Trying to make crisp potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
every time I cut up potatoes into small pieces and try to fry them to crispness the pan gets covered with a coating of burned potatoes and the potatoes never get crisp. I hate to drown them in oil but can't think of any other way to do it.

It sounds like the temperature of the stove is too high. Reduce the heat to medium or lower.

This recipe from Cooks Illustrated is the best one I know of. You can eliminate the seasoning at the end if you want, or use different seasoning. The technique works great, though.

Greek Pan-Roasted Potatoes

yup. I've found the biggest culprit is the type of potato.

the starch content of potatoes varies by "type"
Russets are "high starch" - which works best for stuff like baked potato where the starch causes the potato to "burst" and go all fluffy at the cellular level.

low starch potatoes tend to retain their shape / size / do not 'disintegrate' when cooked.
potato salad variants demonstrate that issue - high starch/Russets make a "creamy" style, low starch results in clearly individual cubes/dices....
for a German style potato salad with oil&vinegar&herbs I use reds
for an American style creamy, I use Russets.

for crispy diced / sliced fried - try reds, fingerling, yukon
next best "white potatoes"

When I’m frying potatoes for breakfast I prefer to use leftover boiled potatoes.

I fry them in a cast iron skillet low and slow in a very small amount of oil or bacon fat. I don’t add seasonings or other ingredients until the potatoes are brown and crisp. The process can take 45 minutes but IMO it’s worth it.

For making oven fried potato logs I preheat the oven to 450f.

I cut unpeeled Russet potatoes lengthwise into 1/8s and soak the raw potato wedges in cold water with baking soda and salt for 15 minutes.

Drain and pat dry, toss with oil to coat and bake on a sheet pan for 45 minutes turning every 12 minutes until crisp and brown.

georgevan, you don't specify if you are frying precooked (as in left/overs) or fresh/raw.
There is a difference in how to pan fry.

We make a crispy mashed potato puffs. First make the mashed potatoes (microwave or boil or bake) remove thick skinned skins. (we often use russets) Add water, lemon, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley and mash. Use a scooper and put scoops on a parchment lined half sheet pan, sprinkle with smoked paprika, and bake at 350 deg F until lightly browned.

sproutedgrainbreads_001.jpg

Another no oil method we use we mix mashed potatoes with mushrooms and onions. Form patties on a parchment lined pan. We call these potato steaks. Bake them at 350 deg F until lightly browned. He likes them thin and crispy and I like them a little thicker and crispy.
bunny_010.jpg

Now you can serve these with an oil or butter based dipping sauce, or sour cream or whatever your heart desires. Or serve them with a ketchup or oil free dressing if you want to. I usually leave both kinds out and people seem to snack on them until they are gone.

Sorry @georgevan I don't have a good recipe for frying potatoes in oil in recent years. I hope you find what you are looking for so you can make them the way you like them.

If you are trying to make French fries, then there are 2 methods that work for me (also for potato crisps)

Fry from cold. Cold oil, cold pan, slowly let the heat come up.
I think it was Heston Blumenthal that uses this method.
I tried it, it actually works

And the way I was thought:
Double fry
First fry around 160 oC for probably 5 minutes or so.
Remove, cool
Then 2nd fry at 180-185 oC to brown and crisp them.

If your potatoes are a bit soft, then prep, let sit in salted water for a couple of hours
Drain, dry, fry

Bit of a cheffy trick:

Par boil potatoes from cold water, 5 minutes when water boils.
Remove, pat dry or better still, use a salad spinner to remove excess water.
Very lightly dust with rice flour, seasoned if you wish.
Fry from here.

Results = very nice crispy outer and soft, fluffy inside. Never fails.

Bit of a cheffy trick:

Fry from here.

Are the potatoes already cut when they get parboiled? Is this for fries, wedges, or something else?

Jade, no need to apologize, :sneaky: after all, the thread is about french fries. Of course, if you were talking about another cut, ;) well then, maybe, yup.

Have a friend who does it your way. She does say she has to plan in advance for it and not done on a weeknight. But I have had them and they are amazing!

Bit of a cheffy trick:

Fry from here.

One of our local hotdog stands uses a similar method, with cornstarch.

The fries have a light crispy exterior and a creamy interior that has gained cult status in my area.

1690601779323.jpeg

Cornstarch works as well.
Unfortunately I have a deep seated aversion to using cornstarch because my chef would not allow it for a thickening agent in sauces. Reduction only.
You will find that almost every pre-packaged fries/chip/wedges have some sort of flour based coating. Wedges take a different approach, but the fundamentals are the same (different ratios and seasonings etc.)
The salad spinner is a really good way of reducing the amount of water in your potatoes - I wouldn’t buy one just for this use, but a lot of us have one and don’t really think of other ways to use it.
I do really hope that my ideas have assisted and contributed to this interesting discussion 🫠

every time I cut up potatoes into small pieces and try to fry them to crispness the pan gets covered with a coating of burned potatoes and the potatoes never get crisp. I hate to drown them in oil but can't think of any other way to do it.
Instead of doing little cubes, let her go I do very thin slices on a food processor 2 mm blade. That size does not come standard but I imagine the one that does would probably work enough but just leave chewiness inside the potatoes.

I use a combination of canola oil and bacon fat about half and half in a non-stick skillet. I put it on the power burner, medium high. No salt but it's okay to Pepper. But you might as well wait a while to Pepper. Then you leave it as much of the sliced potatoes making contact with the bottom of the pan as possible, by which I mean spread out. And then you don't stir it or anything until you lift up bits and can see that it's already browned on the other side. Then you flip them as best you can and do the other side. I had a couple of matches come out almost like potato chips but just a little more flexible.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom