plants for weeks, before any females are seen, and can be harvested, for various dishes. I started seeing them on one plant around 7-4, and only a few days ago saw a female flower on it. They grow fast, once pollinated! Here's the squash, just two days after I saw the female blossom opened, and again today, about 20 hours later:
Unknown squash on the trellis - may be the yuxi? First one forming, 7-25 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Unknown squash, less than a day later, 7-26 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And here is a male blossom on the same plant. You can see the long, thin stem, compared to the one that will be the stem on the squash:
Male squash blossom, 7-26 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
Yes, I was able to tell the difference between the flowers - it is just a huge confusing jungle between the 4 plants. So far the 3 or 4 females I have found have an obvious bulb and they are all on the same plant - which is why I asked that question.

I was just worried that with all the male flowers coming and going so fast, who would be left behind to fertilize the females? But if one plant has both, I guess the chances of pollination are much greater.

I take it cucumbers are the same way? I only have one plant and although I have seen some 'small finger size' starting, wasn't sure they would continue if there was only the one plant for pollination.

Fried squash flowers are yummy. As are stir fried arugala pods and flowers after they go to seed.

Have often seen this on cooking shows. Is there really any taste to them? or is the "yummy" factor due to the batter, frying and/or concept of prepping and eating a flower?

I also always thought it was terrible to pick flowers that would become squash. I now realize that due to the profusion of male flowers the future vegetable for the table is not being sacrificed!

Thanks guys!

In my experience, minimal taste, its the inside and the breading that give the flavor. it serves as more of a vessel and nice presentation.
They do have a nice texture raw, and would work in salads.

Of course, even mild tasting things can taste good fried, but squash blossoms do have some good flavor, and there are a lot of recipes out there with them, other than fried. The ones that I think of immediately are some Mexican dishes I have made, from Bayless's books. I'll see if any are on his websites.

I actually went out to harvest as many of those blossoms as I could, but I knew that I had forgotten to pick my eggplants these last two days! Maybe I'll get to the blossoms later.
3 days worth of eggplants. 7-27 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

7 Ichibans (2 a little overgrown)
6 Haris
5 Neons
2 Rositas
1 Rosa Bianca (small, but picked because it weighed the branch to the ground)

As usual, my 3 favorites are doing the best! Most of these will be going in the dehydrator.

Looking good. Pancakes tomorrow. Actually had an argument with Henrietta Hen about who owned those blueberries in my bucket. After a few ruffled feathers I think she understood.20200726_182347.jpg20200726_164016.jpg

Skinny cuke is about 3" or so. 2 eggplants coming along. 2 more hiding behind. Tomatoes seem to be stuck, seems like they've been like that for almost 2 weeks?20200726_163557.jpg20200726_163354.jpg20200726_163414.jpg

Back
Top Bottom