What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A break from cereal.
Waffles and air fryer bacon. Yum. 20200718_080516.jpg

Look what I found!

View attachment 41936

Portuguese Sausage!! My Mom kept telling me that someday I'd find it here on "The Mainland" if I just kept on looking.
Linguica

View attachment 41937

So I made up a big batch of Hawaiian-Style Fried Rice (which I understand that this is a "thing" here on The Mainland) and made us a gorgeous local-style breakfast :yum:

Strictly a personal opinion... I believe Silva's to be the very best linguisa.. :yum:

We always have a package in our freezer.. That said, freezing does take away some of the wonderful flavor.. :neutral:

Ross

Strictly a personal opinion... I believe Silva's to be the very best linguisa.. :yum:

We always have a package in our freezer.. That said, freezing does take away some of the wonderful flavor.. :neutral:

Ross

Ross, both DH and I think that Silva's Linguica is so very close to the stuff we get back home, and now that I have found it relatively close by, we'll be having much more often.

hawaiian-portuguese-sausage.jpg

I have two Hawaii Portuguese Sausages in the deep freeze from our last trip home... maybe we should do a side-by-side taste test!! :idea:

Never heard/seen Portuguese Sausage, at least, not that I've looked. Is it spicy, mild, inbetween, sweet?

Dragn, it's a smoked Sausage with a touch of vinegar. Not spicy at all, just a nice round flavor with paprika. The oil that is rendered off is a beautiful reddish-orange color, it is a bit on the fatty side, I blot the grease off before serving, and wipe out the pan when making it for Fried Rice.

Look what I found!

View attachment 41936

Portuguese Sausage!! My Mom kept telling me that someday I'd find it here on "The Mainland" if I just kept on looking.
Linguica

View attachment 41937

So I made up a big batch of Hawaiian-Style Fried Rice (which I understand that this is a "thing" here on The Mainland) and made us a gorgeous local-style breakfast :yum:

I forgot to add, that glass of juice? It's also from Hawaii, POG or Passion-Orange-Guava juice, YUM!!! Or should I say ONO!!!!!!!! :yum:

Ross, both DH and I think that Silva's Linguica is so very close to the stuff we get back home, and now that I have found it relatively close by, we'll be having much more often.

I have two Hawaii Portuguese Sausages in the deep freeze from our last trip home... maybe we should do a side-by-side taste test!! :idea:

I think that's a great idea.. I'd like to know your thoughts.. :)

Ross

I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open for it. Sounds yummy. Don't have that many specialty shops but, hey! yuh never knows.

thanks

I would hope that you would enjoy linguisa as a breakfast side, diced in scrambled eggs, etc.. :yum:

A great addition to red sauces.. I love it in chili, pasta sauce, etc..

Legend has it that a lingusa, onion, mayo sandwich is a great hangover cure.. ;) :ermm::LOL:

Ross

I would hope that you would enjoy linguisa as a breakfast side, diced in scrambled eggs, etc.. :yum:

A great addition to red sauces.. I love it in chili, pasta sauce, etc..

Legend has it that a lingusa, onion, mayo sandwich is a great hangover cure.. ;) :ermm::LOL:

Ross

OMG! Linguica diced up in Chili?! YUM! That's how I make my Paniolo Chili, a rif off of a extremely, cult like following (I'm one of them ;)) Restaurant in Hawaii, Zippy's

https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthede...2/01/paniolo-thats-hawaiian-for-cowboy-chili/

IMG_5308.jpg

IMG_5306.jpg

Also, in Hawaii, they make a Musubi shaped Portuguese Sausage!
I did make Musubi with half of the package that I brought back last June, but I can't find the photos!

DSC01108.jpg

But here's Deluxe style Nigiri Sushi from our favorite shop in Honolulu

DSC01238.jpg

I also put diced and fired Portuguese Sausage in my Thanksgiving Stuffing

egg-on-stuffing.jpg

and the best part of having Thanksgiving is leftovers!
I poach an Egg and plop that atop some Stuffing, YUMMY!

OMG! Linguica diced up in Chili?! YUM! That's how I make my Paniolo Chili, a rif off of a extremely, cult like following (I'm one of them ;)) Restaurant in Hawaii,

I also put diced and fired Portuguese Sausage in my Thanksgiving Stuffing

View attachment 41963

and the best part of having Thanksgiving is leftovers!
I poach an Egg and plop that atop some Stuffing, YUMMY!

Forgot about adding to dressing.. :yum:

Also... I don't know if you do this, K-Girl.. When adding cooked linguisa to a liquid based dish, I also make certain the juices go into the dish.. To me, the flavor of that rendered fat is delicious..
Disclaimer: Don't use the linguisa fat 3 times a day.. :ermm:

Ross

Forgot about adding to dressing.. :yum:

Also... I don't know if you do this, K-Girl.. When adding cooked linguisa to a liquid based dish, I also make certain the juices go into the dish.. To me, the flavor of that rendered fat is delicious..
Disclaimer: Don't use the linguisa fat 3 times a day.. :ermm:

Ross

No Ross, I drain off the fat - too much for us.
It is a gorgeous color, for sure!

Hash & Eggs

No picture today but looked just like a dozen others I have posted.

Various forms of vegetable hash and eggs have become my go-to. Sometimes with eggs fried atop the hash; others scrambled into it. A little potato and a lot of other vegetables. Never photogenic but usually tastes good and always a big plateful. Today it was close to two pounds of food. This is my biggest meal of the day; 830 calories, 38g protein, 42g carbs, 54g fat. Fat is the only excessive nutrient IMO because I used andouille sausage. More but leaner meat would have been a little healthier.
Breakfast 2020-07-20 105024.jpg

Avocado mash on toasted bagel with freshly made pistachio dukkah.

Attachments

• 2020-07-22 11.34.11.jpg
    2020-07-22 11.34.11.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 64

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom