Tuesday, June 13th, what'cha eatin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Cobb salad for us.
20230613_181221.jpg

I'm making a celebration dinner! We are getting a new USPS Carrier on Saturday!!! I hear the new "temporary" guy is very different...with a photographic memory! Hope that helps...

Anyway, I'm making a stir-fry of pepper beef...we'll have Jasmine rice too...and I'm thinking a salad of sorts. Wish me luck on the pepper beef! New recipe for me. Mise en place done...:unsure:

I'm making a celebration dinner! We are getting a new USPS Carrier on Saturday!!! I hear the new "temporary" guy is very different...with a photographic memory! Hope that helps...

Anyway, I'm making a stir-fry of pepper beef...we'll have Jasmine rice too...and I'm thinking a salad of sorts. Wish me luck on the pepper beef! New recipe for me. Mise en place done...:unsure:
IMG_7450 (2).jpg

I made a type of curry today, with some dried green beans and eggplants (something I have a lot of, esp. the EP), and I seasoned it with (among other things) some pav bhaji masala I made, a while back, and I used the last cup or so of some masoor dal in the jar in my pantry. I soaked about a pound equivalent of dried eggplant and dried green beans, starting around 10 am. Later, I rinsed, then soaked 1¼ c of brown basmati rice in the Instant Pot, for around 2 hours (while out in the garden). When I started the cooking, I added a half tsp turmeric, a tsp of salt, and I set the IP for 15 min on low pressure - this works perfectly with the brown rice, w/o exploding the grains. I just let it sit on warm mode, until I needed it.

I simmered some chopped onion and garlic scapes in some coconut oil in a small wok, while making the cooking liquid in the Vitamix. I put 2 c water, a handful of dried tomatoes (about a half pound equivalent), the last of the leaves from some mizuna and other greens I had in the hydroponics, 2 cloves garlic, and about ¼ c dried, unsweetened coconut, then blended that up to a smooth purée; I added that to the wok, rinsed the VM out with 2 more water, and put that in the wok. I then stirred in the rinsed EP and green beans, the seasonings, then the masoor dal, and another half cup of water (seemed like it needed it). I brought it to a simmer, and cooked it 25 min., stirring occasionally. When that was done, I took it off the heat, then put the small pot on for the tarka, with a tb of coconut oil, on level 4, and added 1 tsp black mustard seed. When that started popping, I added 1 tsp cumin seed, and 8 Thai peppers, swirled around until the peppers brown slightly, then added 1/2 tsp asafoetida and about a dozen curry leaves. After about 10 sec, I dumped it on the curry. All this takes less than about 30 sec, from when the mustard seeds go in. The tarka is stirred in, followed by the rice, and a few snow peas . I served it, sprinkled with a little chopped cilantro.
An onion and a couple of garlic scapes, cooking in some coconut oil, to start the curry. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Some liquified greens, dried tomatoes, and garlic, with the soaked eggplant and beans, from last season, and some pav bhaji masala. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Curry, with the pav bhaji seasonings added, with the masoor dal, ready to stir in and simmer. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Tarka ingredients, ready to cook. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The tarka, ready to stir into the curry, after simmering the masoor dal in the greens liquid. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The turmeric rice, being stirred into the curry. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished pav bhaji curry, with the turmeric rice stirred in. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

We ordered Greek food. We got a pikilia (variety) platter and a side of loukanika (a yummy Greek sausage). We finished off the rice pilaf from a previous order of Greek food.

I would have liked to have cooked supper, but I have gone and done something to my foot, so everything takes a lot longer than usual.

Back
Top Bottom