What happened to the bedbug scare?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
about 7 or 8 years ago or so there was a national bedbug scare and the word out was there was nothing stopping it and soon everyone would have bedbugs forever because there was no way to get rid of them. Fast forward to today; I don't know anyone who ever got bedbugs and I hear not a word anymore about bedbugs. What happened? Sound like covid?

It sounds nothing like COVID. With COVID millions of people worldwide have actually died form it.

The bedbug scare sounds like something you read on the internet.

Plus 1 Andy.

And of course you can get rid of them!

Internet misinfo monger.

so when you heard about it all those years ago, did you not try looking up info on it? Or did you just accept it as true...

I remember news reports on the local TV stations. A simple Google search turned up a number of stories, like this one:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/oct/21/bedbugs-invaded-new-york

There are also several recent articles about NYC's bed bug problem becoming less of an issue with Covid sheltering in place orders. Without people to move them around, infestations have been minimized. NYC even puts out a daily report with how many households have bugs. Ick.

And you can get rid of them. It's a bother, since you have to leave your place for a couple of days. And it's expensive. But they can be eliminated from your domicile.

Last edited:
So, my apologies. I lived in Montreal, the buildings were all attached from one end of the block to the other. There was an outbreak of bedbugs but one day away and one application by exterminators was all it took.

So, my apologies. I lived in Montreal, the buildings were all attached from one end of the block to the other. There was an outbreak of bedbugs but one day away and one application by exterminators was all it took.

Was that when DDT was still legal to use? The newer, safer stuff isn't as efficient at getting rid of bed bugs.

Have no idea, don't think DDT was being used. I remember that we didn't have to wash or otherwise clean when we came back in.

My daughter recently had the same thing going on in Edmonton, last fall. Same routine as best as I can make out.

Roscoe, the bed bug dog?

Lol, it was a commercial that was incessantly on TV in NY a few years ago about a doggie detective named Roscoe that could identify bed bug infestation areas for the extrminator.

I believe they use a kind of freezing spray of some sort to get rid of them now as it's safe for people, pets, and electronics.

https://bell-environmental.com/wheres-roscoe/roscoe-the-bed-bug-dog/

Roscoe, the bed bug dog?

Lol, it was a commercial that was incessantly on TV in NY a few years ago about a doggie detective named Roscoe that could identify bed bug infestation areas for the extrminator.

I believe they use a kind of freezing spray of some sort to get rid of them now as it's safe for people, pets, and electronics.

https://bell-environmental.com/wheres-roscoe/roscoe-the-bed-bug-dog/

LOL, Egads and little fishes (to quote my late mom)... I will sleep wiser tonight!

They do have a distinctive smell. A girlfriends late Russian mother could smell them. I could not but for sure she could! Compliments of war camps I think.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom