What's Your Favorite Ethnic food Category?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Favorite Ethnic Food Category

• Total voters
Decisions, Decisions! I love everything in that list...and Polish food, too, since that is my family's heritage. I've cooked dishes from each of those categories, too. I could have voted Italian, since we do enjoy that. Or joined the crowd and said Mexican; Himself loves it and I've learned to be OK with it. I could have tossed my vote to German cooking since no one had given it any love, but I decided to send love to Southern USA for the same reason. I voted Southern USA since I seem to like and cook a good number of low country, southern, and Creole meals. Especially for a northern Polish girl. ;) Collard greens and beans with ham is on the menu this week - and it better be soon, too, since that bunch of collards is taking up room in the fridge! :LOL:

Andy, it's your poll, and you've avoided answering the question. What is YOUR favorite cuisine? Do tell...

Funny how one never sees themselves well.

Why not an option for New England, Andy? I love many foods that come from up nawth.

And all of us Squareheads are insulted that Scandinavia wasn't represented.

You are so right BT. We have some fantastic seafood dishes up here in the Nawth. And we cater to the tourist trade with eateries that serve only seafood. And it is a healthy choice for everyone. No fat, and loaded with nutrients.

Of all the ones listed in the pole and even though it has a heavy influence on Cajun and Creole cooking, I could do without French cooking. The rest, I couldn't choose a particular favorite. Maybe if Seafood was a choice, I'd pick that as most ethnic cuisines use it.

OK, OK, I missed some possible poll options. That's why there is an All Other option. So feel free to use that and explain in your post.

I also forgot Indian, one of my favorites.

As to my favorite, it has to be Italian. Couldn't live happy without pizza and pasta. Not to mention all the other goodies.

Second may be Indian or Chinese.

Looks like Mexican is the runaway winner in this poll.

Arabic food, I like kebabs, kebbe and meze. I guess that is very unpopular cuisine to like , but I love it.
What makes you think Middle Eastern food is not popular? I love it. Just because Andy didn't include it on his list doesn't mean it's unpopular.

I have a hard time deciding between Italian, Mexican, Middle Eastern and Thai. They're all delicious :yum:

You are so right BT. We have some fantastic seafood dishes up here in the Nawth. And we cater to the tourist trade with eateries that serve only seafood. And it is a healthy choice for everyone. No fat, and loaded with nutrients.

Amazingly enough, other places with coastlines are known for their healthy, delicious seafood as well ;) And it has healthy fats. Fat-free food is not necessarily very healthful.

Last edited:
I love ethnic food. There's very little I don't like.

I voted "Other Asian" because Indian, Japanese, and southeast Asian food is at the top of my list. I guess they are all covered under this category.

I love German food, too, since I was raised on it. I also like authentic Mexican dishes, most of which goes far beyond tacos, Spanish rice, and refried beans.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't consider "Southern USA" to be ethnic, any more than I would Tex-Mex. It's more of a regional American style, in my opinion.

...Maybe it's just me, but I don't consider "Southern USA" to be ethnic, any more than I would Tex-Mex. It's more of a regional American style, in my opinion.

Steve, you're correct. It's not an ethnic category. However, if I chose "regional" rather than "ethnic" it would have complicated the poll substantially, getting us into Cantonese vs. Szechuan or southern vs. northern Italian, etc.

I like the Americanized version of all the choices mentioned in the poll.

If I had to limit my choice to one it would be Italian because that's the one that I'm most comfortable with. I enjoy the little inexpensive family-owned Italian American red sauce joints in my area that are similar to Rao's.

I voted Italian, which I LOVE and cook a lot of, mainly because I wasn't brought up eating Italian food --- or any other Non-Pacific Rim culture's food really, like German, French, etc.

When I met my American-Italian husband, I had grown up eating:
Hawaiian
Chinese
Japanese
Filipino
Puerta Rician
Portuguese
Korean
Thai
Vietnamese
Mexican

These are all groups of peoples that immigrated to Hawaii, mostly to work the plantations. Food was always the common denominator, even when no one understood each other.
I learned to try anything and everything, you never knew if you'd like it or not unless you tried. The only thing that I have to watch is seafood. Having eaten so much over a lifetime, doctor said that the iodine has built up in me and I must be careful, ssshhhh, I still get my share :yum:

Couldn't possibly choose. I was thinking Indian, then but, Middle Eastern, Jamaican, Mexican, Italian, Greek, ... I didn't include Danish or Swedish, because I grew up with those. I do really enjoy them.

I have Chinese frequently for lunch because it's buffet style and quick. Good Mexican around here can take a 1.5 hour lunch period.

I was raised in such a melting pot of cultures that asking me to choose one is like asking me which appendages or organs in my body do I want to keep.

Back
Top Bottom