When you cut bell peppers do you always remove the white part of it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, usually, and the seeds.

With the exception of cutting them in decorative discs, as in across the equator. I remove some of the white in the direct centre but leave enough of the spokes to give an interesting shape.

is it really sour or bitter ( the white )
or just unpleasant to the eye?

most of the time i remove most of it with fingers

if they are tiny mini pepper i don't remove at all

is it really sour or bitter ( the white )
or just unpleasant to the eye?

most of the time i remove most of it with fingers

Try tasting the white ribs of the pepper and compare the taste to the green meat of the pepper and see what you think. You should notice a difference.

Sir Loin, good video. I use this method but when I'm cutting up 30 at a time, for freezing, I put them through the slap chopper so they are the same size dices. I use the tops and bottoms--cutting out the stem and blossom mark. I freeze the dice in gallon zip bags, flattened about 1-2 inches thick for easy thawing, then stack them. I'm about half way through my diced red peppers from last summer. We use them for so many things and the color brightens up the dish.

Except for the seeds, I put all the bits that I won't be using for cooking or a salad into a jar in the freezer. It's the vegi scraps for vegi stock jar. Stuff like onion and garlic skins and carrot peel go in there. Pretty much any, raw vegi scraps that aren't yucky, except for scraps from very starchy vegis, like potatoes.

That's what I was going to say! Though countless recipes will tell you to devein hot peppers, to me, that's blasphemy! :LOL:

I do remove the vein from bells, and I find those cheap, bird's beak paring knives I have several of, best for that - just cut around the core at the top, then a few times vertically, and remove the strips, then use the knives to take out the veins and seeds. Then switch to whatever knife I'll be finishing the cuts with - usually the large chef's knife or cleaver.

And I'm another one that saves all that stuff, for recycling, via compost.

Last edited:
I usually remove the white part of bell peppers and use my melon baller tool to do that. So easy to insert the tool and scrape away.

Melon ballers are amazing little gadgets. I not only use them for melons, but I'll use them to scoop perfect little balls of avocado for salads, as well as scooping out the innards of a baked potato half if I'm making potato skins or twice-baked taters.

Also good for making mini meatballs.

But I digress :angel:

That's a cool idea. I will have to give that a try. It might work well with hot peppers too.
I use a grapefruit spoon. The serrated edges are great for scraping out the membranes.

I don't know why we even have that single grapefruit spoon, since neither of us eats grapefruit [emoji16]

I cut peppers as shown in the video. One difference. when the center part of the pepper, the stem and seeds, are being removed, Just run the knife blade a little lower and you slice off the ribs as you go.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom