What is a good drink for a college-aged girl?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is wrong with drinking pure alcohol. That can be very enjoyable. Just ask anyone who drinks martinis (the original kind or even a vodka martini) or people who enjoy scotch straight up or any other alcohol straight up. Straight alcohol can be very enjoyable.
Those are my favorite drinks. SM scotch and classic martinis. Nothing wrong with either of them.

Yeah there isn't anything wrong with drinking pure alcohol, I enjoy it myself, I was just saying I don't think she'd like it.

And also, I did not explicitly say a "mixed drink" so wine is not out of the question, as some other posters mentioned. Although my original post might have made it sound like that. Sorry for the confusion.

Ahh, well in that case are you having anything when she comes over? Just drinks, or dinner and drinks, or maybe appetizers and drinks? That does influence what you might choose to serve.

Fred Sanford had a drink he mixed to impress the ladies...Champagne and Ripple. He called it "Cham-Pipple."
img_661438_0_b6953eeeec0460bb97e23f466a7d03d0.gif
img_661438_1_85aabb3015459a6945209d5cbb34437f.gif

Hmm, I need some help here. I am not sure how well the salmon will pair with mashed potatoes with Marsala wine in them... but I could be wrong (I do that a lot!).
And I don't think a mixed drink should go with it, probably a nice wine but I don't know if it should be white or red, dry or sweet.
Sorry, someone else is gonna have to come along and help out at this point.

Sorry, it probably just sounds like I'm making way too big of a deal of out a drink... It's just that I am posting this in the 'alcoholic drinks' forum so that is the emphasis here. That is not the whole focus of my entire evening with this person it's just that in this forum, that is what I am inquiring about.

And, I have made the salmon and mashed potatoes and I think it works nicely. The marsala part of the sweet potatoes is not really significant... it doesn't do much, only like a tablespoon of wine. Just adds a slight flavor. It's good, try it.

I don't think you are making a big deal out of this, I am just not sure what wine would go well with what you are cooking. Sounds kinda important, so I don't want to lead you astray.
The food sounds good, I just may pick up the ingredients for it next time I am shopping and give it a try. The potatoes have me intrigued, I am very curious how they will taste and match up.
Hopefully someone will come along with good ideas on a nice wine or other drink to go along with it, then I will know what to serve with it if I make it, LOL!
See, I have only selfish reasons in all this ;)

I don't think you are making a big deal out of this, I am just not sure what wine would go well with what you are cooking. Sounds kinda important, so I don't want to lead you astray.
The food sounds good, I just may pick up the ingredients for it next time I am shopping and give it a try. The potatoes have me intrigued, I am very curious how they will taste and match up.
Hopefully someone will come along with good ideas on a nice wine or other drink to go along with it, then I will know what to serve with it if I make it, LOL!
See, I have only selfish reasons in all this ;)

Thank you. The point is: I'm just trying to make a nice evening for this girl and I think that having a nice dinner / drink can really contribute to that. I guess that is why I am at a cooking forum?

You're in the right place, we just need to tear some of these guys away from the Olympics long enough to help, LOL.

I vote for a Pinot Noir with the salmon. I prefer a light red wine with an oily fish.

Cartlidge and Brown Pinot Noir, nor Cycles Gladiator, will break the bank. Both pretty trust-worthy. I don't know if they are available in your area. If you go to a wine shop (not sure about that either in your area) and ask for a good pinot under $20, they should have one. Hard to come by, but, if they endorse it, it's probably good. Piko Pinot Noir from New Zealand is awesome, as well as Girasole or Soiree from California. Oddly enough, a French pinot called Jamelle, is also very good at under $13.00 a bottle. It does have those typical "earthy" notes to it though. Might be a bit much for a young palate. You might want to stick with California, typically more fruity and candy apple.

You might also want to consider a cava or a prosecco (Spain, Italy). Both are bubbly and so very good! A bit of raspberry liquor added to the wine would go nicely with your meal. A LITTLE, not a lot! :chef:

Well since the main part of the course is salmon I would say a nice smooth white wine like a good Riesling or Pinot Grigio. They are usually sweet and smooth enough to apeal to a wide asortment of tastes. A favorite of mine lately has been St. Michael Riesling....

I am not a huge fan of wine, but I like Riesling. We had a great one from Germany I believe called Speigle or something similar. Wine is the wifes area if you can't tell, LOL.
I was afraid to recommend the Riesling as it might be too sweet for the dish.

I would think that some sort of white would go better with salmon than a red but I am not a huge wine person. I kind of prefer whites although I do like Shiraz and Chianti... though I am not sure that either of those would go well w/ salmon.

Riesling is on the smoother sweeter side, I reccomended it because she was younger and I doubted she would be a wine aficionado......;) so I thought something a little sweeter might be more enjoyed.

Good Point. I am out of Riesling right now, but I have a Shiraz on hand and this wonderful Red Raspberry wine which is great for dessert, and a Frutishia which is what I usually like for seafood. I like the fruiter wines with fish, but a sweet and spice salmon I was leaning towards a lighter red wine. Is that what Pinot Noir is?

Its a lighter red I think, kinda dry. That is the best I can describe it. The one I have is Little Penguin brand.

Back
Top Bottom